585,722 active members*
4,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Dynomotion/Kflop/Kanalog > Kflop/Kanalog/Konnect - MR-J2S-xxA and everything in between

Kflop/Kanalog/Konnect - MR-J2S-xxA and everything in between

Hi,

I am totally new to commercial servo drives but would like to run the Mitsubishi MR-J2S-xxA servo drivers (and respective motors) on my mill build. From reading the DynoMotion website and all of the yahoo group posts I am a little confused. The mill will initially be the typical setup X, Y, Z axis and a spindle each controlled by mitsu MR-J servo drives. The drives in turn will be connected to a kflop board. I have chosen the kflop board as it offers the flexibility to the build and programming interface that I like. However, do I need the Kanalog or Konnect board? The problem with the KFLOP board, as everybody knows, is that it only take 3.3V on some connectors and is only 5v tolerant on others but commercial drives operate, such as the MR-J with +-10V so there is, if incorrectly connected the chance to destroy the board. I would just like to be pointed at either the:

KFLOP + Kanalog or the KFLOP + Konnect combo, which one?

And obviously a little reassurance that the selected combo if correctly connected won't blow my kflop board.

Feeling out of my depth on this one.

Thanks.

Re: Kflop/Kanalog/Konnect - MR-J2S-xxA and everything in between

K-flop does not have 0-10v output. For this you would need kanalog. It also has relay drivers and is designed for interfacing with industrial drives/ hardware.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bhurts View Post
    K-flop does not have 0-10v output. For this you would need kanalog. It also has relay drivers and is designed for interfacing with industrial drives/ hardware.
    Ben
    Ben thanks, that was my interpretation as well, I was looking for some reassurance that I was making the right decision. Again Thanks.

As Ben says, for 0-10V (it'll actuallly be +/-10V for servo drives) you'll need a Kanalog.

You may also find at least one Konnect board will make wiring things up far simpler. The Kanalog has limited Inputs and Outputs, which I found get quickly used up for anything but basic inputs. My last build on a lathe, I had to go the hassle of adding a PLC via Modbus for additional Inputs, as the Konnect wasn't available and the Kanalog didn't have enough inputs.

I could of used the available 3.3V inputs/outputs directly on the KFlop, however that would of involved making up my own interface board to handle the 24V control circuits. This would of been cheaper in parts, however by going with a PLC it allowed me to have all the tool changer functionality contained in the PLC. If I was to do things again, I would take the Konnect option.

m_c,
    Thanks, it's great to hear from people who have stuff working and be reassured that 'this' is what you need to move forward. There is a lot of information and is a little overwhelming. I can't wait to get it all in front of me and start trying to plug it together. Of course my biggest fear is overloading one of the circuits and blowing a board, expensive errors...

Thanks.

The best advice I think, is to start with making a list of what inputs and outputs you'll need (I usually use a spreadsheet for this), then once you have a complete list, decide what kind of In/Out it'll need, then map it to what is available.

By having a list of IO, you can rationalise it, decide if you really need to feed it back to the controller, find out more about you actually need that I/O for/to do, and it helps clarify what you're trying to acheive. As you'll be using servo drives, you also need to consider how you're going to control the enable/fault/reset terminals, how they'll interact with the E-stop system. Plus there will be lots of other areas you';ll need to consider, but by having a list, you'll be able to break it down into smaller items, which will be easier to research.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    The best advice I think, is to start with making a list of what inputs and outputs you'll need (I usually use a spreadsheet for this), then once you have a complete list, decide what kind of In/Out it'll need, then map it to what is available.

By having a list of IO, you can rationalise it, decide if you really need to feed it back to the controller, find out more about you actually need that I/O for/to do, and it helps clarify what you're trying to acheive. As you'll be using servo drives, you also need to consider how you're going to control the enable/fault/reset terminals, how they'll interact with the E-stop system. Plus there will be lots of other areas you';ll need to consider, but by having a list, you'll be able to break it down into smaller items, which will be easier to research.
    That sounds incredibly sensible. I will start making a list. Thanks.

Hi Wheelcake,
    Did you make any progress with Kflop and your Mitsu drives?
    I am also looking at the same combination and about to order the Kflop/Kanalog combination.