584,862 active members*
5,349 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Have parts, need to wire, what gauges to use?

Red face Have parts, need to wire, what gauges to use?

I have my cnc built, have electronics in, but have had problem finding good information on what gauge wiring to use to
    wire my steppers to controllers, controllers to breakout board, all to power unit.
    Lady needs help!

Re: Have parts, need to wire, what gauges to use?

Medina, I am going through the exact same process and have been researching also. I am going with 18 AWG stranded 4 conductor (4 wires in one cable run) shielded wire for my motors. Make sure you get stranded and not solid, since solid will start breaking down with the movement of the wire over time as your table is moving. Stranded is much more flexible. You can use the same gauge wire inside of your controller box for your remaining connectors, but I have chosen to go with solid wire since it will not need to be flexible in the controller box. Hope this helped. Stacey

Re: Have parts, need to wire, what gauges to use?

Quote Originally Posted by SophieGirl View Post
    Medina, I am going through the exact same process and have been researching also. I am going with 18 AWG stranded 4 conductor (4 wires in one cable run) shielded wire for my motors. Make sure you get stranded and not solid, since solid will start breaking down with the movement of the wire over time as your table is moving. Stranded is much more flexible. You can use the same gauge wire inside of your controller box for your remaining connectors, but I have chosen to go with solid wire since it will not need to be flexible in the controller box. Hope this helped. Stacey
    Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate your input.