585,763 active members*
4,437 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > In Search Of a Simple Drill Bit Model file.

In Search Of a Simple Drill Bit Model file.

I've checked nearly all of the 48 pages of posts on the SolidWorks section of this forum hoping to come across a reference to an easily accessible file of a simple Drill-Bit. My reason for doing so is to try to reverse-engineer it (so to speak) in order to learn how to design and model my own specialty Drill-Bits.

I've watched some of the online tutorials on how to model a Drill-Bitt but, the good folks that put out these video tutorials zip through their tutorials so quickly that they appear to be made for SolidWorks users that are already at the same level of expertise as they are. I'm basically a self-taught newbie. Those tutorials that are made at a slower pace are done so by folks that speak another language than I and unfortunately, the clarity of the video images are such that I can't make out which keys or icons they're pressing in order to get the effects needed to model their particular Drill-Bit; and still others are done in three minute spurts with no audio other than a distracting music background playing.

Can anyone here offer up a generic SolidWorks drill bit model file? It doesn't have to be any specific size. If I have the file I can import it into my SolidWorks software and play around with it until I get to the point where I can make up my own drill bits and spiral-fluted reamer models. I don't think that it makes any difference but, I'm using the 2010 edition of SolidWorks.

Many Thank.

MetalShavings

Re: In Search Of a Simple Drill Bit Model file.

for CNC woodcarving - 3d puzzle - furnitures
    http://pagesperso-orange.fr/fabrun/

Thanks very much for your reply.

After three days of searching for such a tutorial I too finally found a simple tutorial on how to model a drill bit on my own using the "Flex" tool in SolidWorks. Now I won't have to "reverse-engineer" any model files in order to know how to do it myself; all without having to join another forum to gain access to such files.

https://d2t1xqejof9utc.cloudfront.ne...PNG?1328428764

I must have viewed a dozen different tutorials on how to draw up a drill bit and it was mind-boggling to me how complex some of them were compared to this
    simple tutorial I posted the link to.

Thanks again fabconv, for your reply. I really appreciate it.

MetalShavings

Might try McMaster Carr. I just downloaded a bunch of socket head capscrew files in SW format.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
    Might try McMaster Carr. I just downloaded a bunch of socket head capscrew files in SW format.
    They don't have models for things like drill bits.

I think a sweep (or swept cut) along a helix might be a more effective way to create a drill bit. Your initial sketch will allow you to control and change the flute geometry quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
    Thank you Darth Yoda. I'll check them out. I've already learned how to draw up the type of drill bit models I eluded to. Now I have to figure out how to run them
    through my SprutCam CAM software to create my tool paths. This is turning out to be the hard part of the process.

MetalShavings