584,802 active members*
4,738 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

homemade lifting bar pics!

Check out this lifting bar that I machined at work during my lunch break. I used some 3/4" plate that I found laying around the shop. Now all I need is a mill to lift!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20141118_122115.jpg  

Re: homemade lifting bar pics!

Nice!:banana:

Nice work! That much 3/4" plate must have cost a pretty penny. When I need steel plate I cringe these days! That's true even when buying drops.

Beautiful work Sonny.

Here is my rough and ready solution.

Cheers. keen

That's scary. If anything happens to the allthread, it will take out a big chunk of the Z casting. Of course in that unlikely scenario one would likely have bigger problems to deal with.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    That's scary. If anything happens to the allthread, it will take out a big chunk of the Z casting. Of course in that unlikely scenario one would likely have bigger problems to deal with.

bob
    Not to mention the very large bending stress on the single bolt the chain hook is attached to.

I don't like using chains at all for lifting these machines. I use heavy duty ratcheting cargo straps. Not only are they more than strong enough (Each strap is strong enough to hold the entire weight of the machine by itself, and I usually use 3-4 of them), they won't damage the paint or sheet metal, and they can be adjusted easily, even with the full weight of the machine on them, to keep everything level. They're even cheaper than chain.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Hi guys.

It was fine - I have lifted several times with this. Don't worry to start with I overloaded the machine with another 100 kilos while just off the floor to check all was well.

Although to be fair I lost that strap and made a slightly heavier one with a shackle connection when my second tormach arrived.

Keen

Wow Keen that is a pretty wild design. Here in the states we would call that Gettin R' Done Redneck style! The time I worry the most when moving these machines is when you are putting them back on their stands and have to impart a twist or pressure during the final descent to get the base to line up with the pads on the Tormach stands. When I designed the welded box tube base for my 2nd machine (the much lighter 770) I tried to provide a very large landing area for the base. I used 2x5" wide 3/16" thick box tube for the landing areas (run across the entire span) and it simplified things quite a bit.

You all make me nervous now! But I climbed on the machine plus some heavy chucks when it was just off the ground and jumped on it - so if it can stand that surely it is fine when hanging high in the sky ......

less keen

Nicely done!

Here we are I found a pic - super safe now with a shackle and welded on gusset......

Keen

Nice work, but in my opinion Keen has a better lifting solution. I have always maintained that the best solution to a problem is the simplest. While you have made a nice piece, the materials and effort involved far exceed it's value as a tool. Even if you are in the rigging business, it is clearly designed to lift and balance only one machine, probably only one time, so it then becomes a fancy paperweight. Keen, on the other hand, accomplishes the same task with little time and materials.

I'm impressed with how clean that machine looks Keen! I can tell that you give it lots of love and attention.