584,866 active members*
4,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Kflop/Kanalog Wiring for Yaskawa SGDH drives

Well... this is my first machine I am trying to throw together and I pretty much have 0 CNC experience but think it'd be a pretty darn cool toy. I have the X and Y axis operational after many hours on a manual mill and I can jog them manually using a pendant.

The X-Axis is a SGDH-04AE drive, the Z will probably be the same.
    They Y-Axis is a SGDH-01AE drive.

I would like to hook up the Kflop and Kanalog but always stall on the part of trying to figure out what to do next. In the spirit of documentation I decided to try to throw together a wiring diagram for everything. I also noticed there is a serious lack of "examples" of others wiring so maybe this will be of some help when/if I finish...

Could somebody review what I have and see if there is any issues that jump out?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Do the drives have any pseudo encoder output derived from the motor source, it does not appear to be any encoder from Motor to drive, apart from the pulse generator?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Attachment 214994

Its a serial encoder on the motor. Specifically a 13-bit incremental encoder. The model number is SGMPH-04AAE41D.

Here is the manufactures web page regarding the motor: SGMPH Sigma II

I have not checked the docs/polarities/etc. But, at first glance:

I see you do have the encoder outs connected for feedback.

The Kflop/KAnalog signals are not valid on power up.
    You are missing a circuit to keep the drives disabled until the boards are ready.
    I believe it is SwitchEnableAll that goes active when the boards are ready.
    Your motors could take off on power up.

You will probably want limit switches.

I will check back in a couple of days.

Dean

Hi Chris,

Your diagram looks good to me. Dean has a good point. Until KFLOP boots up (~3 seconds) the Kanalog opto outputs can power up on or off. Only the SwitchEnableAll is guaranteed to be off on power up and goes active after bootup. But you should really not get much motion as the +/-15V generator remains off until after bootup.

There are a few wiring diagrams in our Yahoo Group Files Section ie Kanalog Connections.pdf

Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

My plan was to use the optoisolators for the Servo-on command, it's good to know that there is the SwitchEnableAll option. As I have it built right now I have a circuit for an Emergency Machine Off button, I will wire in the EnableAll to that relay so the power to the drives will be cut if either the button or EnableAll is open.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I use the SwitchEnableAll relay to control the contactors that power my drivers, how do I go about the connection? It looks like the manual says that it switches to ground. Do I set what that ground is? Do I use my own 24v power supply to complete the loop? What did I miss?

Hi Chris,

The Kanalog Relay Drivers switch to Kanalog/KFLOP GND. The idea is that the relays will provide isolation. If you use the same 24V supply as with the opto isolated circuits you will defeat the opto isolation. Depending on what the opto circuits are connected to that may or may not be a problem.

Note any relay coil used with the relay drivers should have a reverse diode to avoid a huge negative voltage spike (spark) when the relay driver switches off.

HTH
    Regards
    TK

I have a smaller power supply I can use for that, And tie that 24v ground to the kflop/kanalog ground such as the ground on JP6?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes

Regards
    TK

Latest Wiring Schematic Rev2

New Drawing Posted. I added the limit switches and the second 24v power supply for isolation when using the SwitchEnableAll.

With regards to the limit switches, I can use them for home flags as well correct? Just have to setup the code to utilize them during the homing sequence?

Thanks!
    Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes you can use Limits for Homing. It slightly complicates the homing sequence as the limits must be temporarily disabled and then re-enabled afterward.

Regards
    TK

You need to disable P-OT and N-OT using params or wire pins (42,43) on the drives to ground to enable movement.
    You could make them part of your limit's circuit.

If you use one large line filter (instead of 3 smaller ones), you can use 1 contactor instead of 3 for the drive motor power.

You may want to wire your alarm resets pins to a switch(es) to ground so you can reset an alarm without cycling power or accessing a drive front panel.

A nice touch is to wire one Alarm+ to the 24v neg coil on a contactor/relay. Then wire the Alarm- to the next drives Alarm+... to create a series chain. The final Alarm- goes to ground.
    Use the contact in the e-stop circuit to cause an e-stop if any drive alarms.
    The 24V+ for the coil may need to come from a "ready" circuit because I do not see it in the diagram.

