584,858 active members*
4,947 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Help ID these steppers and wiring

Help ID these steppers and wiring

Hi.

I started this in the Xylotex forum, but it is really a question about my motors more than my controller.

What got me into this was checking my Xylotex controller to see whether it was feeding my motors the correct current. The motor is the P21NSXC-LSS-NS-03. I got three of them with my Xylotex controller approx. ten years ago.

The motor tag says 1.75A. I checked my Xylotex board and it seems to be feeding closer to the Xylotex maximum of 2.5A.

But now I've been asked if I'm sure the motors are wired bipolar SERIES, and not bipolar PARALLEL. if they're wired SERIES, then my current supply is too high. If PARALLEL, it is adjusted correctly.

But I've done a bunch of googling and cannot tell for sure whether these motors are capable of both series and parallel. And I've tried to find pictures of how the Molex connectors are wired for series vs. parallel, and cannot really find anything definitive.

So I'm asking here. I'm including pictures of a motor, and the connectors. As you can see the connectors are labeled 1 through 8, with red (A#) wired to pins 1 and 2, black (B#) wired to 3 and 4, white (A) wired to 5 and 6, and green (B) wired to 7 and 8.

I think that is serial wiring, not parallel. And I'm not sure these motors can be wired both ways. If they CAN be wired both ways, then I think I should modify the wiring so they're parallel, but I'm not sure how to rearrange the wires. If they can't be wired as parallel, then I should lower the VRef so I'm not using more current than necessary.

So any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1.jpg   photo 2.jpg   photo 1.jpg  

Re: Help ID these steppers and wiring

Looks like they are wired parallel. Notice how you have four wires, each going to two terminals.
    1&2
    3&4
    5&6
    7&8

Just like in this image from a PacSci installation bulletin.
    This doc and a PacSci data sheet can be found in the files section of the Xylotex Yahoo group.

Yes, those motors can be wired both bipolar parallel and serial. I have PacSci motors on my machine, with the same connectors. (different motors, though).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pacsci.gif  
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by cgallery View Post
    I got three of them with my Xylotex controller approx. ten years ago.
    if they've already been running for 10 years with this setting I wouldn't worry - also the connector seems to wire the motor parallel as ger21 said.
    But if they've never run before or you just like to check: run them and measure temperature.
    The label states delta t = 90°C. This + room temperature will be 110°C: So if you put a drop of water on it and it just slowly boils away everything is still fine.

Christian
    My CAM Software and CNC Controller: www.estlcam.com

With the motors wired bipolar parallel, the rating will be 3.5 amps, as I mentioned in the other thread.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thank you gentlemen.

Gerry, thank you for that image and telling me it is the answer. I had seen it before but hadn't realized until you posted it again that my motor IS wired like that.

This is a very helpful site, I truly appreciate all the help I get here.

Quote Originally Posted by cgallery View Post
    Hi.

The motor is the P21NSXC-LSS-NS-03.
    Ger21 gave you correct info.

Here is the full catalog on these and other PacSci steppers.

Specs on your exact single stack model are shown on page 46; all 3 hookup ways (Bipolar series, Bypolar parallel, Unipolar). Wiring and color codes on pages 49/50.

Enjoy.

not sure why website wont post the uploaded <2mb manual. try again here....

last try to upload; I will upload a nonsense 2nd one to see if that kicks first one thru! if it is not here this time, just email me for copy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stepsel.pdf   MOTOR+GRAPH.jpg (320×198) - Google Chrome.jpg