584,866 active members*
4,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > help finding milling machine

help finding milling machine

1st. i hope im in the right spot.

2nd. i am looking for a cheap desktop milling machine for aluminum that can make detailed small parts. like a ar15 lower reciever. rifle bolt. sights and other parts.bassicaly anything up to say...6inch thick by 12-18inches square. and the cheaper the better. i am looking for a maching i can hook to a computer. load a file and walk away. then when i come back its done....not that ill walk away but you get the idea. i am looking at around 500? any help is great ty.

Re: help finding milling machine

Youre going to needs something a lot more robust to cut something of that material size with precision. Try looking at Haas, Haas Automation mini mill, tool room mill or small VF series, lots of used stock out there for sale as well.

Quote Originally Posted by djr76 View Post
    Youre going to needs something a lot more robust to cut something of that material size with precision. Try looking at Haas, Haas Automation mini mill, tool room mill or small VF series, lots of used stock out there for sale as well.
    anything youd recommend specifically?

We can suggest but will need to know your budget range...

well i was hoping around 500-1k. but after looking. i think thats a dream. but i dont care about speed

You might be able to find a used manual knee mill, but expect lots of backlash.

There's no desktop mill that can deal with pieces of material anywhere near that large. From what you're telling us, you're looking for a full-sized CNC knee mill, and if it really has to have a 18" travel in Y, a rather large one at that. New, these go for about $20k and up (way up). If you can pick one up for its value as scrap metal, you'll pay about the price you're talking about. Transporting it to your location will cost that much again, or more. A decent vise for it will cost upwards of $500, not to mention the rest of the tooling, measuring equipment and software you'll need. So you either need to scale down your expectations, or scale up your budget considerably...
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I think the price you are thinking of will Not Even Cover the cam costs of you Desire. (Wald away and such ) this will also require toolchanger so (if you Are from US ) Look for the tormach to get a Feeling for the price range then Look at used machines but probably there is a Shop bear you location they are doing it for you or some maker shed ..