585,969 active members*
4,698 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haimer 3D measure

No instructions came with this unit which was surprising but what I've read indicates the length needs to be measured prior to using and entered into the Haas TM-1.
    I don't have a tool length gauge, that said seems using the the Haas itself ought to be a solution to measure it installed.

Any reason this is not doable and if it is, suggestions to accomplish it?

Where do I input this measurement?

Thanks
    Ken

Re: Haimer 3D measure

Are you speaking of qualified tooling and using the Taster to find the work?

Finding the work offsets is pretty straight forward Lee, it's the 3D Sensor initial length that needs found first, I presume for a reference to the other offsets.
    Don't really follow you on the "qualified tooling" statement.

I use one on a Fanuc control

NOTE.....ball has to clocked true with an indicator before use

- I set it up in a collet chuck ( when dial reads zero) so that it is a whole number( ie 175mm ,,,,you might select 7.000" for your setting ). This is an accurate setting from the gauge line on the taper to top of the ball using a height gauge
    I re-read this statement, I think need to expand on it a bit more.
    The value you need to put into the Work Shift Z(value) is the overall distance from the taper gauge line to the ball tip ( when both the arrows point to zero ( ball is depressed ))
    - aiming for an easy number for the tool assembly length to have to input is just that... Z-7. is better to input than Z-7.0396

- this length is set in the Work Shift Z area ( say Z-7.000 ) which is applied (added) to ALL of the G54-59 work offsets
    when you use it to set the part origin, bring the ball onto the material so that BOTH arrows are on zero. then read the Machine Position Z.....this is the value to be placed into the co-ordinate system you have used within the program ie G54

tool lengths are from the taper gauge line to the tool tip.....a negative number, easily checked with a steel rule.

Benefits
    - if work shift set to zero, then part origin is well above the material
    - no maths, no calculation errors, Only error would be a miss-read by operator
    - wrong sign, machine would over travel in Z+ direction
    Cons
    - need to ensure the probe is maintained to correct length, and correct value in Work Shift
    ------suggest you plan for a couple of spare probes to keep on hand. They are very fragile in the ceramic stem.

OK,
    Pretty much understood (I think) and a good start for tomorrow to see how it goes.

Thanks

I've read the instructions at least thirty times thinking through what was said, then tried to apply what I think you are saying numerous times at the control and just making no headway.

I don't have a height gauge hence my OP asking if the Haas could be used in someway to measure this tester height.

I am a master at over complicating things like this, it can't be that difficult.

Ken

OK.. let's try another method

gauge blocks....
    - make up a 7" block measurement, or something made to that size accurately ( keep it handy as a "Master setting bar" for resetting the Haimer assy) (the size 7" is guessed, it should be larger than the Haimer tool assy, so that it can be adjusted outwards)
    - bring the spindle down so the gap between spindle face and table is 7"....record the machine Z value
    - put "Haimer" tool assy into spindle, and bring head back down to that recorded machine value
    - adjust the tool assembly so that both arrows point to ZERO.....you have just set the assy to 7" long.....this length is placed into the "Work Shift" Z area ( -ive number)
    - the actual machine position that you have recorded is placed in the G54 Z area (-ive number)

absolute position should show you at 7.0000" above the Z-origin

-tool lengths are the distance from spindle face to tool tip....(-ive numbers)

As a matter of interest, the distance from your recorded machine position + the Haimer length is equal to the distance from spindle face ( at Z home) and the table

Whenever you use the Haimer tool, to set a part Z, bring both arrows to ZERO, and record the machine position, that value is placed into the co-ordinate system you have in the program (G54-G59)

OK, more to think on,
    It is a bit clearer now but still haven't digested how the process works in my head.
    I'll have at it again as time permits today, no success this time and the Hamier will be used only for setting X,Y and I'll go back to my old tried and true method to set up the top of part Z.

Appreciate your time in helping.

Ken

OK, got it and think I almost understand now

The 3D sensor is 6.250 in length............ close enough
    It did error out with a z over travel, had to enter a positive value in the Work Shift Z with the table top and material top difference.

Ran the part no problem.

Again, thanks much for your help, made the difference.

Ken