585,886 active members*
6,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > If you were to do it, what would you choose? Torus Pro

Exclamation If you were to do it, what would you choose? Torus Pro

In about a months time, I will be upgrading my current double lock vise from Enco (I think it's INTERSTATE brand) and going with a dual set-up of 660U series 6 inch style vise. I will have these mounted the conventional way while my current set-up due to length of the vise is parallel with the X-axis. In any case, i'll most likely have a set of 12 inch soft jaws in one & 10 or 8 inch set of soft jaws in the other coupled with machined relief pockets for toe-clamps spaced equally along the jaws.

The question I am contemplating involves a Table Fixture Plate. My work is going to require me to utilize every square inch of machinable envelope the Torus Pro offers. I'll be working with, designing and machining fixture pallets for my production needs. I don't know if I'll be mounting a dedicated Tool Table directly to my Torus Pro table and making a Pallet that retains both of my new Vises. My other idea is perhaps having both Vises mounted to the Torus Pro table and then have the Fixture Tool Table mounted in the Vises...

Option 1: Fixture Tool Table mounted to Torus Pro Table

• Pros:
      No flexing = more rigidity
      Once dialed in and parallel, i'm good to go.

Cons:
      Will need to plug holes
      Vises will need to have a separate Pallet for easy mounting (Easy mounting, but will require a large chunk of plate for the Pallet)

Option 2: Vises mounted to Torus Pro Table w/ Fixture Tool Table mounted on the Vises

• Pros:
      Can remove Tooling Plate and already have access to Vises
      Can worry less about plugging the holes as it will be considered suspended, therefore I can blow air and coolant through
      Less metal required since Vises will no longer be mounted on a separate pallet.

Cons:
      Less rigidity with Fixture Tool Table being suspended in the Vises
      I worry about repeatably of mounting the Fixture Tool Table into the Vises

Maybe a tooling plate for the Torus Pro table and or for the vises is not necessary. Maybe simply making Pallets to be mounted in the Vises is the easiest and simplest way.

Regards,

-Jason

Re: If you were to do it, what would you choose? Torus Pro

Myself, I'd choose option 2, because mounting and removing those vises is going to be a pita. Plus the other pros you mention.

Jason

Other considerations for option 2, CONS:
    .....Repeatability of accuracy when re-setting ( e.g. vise lift)
    .....Loss of Z height when using tool plate say 3".

Other consideration:
    ....Frequency of changing between tool plate & vices.

In my case the vices are utilized far more often, so I go with vices mounted on their own plates and placed on top of the tool plate.

Guess it depends on your usage.

John

I would expect all kinds of problems with #2. The chances of the "table" being perfectly level when mounted only by the vise are slim and none. Rigidity will take a HUGE hit, and heavy roughing will be out of the question. And, of course, you'll lose Z range, which is already in short supply.

Personally, I try to avoid even using vises for production work, if at all possible. You'll get far more productivity using purpose-built fixtures, and spend much less time swapping tools, re-loading the vise, etc.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks for the input all.

Kvom - It does have some positives that's for sure. That Vise Pallet will be heavy if I go with option 1 too.

Unique - Yea, that's my concern for sure. I already don't have enough clearance in my Z-axis since my Stand not only has the leveling feet, but those leveling feet rest on 4x4's (each side). So my Spindle cable harness' hit my overhead lighting. It's good for now and works but when using long drills and long reamers, it's close. I definitely go with Vise use as I am machining prototypes but those parts will need to be mounted on a pallet fixture soon.

SCz- The last thing I want is the center of the Modular Tool Table flexing and bowing during use, puke! I really like the idea of aligning pre-made pallets against some dowels pins, clamping it down and machining and then swapping over to another pallet for perhaps another job and not lose too much reputability.

This is why I post here. Thanks for the insight and keep it coming.

So far, I only looked at Tosa Tools and it's cheap and not cheap depending how you look at it.

On a side note, I have always wanted to explore using pneumatic work-holding (not vacuum) but more like pneumatic vises. Getting off track here, that'd for another machine though!

Regards,

-Jason

Jason

I had a local machine shop make up 34 x 10 x 1 tool plate (Tool Plate Aluminum) for much less than a commercially available steel plated. If I were to do it again I would increase the Y to 12".
    Holes were 3/8-16 spaced 2" on X, repeated 1" on Y offset 1".

e.g.
    O......O......O......O
    ....O......O.......O
    O......O......O......O

John

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    That Vise Pallet will be heavy if I go with option 1 too.
    I decided on a pallet system for multi vise setup and 4th axis. Allows for fast change from one or other. I installed a 400 lb elec winch on a trolley track mounted to ceiling. I use it to lift and move pallets from bench to mill and back.