585,982 active members*
4,790 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

how long can i conserve a co2 laser tube

Hello all.

How long can i put away a co2 40Watt laser tube that i not use.
    And how is the best way to store the tube.

Thanks all

Remove the water from inside the tube. You can use an air compressor with low pressure to blow it out. Cover the metal leads to prevent corrosion. Wrap the tube so the glass is safe from breaking--foam is good. Place a non-adhesive cover over the end with the output coupler, so that the dust does not accumulate on the optic, and it is not exposed to the air. Place it in a closed box for storage, with a few of the moisture absorbing packets.

The quality of the seals used in the manufacture of the tube will determine the rate of outgassing of the helium (smallest element of the gases used to make up the sealed CO2 laser).

Some of our customers have used the glass laser tubes for five years. Not sure about a maximum storage time.

We sell a Mahoney laser power meter probe that is useful to test CO2 laser power. You can measure before and after and report your findings.

You better use this laser from time to time. Once or twice a month for few minutes.
    Laser is like a car. If you do not use it it goes out of order quicker than during normal use.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

Strangely enough I'm agreeing with Cine again, mode of failure for sealed DC tubes is usually contamination of the gas by oxides forming on the electrodes inside the tube. Leaving the tube dead stored will cause the oxides to form rendering the tube useless in around 6 months to a year.

Outgassing is a product of glass tubes (low quality ones anyways) and isn't easily solved (not with hobby level equipment anyways)

cheers

Dave

Re: how long can i conserve a co2 laser tube

Resurrecting this thread for a question. Is it helium or gas leaking from the seals or outside air leaking into the tube the problem? Depending on whichever it is could storing under pressure (air or helium), or vacuum stretch the time of storage? Looking for an answer that states the real physics not just urban legend concerning the tubes. I'm leaving the question of corrosion out of this for now.

Resurrecting old threads is stupid.
    It was told long ago. Chinese glass lasers need to be used from time to time to keep them alive.
    Real lasers like Synrad, Coherent, or also glass GSI doesnt.
    And this has nothing to do with leaking.
    Laser is a product that must comply very precision conditions of preassure and mixture. Any leaking would destroy laser right away. In less than a second.
    This is phisical reaction because of cheap technology.
    Everuone wants CHEAP products from China, so they make it cheap.
    Have you ever heard about vacuum plating?
    So there is high vacuum inside CO2 glass laser and cheap electrodes are slowly emitting molecules that are covering OC and HR mirrors.
    This makes laser is loosing power.
    If the laser electrodes were made with much more expensive material (silver + additives) reaction would be much slower.
    But everyone wants it to be cheap as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by cinematic2 View Post
    Resurrecting old threads is stupid.
    It was told long ago. Chinese glass lasers need to be used from time to time to keep them alive.
    Real lasers like Synrad, Coherent, or also glass GSI doesnt.
    And this has nothing to do with leaking.
    Laser is a product that must comply very precision conditions of preassure and mixture. Any leaking would destroy laser right away. In less than a second.
    This is phisical reaction because of cheap technology.
    Everuone wants CHEAP products from China, so they make it cheap.
    Have you ever heard about vacuum plating?
    So there is high vacuum inside CO2 glass laser and cheap electrodes are slowly emitting molecules that are covering OC and HR mirrors.
    This makes laser is loosing power.
    If the laser electrodes were made with much more expensive material (silver + additives) reaction would be much slower.
    But everyone wants it to be cheap as much as possible.
    Thank you for your reply. Many forums request you reuse thread titles as much as possible but whatever.
    Thank you for the information on the tubes. I was just wondering because I would like to keep a spare for my K40 type. I seem to be using it way more than I thought I would and today I was cutting 1/4" black acrylic and had to run 65 % power twice around and that got me to thinking I may be doing some shortening of the life if I do much of it and I see more of that kind of cutting coming up. Most of the time I'm cutting 3mm plywood at 35% power so running at higher powers I figure it won't last as long. I've had my machine three weeks and I seem to be running it 5 hours a day and that with rest stops in between as the water in my bucket approaches 25 degrees I shut it down. Can't believe I got it and shipping for under 500 bucks. Even my wife has fallen for it. Friends and relatives are requesting things. I don't think I want any downtime or I may be in trouble. :-). Thanks again.

Could you get around the outgassing (or slow it down) by storing the tube in a pressurised container? Pressurised with what I'm not sure but can the hobbyist get hold of the right mix of gasses? (from one of the refillable types maybe?) .

Quote Originally Posted by Perfo View Post
    Could you get around the (or slow it down) by storing the tube in a pressurised container? Pressurised with what I'm not sure but can the hobbyist get hold of the right mix of gasses? (from one of the refillable types maybe?) .
    Once again.
    Glass lasers do NOT loose power because of any outgassing.
    So what do you want this pressurised container for?

He don't read your previous answer, cinematic2.
    (Just to remind - degradation of cheap electrodes which are slowly emitting molecules that are covering OC and HR mirrors.)

Do anybody know/test if it will be possible to build inexpensive system - "active storage" for unused laser tubes ?
    I mean - for example fluorescent bulb ballast (~700V with diode/condenser voltage multiplier) which provide enough power to STOP degradation (without real "firing" laser beam) and started with a timer for example every 3-4 days for few minutes.