585,775 active members*
3,829 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas VF2 with 185 a cable fault

Haas VF2 with 185 a cable fault

I am getting an occasional 185 a cable fault alarm. Typically we can hit reset and clear the alarm and are able to run again. Sometimes it runs for hours without this alarm, sometimes it happens a couple of times per part.

I have replaced the cable and still have the same problem. I am hoping that someone has some things to check so I don't just throw parts at this.

Thanks

Mark

Re: Haas VF2 with 185 a cable fault

Assume we have no idea what year machine you have, when the alarm comes on, what that alarm means. Oh, we don't. More details would sure help out in diagnosing the problem.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Re: Haas VF2 with 185 a cable fault

185 is A axis cable fault. On a rotary the cable is subjected to a pretty harsh environment so a visual inspection must be done there first. The 185 alarm stems form a total loss of the encoder signal. The number one cause of this alarm is incorrect setting 30 or incorrect parameters. These will need to be checked first.
    If parameters are good and you have a brush motor there are two connections for the encoder. One at the encoder and a second at the cable junction. If your unit is brush, there is one at the motor or one at the cable junction. With the unit unplugged remove the cable from the indexer and check the connections. If the cable and connections look OK you will need to go deeper.
    In both cases the encoders operate from 5vdc. In most cases it is a loss of this voltage that causes this alarm. The small red wire going to the encoder supply's the 5vdc.

Good Luck
    Slammer