584,871 active members*
5,211 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Help with Sheet metal box and chamfer corners

Help with Sheet metal box and chamfer corners

I need help with the drawing of a metal box and chamfer bottom and top corners. I did manage to draw the box in solifworks but for the life of me do not get the cottom corners chamfer done.
    Hope someone can help me or tell me how to get it done.

I added the 2 files to show what I want. Hopefully this will help to explain what I plan to do.

Please, any help will be appreciated!

Re: Help with Sheet metal box and chamfer corners

you need to use the mitre flange option

Thanks is just what I needed! Thanks a lot!!

Hope will be able to ask you some more questions. but will first try to draw the new type of boxes (panniers for my bike). But again, thanks a lot!

HI I need some more help

I attached the bottom section of the box (without lid). I started to draw the base and then use miter flange to draw the profile for the sides. and it worked perfect.

But due to limitations on my bending machine, I need to:
    a) have base with a 20mm lip of 45 degrees.
    b) the sides with the top bents I need to have them made form 2 sheets that kind of wrap around the base.
    c) it then will use rivets to fasten the pieces.

So what I need to do is to draw the base with the small lip - (this is not the problem)
    then I need to draw the sides that must have the correct profile and wrap around the base - and this is where I do not know what to do.
    The lip on the base needs to be inside the sides to allow me to rivet the sides to the base. The sides also needs to be in 2 sections and also have a edge flange / lip to allow me to river the sides together as well.

Please, guy any help or advise will be great!

dont have winzip ...

this might give you some idea's ?

ciao

Thanks for this!

I did draw the rest of the main box like the bottom and also added the holes on the bottom plate for the rivets. But I cannot get the holes to appear when the sheet in not flattened and also how do I make the holes go through both parts in the assembly?
    Attached Files Attached Files

you need to draw the holes in the part before you flatten it ..

so open one of the parts and draw the holes where you want them , i opened part3 and placed a few holes on the part (sketch on part)

now you open the assembly and you edit the other part .. part1

you click on the same face where you want the holes to be on part1 ... click convert entity and select all the holes ... cut extrude

hope this helps

I have redrawn the holes and also added a "lip" or end flange where I can fix the main box end sides.

I then added the original lid (box2-upper) and noted that the dimensions are no longer the same. How can I up-size the bottom 2 parts (part 1,3) to be the same measurements of the original size?

Also why do I get the error message of the new end flange I added?

I included the new box with all the holes as well as the original box with lid.

Guys, I need more help. this time with an error I get when trying to do extrude cut.
    I manage to draw the box as I wanted it and used an edge flange to join the end sides. I am trying to drill holes on the end sides to rivet the sides.
    The process I followed was:
    I selected the side and click on sketch and continue to draw the circles of where I want the holes to be and exit sketch mode. I then selected the circles and click on extrude cut. but then I am getting an error that the thickness of the extrude cut will be zero. event when I try to specify the depth of the holes.

What is wrong?

I attached the drawing if someone can have a look - PLEASE!

Its a problem with your Base Flange 3 feature. When it folds around, it interferes with the side wall. Revise so they not to overlap and you cut will work. Also you have to change the lines locating the holes to construction/centerlines

Mike