585,880 active members*
7,463 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > I found the best cutter for alloy and then lost it!

I found the best cutter for alloy and then lost it!

Hey all. I bought a 10 pack of single flute bits like these:

Aliexpress.com : Buy 5x 1/8"Titanium Nitride Coated Carbide Single Flute CNC Router Bits 22mm NEW from Reliable bit client suppliers on EVE CNC TOOL

They are excellent for alloy provided you keep feeds and speeds ok along with depth of cut. The original ones I found were either on Aliexpress or Ebay. Most likely Ebay but while I was in China it was locked out.

Anyway my problem is I have not been able to find them again with the 32mm LOC as the original. Best I can find is LOC 22mm. I have emailed a bunch of suppliers and googled it to heaven and back but no success.

Does anyone know the supplier who has the above cutters in LOC 30mm or more? I would be most grateful for assistance. Regards Boyd

Re: I found the best cutter for alloy and then lost it!

if you search ebay for "carbide 6mm 32mm" it has a bunch of results.

I had terrible time cutting aluminum with those cutters though, what speed/feed and DOC did you get good results?
    I bought them for cutting through some 30mm aluminum plate, but had better results with a 2 flute wood carbide bit, with less cutting length, and just letting the shank rub on that last bit.

Looks like a copy of a cutter you can get from Onsrud.

TiN is not the coating you want to use with aluminum...

Hi. Sorry you missed that they are 1/8". Yes very small I know but you lose a lot less material and your machine is not working nearly as much to make the cut. I had some with a LOC of 32mm. They were excellent. My only issues were with my gantry that was not strong enough and an uneven table. So sometimes I would be taking a 2mm cut which would break the cutter. Now I have rebuilt version 3 of my machine that is flat and strong, these cutters are amazing.

I have some 1/8" with LOC 22mm. I cut 0.4mm deep on a pass at 500mm per Min on 10000rpm. I am looking at faster speeds but this is working very well for now. I was really hoping someone would know where the 32mmm LOC ones were available that I had before!

The pic attached is 5083 12mm alloy. I cut this out and then ran a 0.5mm finish pass. It is in excellent condition and will only need a tab removal and debur.

Hey so if anyone has bought these cutters in LOC 32mm please let me know. I have searched and searched all through my history!

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    Looks like a copy of a cutter you can get from Onsrud.

TiN is not the coating you want to use with aluminum...
    Hi. I am getting awsome results with these on 5083. Can you expand on this? I took a quick look at onsrud and have a couple of their single flute cutters. They cut well but at a cost of the finish. What are you using? I really like the idea of the 1/8" bit to save material and not have a pile of chips. Regards

Harvey Tool - Coating Chart for Ferrous and Non-Ferrous Materials!

TiN tends to stick to aluminum. I mainly just use uncoated carbide two flutes, but I don't do nay quantity work.

Amana has some similar ones too but unfortunately do not see the long length. Solid Carbide Aluminum Router Bit by Amana Tool Router Bits

Update. Today I finished installing a couple of air blasters onto each side of my spindle. I ran a chinese, single flute carbide cutter and had a very successful cut out of 25mm 5083. The air blaster I put resin in the large holes of a lubricator and drilled them out with a letter drill so give a sharper blast and not wear out my compressor. The whole operation was cleaner and I beleive much cooler. No need for lubricant here. I have read about feeds and speeds and have not been able to work out some of the specifications of my cutters. So I just give up on the calculator and have found out the hard way. I guess I should research it better.

But. Cutting 0.4mm deep profiling passes with a 4mm single flute carbide cutter at 9000rpm with 450mm feed rate seems perfect but very slow. I do wonder, if I double my feed speed - do I just double my spindle speed as well? I am happy with what was cut today but am wondering how I can speed things up without compromising accuracy and finish.

Oh and Mr Keebler the tin coating on my other 3.175mm cutters wore off ha.