585,712 active members*
4,217 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > I really wanted to buy V27

I really wanted to buy V27

Can someone email me when it's fixed to a point where it's worth testing (& not paying retail for BETA TESTING)

Ta,

Nick

Re: I really wanted to buy V27

It's a serious question,
    The new support model means all the guys here who were doing most of BCC's support work for them on an unpaid basis no longer have access to the latest, least buggy version and can't help,

- Nick

Just before V28 comes out!

Was the last update for V26 Released after V27 was Released?
    A good thing to ask your salesman may be, is the 45 days of support included with anytime you upgrade or is that just on original purchase of Bobcad?

Here's a question. Why do they sell software full of bugs then make you pay for support.

I use V27 EVERY DAY. I also have the latest update. I use it for 3D mold tooling work on a 2012 HAAS VF3. I currently have no issues with the software for what I do here. I have had several versions of bobcad over the years....and have certainly had some problems. But my V27 is working pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Can someone email me when it's fixed to a point where it's worth testing (& not paying retail for BETA TESTING)

Ta,

Nick
    I would like to know also
    V25.0 3 axis pro, standard sim, Bobart standard

I came here to look for some reviews on V27, as I am thinking of pulling the trigger on it this week. Honestly, the comments here are more than a little worry-some at best. I am upgrading my CAM software from Vectric cut 2d and cut 3d, and looking for something that is more powerful to run. I am basically deciding between Bob-cam V27, and Spurt-cam 9. I know neither of these are the top tier in the world, but I need something that I can use for light prototyping and low volume production machining. Currently running a Tormach1100 (being upgraded to a Haas later this year) and a 2axis turret lathe with Siemens 808d. Is there anyone with a positive outlook on this program, or should I hold out and pony up for better software?

I like the fact that their office is 30 minutes from my shop, but that doesn't help if there product is crap!

Any sound advice would be appreciated!

BoBCAD and Haas go together real nice.
    6 years now and am pleased.
    The negative things being said about BoBCAD is their Update policy.You have to be on a maintenance plan to get Updates.It is a new policy and most users hate it.
    Other than that,not much bad being said about BoBCAD,exept for an occasional Newbie getting frustrated with their lack of knowing the software.That's where the Forums are a great place to come and get answers.
    I suggest you Demo the software and come here or call BoB with questions before you buy.BoB is going to be a quite a bit more software than you are used to.Very powerful and capable.

Also YouTube has tons of video's on BoB

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    .It is a new policy and most users hate it.
    I don't "hate" the policy of "No support subscription = no updates OR fixes", if it's up-front and clearly stated and not just hidden in some small print somewhere and glossed over on the forums.

But that's not what happened and not what was stated here when the new support model was introduced for V26, It was stated that Fixes (or Critical Fixes[with no definition of Critical given ;-)] ) were to eventually be available to all users but with subscription holders getting Fixes and Updates first.
    Clearly this was "carrot dangling" to attempt to keep the sales to "non-subscribers" coming in as what actually happened, and it looks a bit suspicious to me, was that all Fixes for V26 after the one which fixed a terminally ill release were either classed as Non-Critical or were incorporated into Updates (i.e. small changes to make Fixes into Updates) and no-one without a support subscription got anything at all.

V25 Build 996 is lovely by the way and I'd firmly recommend BCC products to anyone who is going to make sure they have access to the final build of the version they buy, whether that's by purchasing a support subscription for the life of the product version or by adopting late enough in the development cycle that no-one's getting much in the way of problems with no work-around,

- Nick

Thank you for the clarification, I didn't know the history of any of this. I can see the frustration to be had by many!!!

Spent last evening playing with the software, I don't think I could go backward to my old software again!!!! Defiantly a case of I didn't know what I was missing. The ability to spend a day training there will be well worth the cost for me. ;-)

Thanks for the opinions....now I have lots of work to do!!! lol

BCC screwed the messaging on the Critical fix policy.

Any programmer will realize that the odds of there ever being a non-Update fix declines rapidly to zero as updates and features get rolled into the source tree.

But that's not what happened and not what was stated here when the new support model was introduced for V26, It was stated that Fixes (or Critical Fixes[with no definition of Critical given ;-)] ) were to eventually be available to all users but with subscription holders getting Fixes and Updates first.
    This was the point that really irked me. We purchased multiple seats of V25 multi axis pro + multiple seats for the lathe, and 2 seats for Solidworks. We also paid for 2 years of premium support. But, due to timing of release/purchase, our support ran out as they changed the policy for updates... They honored the part of updating us to V26, but did not honor the other updates. This means we were able to patch the V25 errors (as many as they offered), but would not provide access to the V26 patches. I say "patches" because a review of update contents, show there was very little updating/new features.

The software is usable, and for the money, work arounds will allow the hobbyist, to make good use of it. Especially if you wait for all the patches to be included in your purchase.