585,925 active members*
3,425 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser Cutter source code

Hi All,

I am just wondering if anyone knows how to program in source code for laser cutters? I know you can use LaserCut 5.3 to output to the machine, but am assuming that it simply outputs a set of instructions to drive X and Y axis motors as well as commanding LASER on/off + power setting. I have seen the video of laser origami ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arjRtCjI9AQ ) and wonder if I can do similar with my G.Weike G900N machine (using LaserCut 5.3 for the output software). I am ok with working with G-Code, so would be interested in what it takes to make the machine tick.

Re: Laser Cutter source code

Buy best and cheap quality CNC routers for sale-Morn laser online. We have a wide variety of products like laser engraving machine, laser cutting machine, metal laser cutting machine, CNC router, CNC wood lathe, Plasma cutting machine and many more. We provide 1 year warranty of each and every product.

so morntech... how did that answer the question I asked???

Quote Originally Posted by Tony344 View Post
    so morntech... how did that answer the question I asked???
    Geeze Tony you didn't get it? You buy cheap cutter from morntech and it answers your question. You know the one about G codes. You know..."G codes=morntech" . How could you miss it? After I read your first post the first thing that came to my mind was "You know what Tony needs to do? He needs to buy cheap cutter from morntech" and I was I was just about to post that but morntech beat me to it. Tony you really need to come up to speed.

lol...... nice one buddydog...

So it looks like not many people have delved into the source code side of things with these laser cutters... maybe I actually need to look at the controller unit (get numbers/types etc..) and see if I can get more info that way.

I wish I did have the answer to your question. The software is something I haven't studied and wouldn't know a G code if it came up and bit me in the a$$. If your talking about the built in boards on these things they are locked down with a dongle and I have not read where anyone has broken the secret code yet. Most folks just throw out the boards, dongle and software and install a DSP unit or Laos system which I think is open source. I don't know anything about the G. Weike so maybe it has a proper controller. As a matter of fact how do you like your machine?

tony344 you need to give more info if you wont help what's the controller, software, bla bla(flame2)
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Can you not cut vectors in lasercut?

I run a Kern laser with Coreldraw and you can either cut vectors or engrave images depending on how you set it up in Corel.
    I don't think you should ever have to worry about hand coding something.

The original reason I asked was I wanted to be able to control the z axis to do similar to the Laser Origami video that I posted above. Vector cutting through Corel is fine, but you can't control the z-axis.

The controller in my machine is a Leetro MCP6515.... Currently using LaserCut 5.3 software.

you don't need to control the Z its the power output from you laser is what you need control off.

Z is only for setting your laser spot size.

yes I have a laser that has no electronic control of Z axis, the Z is controlled by hand by me for setting spot size to the material hight only.

I have a really good program and controller for running the laser and doing engraving and cutting and it cost less than one you can buy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

what's in the vid is the table moving down so that is a work around for controlling the cutting power so the material drops down slowly, so its not fulling down when the laser is still on and wreaking the work pieces.

if you have the material sitting on a table it does not matter.

you could say that is a wast of time doing that way it quite easy to make a jig of what you are cutting to sit on so it does not full down.

so you don't needed to do that way at all its just extra work required to do something simple

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OK, I see what you are talking about. The beam has to be defocused so you can heat up the plastic without burning or cutting it. Perhaps you can lie to your machine and tell it you are using a different focal length lens so it will move to the correct Z position?

I may be wrong but the first time I saw that video (not on this thread) I remember thinking maybe they were controlling the Z like that to un-focus the beam and spread it over a wider area for just softening the plastic instead of cutting or engraving it.?

buddydog correct its just a work around that is not required to do at all just have the material on a jig or on the table other wise you are just adding time to a cut what's not needed.

all the hard work should be on setting up your material doing the drawing then sending it to the machine push start then go have a coffee come back when it finished

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keebler and Buddydog are right... it's about defocusing the beam.... yes, you still need to back the power off, but you also don't want a tight focus as you don't get a wide enough heating to get a smooth bend in the acrylic. Anyway.. thanks for the interest guys..

if you can`t work out the code need just hand code it in if you have full control of the table (Z axis) it looks to be just moving back a forward in the first cut so its more than like some thing like this.

Z0 X0 Y 80 (start point)
    Z- 2.5 X100 Y40 (end point laser drop)
    Z-5 X0 Y80 (Start point laser drop)
    Z-7.5 X100 Y40 (end point laser drop)
    Z-7.5 X0 Y80 (last cut)

that will give a fine edge.

buts it looks more like it drops a long way so

Z0 X0 Y80
    Z-50 X100 Y 40
    Z-50 X0 Y 80
    Z-50 X100 Y40

you just need to work out how many back and forwards or what ever are need to get the correct bend for material size.

this will be an idea for you to try

or just get a plastic bender

they will have it in there cad software to do it by the look of it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have read through the info on doing this if your machines cad software cuts by the line colour you should just be able to set it to do it that way.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]