584,841 active members*
4,632 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > Hardinge CHNC 1 Power up machine home!
Page 1 of 2 12

Hardinge CHNC 1 Power up machine home!

Hi All,

Just got my new (old) CHNC 1 into the shop Tuesday night. Got it hooked up and trying to get everything working now. It is starting to come back to life, slowly.

I got no manuals what so ever with it, but I have found most of the manuals for the control (Siemens 810T) on line and with help from people like Slant62 on this forum. I found a parts manual and it arrived today.

Problem is that I can't find a manual from Hardinge with basic operation stuff. Right now I can't even figure out how to do a Machine Home. If some one could advise me on how to do a "machine home" I would appreciate it very much.

Also, it was supposed to have RS 232 communications, but I can't find anywhere to hook it up. Anyone know where that may be, or how it is wired in?

Thanks in advance----Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Upload a picture of the control panel to refresh the memory.

Some a little blurry, but let me know if good enough. And, disregard the search for the RS232 port, I found it. The cover was stuck and even broke when it finally opened.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

5.jpg  
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Photo 3 shows a mode select button. I would think it will show mode on screen? Once on zero return or home mode, hold the + feed buttons for each axis until to stops on home? Fanucs usually have a mode select rotary switch. It has been over 14 years since I touched a Hardinge with the Seimens control. Highly recommend you contact Hardinge. They have always helped me in the past, even on older machines.

Thanks for the assistance.

I ordered some seals from a Hardinge distributor and some how they messed up the order. Had them over-nighted to arrive on Saturday and one seal was missing. Lost a weekend of work on it time, but talked them into going to the Hardinge site and down loading a manual for me, they have access. Just got back from Staples and having it printed out.

So, if anyone else needs one I have it now.

Thanks---Mike

Did you have them save it as a PDF file?

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    Did you have them save it as a PDF file?
    Yup, here it is if anyone needs it. Well, here it is NOT! Zipped it up and tried to attach it several times, but got the "Security Token Missing error!" Tried it unzipped and no go either.

I guess you will have to email me for it.

Mike

CHNC I Commissioning Data

Mike

I have the same machine as you and have lost all the commissioning data due to a board shorting out.

Could I trouble you to download A copy of yours and e-mail to me ?

[email protected]

Thanks
    Mark

If I can figure out how to do it I would be glad to help you out.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mark562 View Post
    Mike

I have the same machine as you and have lost all the commissioning data due to a board shorting out.

Could I trouble you to download A copy of yours and e-mail to me ?

[email protected]

Thanks
    Mark
    Well, I just pulled the dumb azz move of the year.

I am having control issues so I was pulling all of the boards out and cleaning them. I got all done and looked up and said what is this? Before my brain could kick in I had pulled the battery out. So now I have lost the commissioning data. The screen came right up asking for it. Then it went off and now I have nothing.

That is the issue I was having, sometime the control came on and sometimes not. Sometimes it would come on the engage the drives and maybe shut off in a little while.

Now I am really frustrated.

Time to make a call.

Mike

I bought a used input unit, control panel, off of eBay to see if I can get mine up and running. It has all of the boards and "The Battery" is still intact. I'll hook the whole thing up and see what happens.

But, Hardinge came through fast for me and attached is the commissioning Data they sent me. Has instructions and all.

Thank you Hardinge!!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hardinge was always very helpful to me. Glad they are working for you also.

The file you have is for a CHNC2/FANUC 10.

Here is the commisoning data for CHNC1/SIEMENS 810T
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Mark! Hadn't gotten into the other one yet, but now that I've checked you are correct as far as I can see.

Email sent to Hardinge.

Just heard back from Hardinge and the files from Mark562 are the correct ones. The gentleman from Hardinge was Mark also, so maybe the same person?!?!?! No, different.

Had an issue with the collet closer and an air leak, so I'm working on that until parts arrive Monday. Had a small blown seal on a brass puck that had been damaged. Making a new one out of 303 stainless right now. Seals will be in Monday too.

I love bringing an old machine back to life!

Thanks again Mark.

Mike

You are talking to 2 different Mark's, I found these files on another forum and posted here. I am still trying to get my machine running.

After replacing the burnt board and installing the commissioning data I still can not get the entire 24v system to work.

Guess it's time to call a tech.

more later Mark

I have an additional issue that I need help with.

In trying to upload the commissioning data, each time I hit the "DATA IN" button as in step 13 of the instructions, the control locks up. No buttons work after that. Only thing that can be done is turn the control off and restart.

I also found that if I go straight to "DATA IN/OUT" when I first turn it on it will lock up right there too. Data in or data out buttons both lock it up any time they are pushed.

Anyone have any idea what this can be? What board could be the issue?

Mike

hardinge chuck

Hi everyone, I just bought a hardinge CHNC4, it came with two 6" 3 jaw Nortfield air chucks, no air tube, I have no need for two, so I would like to sell one. If anyone is looking for one please email me [email protected].

Hi All,

I thought that I would let everyone know that my lathe is back in operation. The software was just corrupt to begin with and reloading it all got the job done.

The issue was probably caused by a bad switch though. It seems that the secondary E-Stop switch was bad and much of the time not making contact. So you could never clear alarms. So they started playing with the control and such and messed up the software.

I have ordered that switch and a couple of others that look not so good, but in the meantime I disassembled the E-Stop switch and cleaned and reinstalled it.

The lathe itself is absolutely sweet. Spindle is totally quiet and both axis' are tight and quiet. Also found out that the drives were replace with A/C drives, a $10,000 upgrade!

I replaced the seals in the turret and in the collet changer while waiting and they are perfect. It did have a bad valve/seal holder in the collet closer and I made a new one for it. Now perfect!

Thanks for all of the assistance from the forum. I now have spare boards if anyone needs to trouble shoot parts.

Good luck to all.

Mike

Hey, I just made a dumbass move of my own, though I'm not sure it's related; I was setting up tool offsets for the very first time owning this lathe (CHCN-1 w/ Siemens 810T) and decided I didn't want any of the previous owner's % programs in memory, so I did a RANGE DELETE between %100 = %1300, and suddenly the work light went out, and the screen became unresponsive. My only recourse was to restart the control, but it wouldn't turn back on.

Does this sound like anything you've encountered before in relation to having wiped out your commissioning data?

When I turn the control on, the four LEDs light up for only three seconds, then nothing. Usually I hear a bunch of relays clicking, and the beep when it activates, but this time, it's quiet - only the fans turn on. No control display, no characteristic high-pitched whines... just silence.

I also don't see any obvious fault LEDs lit on any of the control boards in the back, but then I haven't actually begun a formal investigation yet.

Torin...

Page 1 of 2 12