585,932 active members*
3,684 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > I guess I just better calibrate my probe weekly or maybe daily

I guess I just better calibrate my probe weekly or maybe daily

purchased a VF4SS and VF6SS under a year ago and I have already tossed some parts because the probe on the VF4 somehow lost .018 in it's Z value.....today the VF6 had a positive value for my probe height.

While I disregarded the first problem to me somehow hitting a button in error....I know for 100% positive that I in no way changed the value of the H for the probe today. I just did not hit enough buttons to make it possible.

on the good side the value was such a significant difference that when I ran graphics it had a z over travel error....but I can't even tell you how pissed I would have been had the value been closer to the original number and enough to slam my spindle down into my part at rapid speeds.

I don't know what the fawk is going on with Haas control software...but the bugs in it really need to be addressed. our old machines I trust a hell of alot more than the big money stuff recently purchased.

Re: I guess I just better calibrate my probe weekly or maybe daily

Quote Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
    purchased a VF4SS and VF6SS under a year ago and I have already tossed some parts because the probe on the VF4 somehow lost .018 in it's Z value.....today the VF6 had a positive value for my probe height.

While I disregarded the first problem to me somehow hitting a button in error....I know for 100% positive that I in no way changed the value of the H for the probe today. I just did not hit enough buttons to make it possible.

on the good side the value was such a significant difference that when I ran graphics it had a z over travel error....but I can't even tell you how pissed I would have been had the value been closer to the original number and enough to slam my spindle down into my part at rapid speeds.

I don't know what the fawk is going on with Haas control software...but the bugs in it really need to be addressed. our old machines I trust a hell of alot more than the big money stuff recently purchased.
    I will not say that a software bug is not possible, but I would be highly surprised if one was causing your issues. Is the software version the same on both machines?

You have 2 different machines, both having issues with the length offset for the probe changing. To me, that says operator error of some sort and I would explore that avenue first before troubleshooting the machine for problems.

First, are you the only one running this machine or are there others?
    If there are others, do they fully understand the probing cycles and the g-codes associated with them or are the probe cycles some mystery code that they are scared of?

I ask these questions, because for a long time I had a second shift operator that absolutely did not fully understand the probe cycles. Additionally this operator was the type to have several things going in his head at one time causing him to make errors he didn't even know he was making.

He was constantly inadvertantly running a cycle when it was not supposed to then resetting in the middle or he would inadvertantly add code to an existing probe cycle program causing it to not run properly. I have had many instances where the things he did, most I could not explain how he did it, but many times, the length offset of the probe would be affected.

Like I said, a sofware but could be possible, but if I were in there to troubleshoot, I would focus on the operators and their actions first.

Good luck!!

As a matter of experience I make it a point to try to back track from the error and figure out why something happened as to not repeat.

I am the only person who runs the machine...programmer and operator on 3 machines, sometimes 4. Both of our SS machines are new and run the same software version (i assume since they were purchased at same time)

The H value in my probe was -26.2700.

I did exactly 3 things before i sent the program to the machine...

1) ran spindle warm up cycle
    2) probed bore to set G54 offset
    3) probed G54 Z height offset.

I literally did nothing else....minus using handwheel to move table.

My G54 Z offsett was +.6485 so that tells me that the H value of probe was changed before I set my G54.

I did notice that by default once you hit the "Handle Jog" button it goes to the tool offset page...not sure what person thought that was a good idea....it should default to a screen that won't affect ANYTHING if you happen to rub a button...like the position screen would be great.....

Quote Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
    As a matter of experience I make it a point to try to back track from the error and figure out why something happened as to not repeat.

I am the only person who runs the machine...programmer and operator on 3 machines, sometimes 4. Both of our SS machines are new and run the same software version (i assume since they were purchased at same time)

The H value in my probe was -26.2700.

I did exactly 3 things before i sent the program to the machine...

1) ran spindle warm up cycle
    2) probed bore to set G54 offset
    3) probed G54 Z height offset.

I literally did nothing else....minus using handwheel to move table.

My G54 Z offsett was +.6485 so that tells me that the H value of probe was changed before I set my G54.

I did notice that by default once you hit the "Handle Jog" button it goes to the tool offset page...not sure what person thought that was a good idea....it should default to a screen that won't affect ANYTHING if you happen to rub a button...like the position screen would be great.....

The only thing I can offer at this point is to do a complete recalibration of everthing; 100%. Record the length offset for reference.
    Make sure everything is tight also.

After calibration then I would do random checks to the length offset to see exactly when it changes and by how much. Hourly, daily, weekly, whatever you think is appropriate based on how often it gets used.

All you can do is methodically step through the troubleshooting process and try to narrow down the cause as best you can.

Good luck on your search!

Are these your only probe machines? Something has gotta be odd with what you are telling it to do. I've literally NEVER had either probe go out of calibration. I check them every now and then but the worst thing for these is the anvil wearing out in the center. They will need to be ground/replaced depending on how often you use them every 6 months to a year.

But if these aren't your only 2 probe machines and the other machines run correctly then I am more willing to blame software.
    Tim

Same as Tim, I have an almost 8 year old probe setup that gets used all the time and have never had an issue at all. My only question is if you have the probe designated as heavy so it won't tool change at 100%?

I would write a simple macro to check the tool offset prior to running and if it's changed alarm out the machine. Something simple as follows.

V=tool offset variable

IF [#V NE -26.2700] THEN 3000 = 12 (Offset Has Changed)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    My only question is if you have the probe designated as heavy so it won't tool change at 100%?
    Does Renishaw recommend to run the probe as heavy?

I have an OMP40 that broke the stylus apparently without hitting anything. It was on a program that was run hundreds of times, one day the stylus was just sitting in the T slot below the tool change position, with absolutely nothing in the way for it to hit. And the same program was run 20 times or so that day right before this.

This was on a Mazak with the longer stylus and a relatively quick tool changer. Still, the probes been in and out of the spindle tens of thousands of times without a fuss, so its a little odd, but its set to heavy now.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK View Post
    Does Renishaw recommend to run the probe as heavy?
    Not sure if Renishaw recommends or not, but I always recommend that it run as Heavy. Why abuse a very expensive piece of calibrated equipment? This only applies to high speed tool changers anyhow, standard SMTC run at one speed.

The probe or tool doesn't actually change length. My guess is that your Z home is inconsistent. I haven't calibrated my probe in years and it's still giving no indication of even .001 off.