I use an output to signal software ready and use it along with switchEnableAll. Because, I want to make sure the software is running before applying motor power. The KFlop main thread sets the output.

It also use an output for a software e-stop. I guess the same software ready output could be used, but I keep them separate because I use a safety relay.
    Thread 1 stays running in e-Stop, so I use an input so the code knows the machine is in e-stop.

These are just some quick thoughts and they may not be complete or applicable to your situation.

Dean

Simple Jogging

I have all 3 axis wired and ready to go (I think). I'm a little lost on how to configure the motors in the software or even how to enable the "SwitchEnableAll" to activate power to the drivers. Point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
    Chris

Re: Simple Jogging

Ok, found a wiring mistake on the main contactor relay. The SWE starts once the board powers on now.

I am trying to configure the motors. I am running a Yaskawa SGDH-04AE for my X and Z-axis. Just concentrating on the X right now.

I have disabled the P-OT and N-OT as Dean meantioned, I currently dont have limit switches installed, so no Alarm circuit either.

I had a drifting issue initially. The DAC0 is outputting a -0.038v, so I adjusted the Yaskawa Driver reference voltage using the FN.009A setting and the axis sits idle now when enabled.

For configuring the motors, I have attached the picture. I was curious if there was a way to 0 the voltage output from the Controller itself? Wha is the proper method to move and tune the motors? Thanks, ChrisAttachment 241884

Re: Kflop/Kanalog Wiring for Yaskawa SGDH drives

Hi upsyd0wn

There is an Output Offset on the config screen but it is in DAC counts not Volts. But you are probably better off adjusting it in the drive. Or better yet disable the amplifier whenever the Axis is disabled as it is always difficult to have an analog signal be perfectly zero,

Regarding Kanalog Tuning you might read these Threads:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/dynomo...vo-tuning.html
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/dynomo...ion-kflop.html

HTH
    Regards
    TK

Attachment 242026

Thanks Tom!

I have done the following:

#1 Check that the DAC can command Velocity to the Motor/Amplifier - good, I did have to reset the reference voltage on the driver again which I thought was odd. Either the driver didnt save the reference, or the voltage from the DAC had changed...
    #2 Check the Encoder Feedback is working properly - Great
    #3 Enable the axis and check that it servos - Found that I had to change the gain to -1 as the axis was drifting, then good, held strong and did not allow movement
    #4 Perform a Move on the Step Response Screen to check the Response - plot is attached, looks good to me, the desired movement looks quick and accurate, what do you think?

#5 Tuning... not yet.

Thanks for the help! Very exciting to get things moving, I appreciate the help!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Not sure why the reference voltage changed. But it is very difficult/impossible to have an analog signal be perfectly zero with no motion. Analog signals will always have some error and noise. If your amplifier is sensitive enough (as it should be) there will be some movement. Better to disable the amplifier when the servo is disabled. The offset is not a problem when the servo is enabled because the servo will adjust the output as required to hold position.

That looks all correct and things are definitely servoing. Notice the Position (red) trying to follow the Command (blue). But it looks like you pused the "Step" button rather than the "Move" button.

The next step would be tuning. Increasing Gains, Max Outputs, etc. to improve performance. Also to determine what Velocity, Acceleration, Jerk the axes are capable of.

Regards
    TK

Tom,

I think this is as fast as I can go... my framing isnt sturdy enough to move faster, a little top heavy with my Z-axis(will have to fix that later). Anyway, I wanted to check in and see if I was on the right track.

The tracking looks to be dead on, the x-axis moves and returns to the exact point it started, the command and position are direcly on top of each other. The output graph doesnt appear to have excessive noise. So the questions are:

Does it look good?

Now that I have all of this information, what do I do with it?

Attachment 242276

Thanks!
    Chris

So I've been reading a lot between the two posts you had me look at earlier. I've actually started compiling what was said betwen them into a single document in hopes it will make it easier to get everything setup. Looks like I need to get the Jerk setup 10x what the acceleration is. The max 2047 to equal 10v so its not necessary to max the values out as much as I did. It also appears I jumped around too large on the PID settings, I will try to adjust the I in smaller increments to see if I can smooth the output. I also need to figure out the max following error. Hopefully I will get some time tomorrow(er today) to get this done!

Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12