586,022 active members*
3,841 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Hyd pump randomly cuts out

Just got myself a little 85 ht20 hitachi with a fanuc 10t control. I have noticed that the hyd pump cuts out when the machine is just sitting as an example I was loading tool offsets jogging the turret around and the pump cut out.
    The control shows no alarms at all
    The hyd pump can't be restarted by pressing the standby button or by hitting estop then resetting the estop and pressing the standby button.

The only way I can restart the hyd pump is to turn off the control and restarting it.

It is nearly like there is a broken wire to the pump or similiar.

Any ideas? I have only run a couple of small programs and it has not cut out mid program

Re: Hyd pump randomly cuts out

does the pump get hot? maybe bearings are suspect and load on pump is too high

Doesn't sound like a broken wire, that would make it not restart even if you restart the control. I think it may be a thermal overload relay trip which is cutting power to motor and then resetting when you restart the control. Possibly due to a dirty/stuck/clogged relief valve, the cooling fan gummed up with old crud and coolant making it harder to turn, bearings, etc.

I'd check the physical parts of the motor first to make sure nothing weird is going on.

Thanks guys
    Hyd pump and motor has all been replaced just a couple of years ago. If it was a thermal overload wouldn't I have to physically reset that ?
    It happened yesterday again in the middle of a tool change while setting the offset for a new tool I added to the turret. When it happens the control is completely frozen up I can't do anything at all with it. No buttons work when I press estop nothing shows on the screen that it has become active like it normally would. Same with changing mode from mdi to auto etc.

So it would seem the CPU has a bit of a brain fart and that it causing it to turn off the pump

What do you think?

When that happens, does the LED on the motherboard show anything?

it looks like the pump issue is a side-effect. you probably have a CNC control fault

I think a control issue is likely. I will check the motherboard when it happens next. Just ran 20 odd cycles of a part and it didn't lock up once. If it is a control problem where do I go from their?

it could be anything. get the LED code from the motherboard first then you will have a start point.

Yes the display goes from 1 to c and the red watchdog led is lit. My manual says it has issues with the optic fibre and to check the error lights on the connected devices.

I have a module in the spindle drive cabinet that is connected via fibre and it shows errors I believe. I have attached a pic. I don't know if this module is the cause of the problem or another side effect of the problem.

And when in normal run mode

I pulled the cover off the CRT and there is an optic fibre going to that also. I didn't think to take that cover off till after I rebooted the machine but will check next time it happens to see if the red err led is lit or not

Check the voltages on the motherboard; I like +5.1VDC on the +5V test ; better slightly high than low.

I have looked in the manual but can't seem to find a voltage test instruction anywhere.

Where would I test the voltage?

probably easiest to find the output plug on the power supply and check that. it should read higher than 5.0v

also, there should be a large motherboard with a 7-seg LED and visible boards plugged into it
    your control doesn't look like a 10-series?

here's the power supply check procedure from the 10-series maintenance manual....

Thanks for that.
    Pretty sure it's a 10. Will take a pic of the control.

I saw that section of the manual but thought I would be checking a location on the motherboard. Will check out the voltages.

Here is the motherboard.

Power supply mounted to the motherboard

I found the test pins. I assume the a0 pin and the +5v pins are the 2 o would check

Don't know what the a0 is. chassis is a good ground.
    Remember, the power supply maybe intermittent, so this is not a conclusive check.

yep, thats a 10 alright. so what was the other yellow box pic you took before?

Page 1 of 2 12