585,898 active members*
5,195 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: How Many TTS

How Many TTS

How many TTS holders do you have and what specifically do you keep in them?

Thank you for sharing,

kr
    http://www.parmarng.org/freeidaho/default.html
    http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=999415

Re: How Many TTS

I have 24 +- er 20's, I use them for anything thats used regularly (endmills drills), and I use drill chucks for the seldom used drills etc.
    mike sr

About same, couple dozen.
    Set screw type holders are mostly holding indicators and some conversation milling end mills.
    Drill chucks for odd drills like mike noted above, ER20's hold most all the everyday and Sunday best tools.
    Throw in a couple special tool holders like arbor saw, fly cutter and dedicated tool height indicators to fill in most of my gaps.
    Oh, and a tc tap head also. That has turned out to be a fun and well used tool to have, I put tap holes in every program, just for fun.
    I keep them in acrylic racks that hold a dozen. I found a dozen tools in a rack to be about right size and weight for me.
    md

ps tormach should sell those tc heads in sets with a discount. "one tension compression head, one er20 holder for drill/reamer and one er20 holder for clearance drill / reamer and er collets to match tap, size and clearance drill/reamers, Takes a some time to set all this up for each tap size and having dedicated tools for it would be expensive but easy to use in programs and on mill.

I Have maybe 20. Mostly screw type holders for end mills for every day use. I use some ER 16's and ER 20's. For odd sized end mills and rigid tap collets. I have one small chuck for odd drill bits that I use. It is the longest every day tool that I use. Over 3" offset from my Master Tool. I have all kinds of specialty tools, but I do not keep them in TTS. Seldom used, so they came with or fit into R8 collets .

I cut out my tool holder from SS sheet. .063" I think. Cut it on the plasma cutter and engraved the tool numbers as well. It is a 24 tool holder. I just installed a couple pieces of wood on the sides for it to sit up on for the TTS. Works fine I think.
    Lee

I have a 770 and work mostly in aluminum. I have 12 ER-20, 6 set-screw holders (4x 3/8", 2x 1/2"), 1 medium drill chuck, 1 diamond engraver, 1 flycutter, 1 Haimer TTS.

Most common bits:
    - 1/16" carbide drill-mill (2fl, 90-degree point, "sharp" point is great for deep engraving)
    - 1/8" carbide chamfer bit (2fl, 90-degree point)
    - 1/8" carbide endmill (2fl, square, 1/2" cut length)
    - 1/4" carbide endmill (2fl, square 1/2" cut length)
    - 3/8" HSS endmill (2fl, square, 1/2" cut length)
    - #2 HSS spot drill
    - HSS jobber drill bits (various)

For my recent projects, all roughing has been done with the 3/8" HSS endmill, then various pocketing and finishing passes with the 1/8" endmill, then chamfering/engraving, then swap clamps and final cut-out profile with the 1/8" or 3/8" endmill (possibly flipping over the part along the way). This gets me parts up to ~1" thick with a very small set of (cheap!) tools and good finishes.

--Bryan

I must have well over 30 and would still like more. I've been thinking of buying a bunch of new ER-20 holders for tap and body drills of the sizes I most often thread. After that I may add more for the counterbores. I use mostly drill chucks for that purpose now, but Z clearance is an issue on some of my parts, especially for the larger fastener sizes and almost all of the counterbores.

Mike

Howdy,
    Thank you for all the responses.

Bryan, thank you. Your answer most closely gives that information I was looking for. Specifically, which specific tools are kept in holders.

Thanks again,

kr
    http://www.parmarng.org/freeidaho/default.html
    http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=999415

I only have 11 (so far).
    2 - 3/8 holders
    1 - 1/4 holder
    2 - 1/2 holders
    1 - T/C Tapping Head (ER 20)
    2 - 1/2 Jacobs Chucks
    3 - ER 20 collet holders
    plus 1 full set of Metric and Imperial ER 20 collets.

When I bought my machine, I also bought 4 each 1/4, 5/16/, 3/8 and 1/2 set screw tool holders. I also bought 6 each ER 16 and ER20 collet holders.

I hav added a few more since then. I hope now I have all I need.

When I had my shop, I had 2 machines and 75 CAT 40 tool holders. I had enough holders that I could have the tools for the next job ready while the current job was running.

I don't want or need to work that hard any more.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

More than 60, my tool rack holds 54 and I have some less used ones in another tray and some extras in a drawer. I hate swappping tools. ER holder can have mills, drills or speciality cutters.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

~60 or so...
    I have a collection of just about everything...
    if a tool/device can fit in a TTS tool holder I probably have stuck it in one at one point in time...
    but mostly ER and drill chucks...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TOOLING 1 002.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	234764I have 88, plus a few odd ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Sp-4renegade View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TOOLING 1 002.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	234764I have 88, plus a few odd ones.
    Impressive!
    What speed do you run a couple of them huge cutters at?
    I would need foot pedal on pdb and 2 hands to load a couple of those
    md

If you go to Youtube, Tormach 1100 RPM MACHINE tooling test, you will see a tool I designed,
    I ran that at 5,000 rpms. Some of the bigger ones I use for wood or plastic, I don't use those for cutting
    steel, the saw blade I do use for slitting alum, slow feed and about 750 rpms.

I'm getting rid of some TTS if anyone is looking to add to the collection. Darkon ER20's, have QTY 10, and QTY 2 drill chucks.

PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

Quote Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
    I'm getting rid of some TTS if anyone is looking to add to the collection. Darkon ER20's, have QTY 10, and QTY 2 drill chucks.
    If you don't mind, why are you selling? What size collets are included. if any?

Mike

Changing machines. Have 1/2", 3/8" 1/4" and 1/8" a few of each I think. I can check more.
    PM-45 CNC conversion built/run/sold.

I also use TTS tools on my manual lathe such as the TTS drill chuck mounted on a KDK 5C bar for drilling using the carriage.

Don Clement

I have about 20 myself.