584,865 active members*
4,840 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > If I accidentally jog and trigger a limit switch....

If I accidentally jog and trigger a limit switch....

dumb question #1. I still often jog the wrong direction and sometimes hit the limit switch. What procedure do you guys use when that happens?
    1. jog back inside and re-reference XYZ?
    2. after re-referencing do you need to re-zero the workpeice on XYZ or should it still be good?

Re: If I accidentally jog and trigger a limit switch....

3) load a good version of standard mach3 and use soft limits (like a "real" control) and never worry about it again.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Quote Originally Posted by flatsix66 View Post
    dumb question #1. I still often jog the wrong direction and sometimes hit the limit switch. What procedure do you guys use when that happens?
    2. after re-referencing do you need to re-zero the workpeice on XYZ or should it still be good?
    I jog off the limit, reset and re reference the machine, reindicate the part, reset the program and you should be good to go. I dont like to hit a limit because of this....... I have been jogging the wrong way for about 3 years, I am getting better at it though, I just spent too many years cranking the table around of a Bridgeport.

I think the soft limits as mentioned earlier sounds like the way to go.
    mike sr

You shouldn't have to rezero your part unless you crashed into it.

Hey Mark, if you still have my phone number, give me a call when you have a problem like this and I can talk you through it. Just incase you don't check your PM.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Thanks guys, I'll check when I get home tonight if my version of Mach has a way to set soft limits...I don't recall seeing it but I wasn't looking either.

Steve, I'll send you a PM. Thanks.

Thanks guys, I'll check when I get home tonight if my version of Mach has a way to set soft limits...I don't recall seeing it but I wasn't looking either.

Steve, I'll send you a PM. Thanks.
    Tormach distributes Mach3 for their machines in a protected version that prohibits access to advanced settings like soft limits. They probably do this to make support easier and the system more reliable. On request they will send you instructions on how to gain access to the hidden settings for the version of Mach3 that came with your mill. Alternatively you can download a normal release of Mach3 which will give you access to those settings.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by WOTDesigns View Post
    3) load a good version of standard mach3 and use soft limits (like a "real" control) and never worry about it again.

Brian
    WOT Designs
    I wouldn't advise doing that unless you are an advanced user (as I am sure Brian is), or enjoy tinkering. I have run mach3 and Tormach Mach3 at different times, and suspect for most folk a simple plug and play as is, is a lot less stress. Keen

It's seems odd that Tormach would disable the soft limits. I find them to be very useful.

Almost a decade ago when tormach "locked down" their mach3 version it had bugs. Bugs are gone. No effing idea why tormach hasn't updated. Kind of ridiculous. Like having a car with no fuel gage or odometer. Just dumb.

Brian
    WOT Designs

honestly if reading the Mach manual or just copying your parameters over is advanced... What realm of impossibility is simple programming? Cuz that's WAY more challenging.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Almost a decade ago when tormach "locked down" their mach3 version it had bugs. Bugs are gone. No effing idea why tormach hasn't updated. Kind of ridiculous. Like having a car with no fuel gage or odometer. Just dumb.

Brian
    WOT Designs
    I hadn't realised the current mach3 is free of bugs...hmm...maybe I should change over again!
    OK by 'advanced' I mean the whole cad/cam/cnc controller/machining skills/etc, the whole overall deal, to get really good at, is quite a mission for the average human, and a 'kiss' plan is usually a good plan while you concentrate on getting all the essentials up to par. keen

None of the Mach3 versions are free of bugs including the tormach version. Hence my advise to load a "good" version meaning less bugs than others. If you're scared don't do it, but there is no reason to try to make it sound scary for others. Being able to jog without having to worry about hitting a limit, reset and re-touch everything which has the possibility to induce error or break parts or tools isn't "advanced" it's a hell of a lot easier IMO.

I made it one day without soft limits. The first part I machined on the tormach was a tool holder that measures 17.5" and I must have hit the soft limits 5 times while setting it up. That is ridiculous that doing nothing wrong requires an e-stop and reset and re-touch. Absolutely ludicrous since the ability IS ALREADY THERE. it's like being afraid of the backspace key so you tear it off the keyboard and just start over every time you make a typing error. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422133480828.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	265768

Brian
    WOT Designs

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    I hadn't realised the current mach3 is free of bugs...hmm...maybe I should change over again!
    OK by 'advanced' I mean the whole cad/cam/cnc controller/machining skills/etc, the whole overall deal, to get really good at, is quite a mission for the average human, and a 'kiss' plan is usually a good plan while you concentrate on getting all the essentials up to par. keen
    Mach3 is about as near bug free as you're going to get with this type of machine. I think a good part of the problem is a newbie gets a machine and when something goes wrong, right away it's the machines fault.

I have been running my machine for 3 1/2 years and the only time I have had a problem is when I had a stuck key on the keyboard. A $20.00 keyboard fixed that right up.

I've only been running and programming NC machines since 1965 and CNC's since 1981.

But what do I know?
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

None of the Mach3 versions are free of bugs including the tormach version. Hence my advise to load a "good" version meaning less bugs than others. If you're scared don't do it, but there is no reason to try to make it sound scary for others. Being able to jog without having to worry about hitting a limit, reset and re-touch everything which has the possibility to induce error or break parts or tools isn't "advanced" it's a hell of a lot easier IMO.

I made it one day without soft limits. The first part I machined on the tormach was a tool holder that measures 17.5" and I must have hit the soft limits 5 times while setting it up. That is ridiculous that doing nothing wrong requires an e-stop and reset and re-touch. Absolutely ludicrous since the ability IS ALREADY THERE. it's like being afraid of the backspace key so you tear it off the keyboard and just start over every time you make a typing error. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1422133480828.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	265768

Brian
    WOT Designs
    Fair points Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    Mach3 is about as near bug free as you're going to get with this type of machine. I think a good part of the problem is a newbie gets a machine and when something goes wrong, right away it's the machines fault.

I have been running my machine for 3 1/2 years and the only time I have had a problem is when I had a stuck key on the keyboard. A $20.00 keyboard fixed that right up.

I've only been running and programming NC machines since 1965 and CNC's since 1981.

But what do I know?
    Yeah... I hit "page down" on the haas by accident RIGHT BEFORE cycle start which skipped the tool change and height call and landed right on a z call... Renshaw probe hit the part at 400ipm. User error. I ALWAYS retract all the way now before calling anything!

Brian
    WOT Designs

Careful Steve Seebold, you're going to attract the Flashcut people with talk like that.

Brian,

I had a similar experience. I was amazed at just how quickly the probe's cable could wrap itself around a spinning passive probe. I was also amazed that Tormach gets close to $100.00 for a new probe tip and that they don't sell replacement cables. Fortunately, the cable was an easy repair.

Ouch! Bet that had ruined the afternoon! $100 tip?!

Brian
    WOT Designs

What newer version of MACH3 has a minimal number of bugs? I have been using a non-locked down version from about 3-4 years ago.

The dumb-down of controllers is not limited to Tormach. I have a CNC router which they now ship with the auto tool measurement feature disabled even when you pay extra for it, go figure.... That would not be so bad, except they didn't warn the buyers and they wasted their time and beat head on wall wondering what the heck is wrong.

Robert