584,857 active members*
4,189 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > help with capping a radius on the top of a hole

help with capping a radius on the top of a hole

Trying to cap a .008 radius on the top of a .312 diameter hole. Every thing that i have tried is leaving a small pc of pie.What tool path is the easiest to do this with? Trying to use a ball endmill and only grapping the radius for the surface. This seems like it should be so easy but it is not working.
    Thanks in advance

Re: help with capping a radius on the top of a hole

Quote Originally Posted by nv7000 View Post
    Trying to cap a .008 radius on the top of a .312 diameter hole. Every thing that i have tried is leaving a small pc of pie.What tool path is the easiest to do this with? Trying to use a ball endmill and only grapping the radius for the surface. This seems like it should be so easy but it is not working.
    What do you mean by "cap" or "grapping" ?
    - do you mean to create a dome, so the tool will not dip into it when surfacing ?

Are you surfacing an area that has holes or cavities ?
    - try using "Remove Boundary" under the surfacing tab ( only works on surfaces, not solids. And it must be inside the outer surface boundary )
    --> select the surface, move the arrow ( by moving mouse) to near the hole to make the hole disappear

The easiest way to explain this is that I am trying to put a .008 radius around the top of a thru hole.Basically I need a precision edge break.Grapping should have been grabbing.Picture a hole thru a plate that needs a .008 radius around the top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by nv7000 View Post
    The easiest way to explain this is that I am trying to put a .008 radius around the top of a thru hole.Basically I need a precision edge break.Grapping should have been grabbing.Picture a hole thru a plate that needs a .008 radius around the top of it.
    I assume aerospace component ??

Easiest ( when top surface is flat ) is to use 2D_Contour with a corner rounding tool.......would be ideal if the rad was larger, but it can be done....bit fiddly to initially set

If top face is NOT flat, use Surface Flowline ( ballnose or bullnose is OK ), play with op params to get the tool to surface the rad only in a CCW direction ( in the Gaps tab, do NOT use Direct step motion between cuts, it may gouge ), going around uses "cusp" height to control step-over

Top surface is flat.We did not want to use a corner rounding tool because of the pc being hardened to 58 Rc. Every tool path that we have tried has not worked.Not sure what we are doing wrong.We ended up finishing the part on a a jig grinder to get the thing shipped. Now we just want to know how to generate this in mastercam. Once again I think this should be so easy to do.