584,808 active members*
5,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Hey Guys! I have a new project and need a little advice.

Hey Guys! I have a new project and need a little advice.

I have been on the forum in quiet a while. I have been really busy at work.

I gathered a ton of info from the forum to build my router several years ago. I have also build another since then.

Anyway, to make a long story short. I am an archer when I have time. During hunting season I seem to do a lot of bow repairs for friends and what not. Which, eats up time I don't really have. Time I could send making my own projects.

A guy I know in Denmark has built one these jigs that I want to build. He used an old Xray machine an tore it apart and used it's steppers to make this machine. He posted a video om youtube a year ago to so off his new "toy". I have been wanting to start this project for that time. Here's the link to his video...

Making of a 4 color compound bow string - YouTube

So I started building the jig on Sunday. I am as far as needing to build the motor plates....that's when I stopped. My plan was to use two Nema 23's for this build. Now, I have never tried to get two motors to run together but opposite directions. Then be able to reverse that. The more I thought about it to more my brain turned to mush....

Now I am reaching out to my life line at this forum....you guys are my only hope.

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Hey Guys! I have a new project and need a little advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Drazic View Post
    I am as far as needing to build the motor plates....that's when I stopped. My plan was to use two Nema 23's for this build. Now, I have never tried to get two motors to run together but opposite directions. Then be able to reverse that. The more I thought about it to more my brain turned to mush....
    When you're wiring the steppers, switch the wires so the same command runs one clockwise and the other counterclockwise. Your software program will need to send the same command to each stepper at the same time (search how two leadscrews are run simultaneously on a single axis)

Re: Hey Guys! I have a new project and need a little advice.

Thanks elfrench...

In your opinion is a nem23 with 400 steps a good choice for this project? I also have a CW230 controller and a 24 volt 6.5 amp power supply lying around. Think these will be alright as well?

I dont plan on working this jig to death....just using it to make a few strings and save me time of doing it.

Thanks so much for your help.

Mark