585,717 active members*
4,024 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X3/SX3/G0619/G0463 > jossa's G0619, going CNC one step at a time
Page 1 of 4 123

jossa's G0619, going CNC one step at a time

hello world..

i woke up one day and just decided to by a Grizzly G0619 i found on the net.
    in my country it is not as easy to buy one as in the US, so when a lightly used one appeared i just had to have it!

my motivation is that i have always wanted to learn CNC machining, CAD design and production of parts so this is a tread about me learning that.

i have a small workshop inside a old army bunker inside a mountain and i am putting my machine there:
    Attachment 239802

this is the unit i bought, put on a home made table (also bought a C3 lathe from the same guy, seen in the background):
    Attachment 239804

my first challenge is that in my contry we don't have 110V but 230V so the motor and driver does not work.
    i searched and read a lot about the Kelling drives, but i found the new store kelling put up not to have the 2200W motor that i wanted, so i started looking to china.

i wanted to upgrade to a more powerful motor since i will be doing steel work so a 2200W 3600RPM seamed a good idea. (i knew i had to modify the mount since it wont fit inside the head)

so a long story short, i found a company named Hipool: http://www.hipool.cn/en/
    when i contacted them i got in touch with a fellow named Aven there and he was very helpful and spoke English fluently

we talked for a wile and i decided to try and make the mod for a bigger motor and not go for the 1100W drop in unit, and so a order was placed for the 2200W motor and i was going into wait mode....
    2 DAYS later the parcel was delivered to my door!!! that's form the other side of the world! i was seriously impressed by that.
    Attachment 239806

inside the parcel the motor and electronics was nicely packed in Styrofoam and it looked like someone had cleaned the motor of the red storage grease before sending it, nice!
    Attachment 239808

the motor is huge! (compared to the OEM one):
    Attachment 239810

connections:
    Attachment 239812

what i want to do is make a similar mount to this that i found on the forum: (but i need to find someone to make it first)
    Attachment 239814

and i want to use the OEM motor pulley, and also a KX3 motor pulley to get into higher rpm's. covering a speed range on the spindle from 190 to 4200RPM (any thoughts on that?)

Re: jossa's G0619, going CNC one step at a time

i want to make a enclosure for the mill, so i used wood.

Attachment 239816

Attachment 239818

used a thick laminate for a table plate.
    Attachment 239820

used PU glue on everything and long screws to hold it together
    Attachment 239822

finished the bottom part, now i need to make a cabinet to enclose everything.
    the table is very strong and sturdy. no wobbling
    Attachment 239824

the plan now is as following:

-CNCFusion deluxe kit,
    -Kmotion controller
    -Automationtechnologies hybrid 4 axis steppermotot kit G540 4-Axis ? NEMA23 381 oz in ? NEMA34 906 ozin ? PSU 48V/12.5A | Automation Technology Inc

so going to control the G540 with the kmotion and having a 4'th axis for future expansion
    my plan is to skip LPT and make it future proof by going this route...

any one have any thoughts on this?

Hello Jossa, very good project!
    Can you control de speed of your new spindle motor with mach3 (linuxcnc)?

hi gozos.

yes.. there are several options for that..
    i have included the manual for the 2200W motor.. the 1100W is pretty much the same.

so as long as you have the right outputs it should work.

sorry to say but you are fooling yourself if you think an x3 can ever take advantage of a 2200 watt motor or cut steel very well, you should have looked around online to see what it's can actually do without shaking itself to death.

i know that 2200W is much more than nessesery, and i might even buy a 1100W motor so i don't have to make the adapter plate (hard when i don't have a mill)

but saying that a SX3 can't cut steel very well is kind of arbitrary.
    it is NOT a high volume, production machine that is designed to make parts 24/7 and do deep and fast cuts..
    what it is is a $1800 hobby machine that is best suited for light cuts and slow feeds..

when keeping that in mind it is not so bad, and having extra power is better then having to little...

Thanks for the manual!
    Can we have an idea of the price for this motor?

i would advise you to contact Aven at hipool.
    he speaks really good English.

the prices are fluctuating due to raw material prices, (this is after all a factory that normaly deals in bigger volumes then one motor) so i got my final price when i ordered.

and as i said, i am thinking of buying a 1100W motor to get the machine up and running ASAP

thinking about my choice of drivers

the G540 Vs. KStep Vs. Leadshine Vs. xxxxx?

Anyone have any experience with the KSTEP 4-Axis Microstepper Amplifier for KFLOP?

it would be nice to use matching hardware, but i don't know to much about stepper motor drivers, and 4 axis @ 48V/5A might be a bit close to the limit on a SX3

The best choice for me is the closed loop system from leadshine

what are you building?

btw, i can try to get Aven from Hipool to post contact info in my thread if you are interested? =)

I have started a SX3 conversion a few years ago... but no time for this project so it is in standby for the moment...
    https://www.youtube.com/user/MrGozos/videos
    http://goosse-engineering.com/FR_cnc...se.php?index=0
    I have bought nema 23 with keling digital driver. Digital driver is better than standard driver, you can connect it to pc and tune it. With linuxcnc I have good result.

But a friend has tested closed loop system from leadshine and it is a very good improvement: less noise, less heat, more speed... and encoder so no loss of step...

If I start a new project (lathe) I buy close loop system...

nice project! do you take assignments? thinking about my motor plate

i see.. this is interesting..
    but i bet it is pricy?
    and what kind og steppers does he use?

You have to buy the correct motor with encoder, but you can find complet driver + motor + cable on ebay for example
    Where do you live? here in europe
    Naturaly it is more expensive than standard stepper motor...

What do you mean by 'take assignments''? (sorry for my English :-) )

I live in norway

Do you find the prices in europe to be equal to that in the united states ?
    Normaly everything is more expencive over here :-P

My english is also not the best, but what i ment was: do you have a shop and would you be willing to make my motorplate adapter? For a price.. naturaly.. :-)

i have looked at the prices on the site that you gave me, and a setup of closed loop steppers + drivers (no powersuply included) is aprox. double the price of "normal" digital steppers from automationtechnologiesinc http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com

Yes is not the same price... but it is like servo motor but more easy for amateur
    Now the big majority of amateur cnc run with standard stepper motor, but I recommend you to buy minimum digital driver and not the standard.
    Here my config

thanks for your help Gozos!

i think i want to get a closed loop system,, it must be advantageous on a simple unit like the SX3.. we need all the accuracy we can get =)

do you know what the leadshine closed loop system steppers torque is? i can only find holding torque, is that the same? NEMA 23 only have 2 Nm holding torque.. and that is 283 Oz/in (and according to the Americans that is not even near the required torque on a SX3)

If you have the budget it is a better choice...
    mine is 282oz-in and if I remember it is the config sell by "promica"
    but you can buy nema24 with 3Nm if you want, its dimensions are close of nema23.
    yes the torque give for stepper motor is always the holding torque. here a curve torque/speed for the nema 23

I you use belt and pulley do not hesitate to buy a width of belt of 10 or 15mm minimum. Mine is 6mm and it is not "rigid" enough

Page 1 of 4 123