Hello, I've been working with the VF-4 in my shop for about two years now, and while I was drilling and tapping a Jig plate the machine began to throw the 123 Alarm: Spindle Drive Fault during the tapping cycle, at first it happened once in a row of tapping cycles, but then it happend a few times in one row.

Since then trying to orient the spindle, or turn the spindle in any way using its motor throws the 123 alarm. It has had problems in the past orienting the spindle before and sounded much like a post in this thread:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas_m...3_spindle.html

To qote Haas__Man "Sorry dafowfidy,
I think i have misread your original post. Could you confirm to me that your machine is a 1992 model VF2?
If it is then you do not have a vector drive. In its place then you probably have a Mitsubishi spindle drive or a yaskawa drive. When the fault happens look at the spindle drive unit, there should be a small lcd display, does it have anything on the display?
Also when you orientate the spindle does the spindle rotation look smooth? or is it jerky?
If it is smooth, but too fast for the locking maechanism to lock the spindle, then it is possible to slow this down with parameters. Parameters 72 and 73 are the speed of rotation of the spindle when orientating. One is for high gear. the other for low gear. if you lower the value, then you lower the speed of rotation and give the spindle lock mechanism a chance.
Hope this helps.
"

The spindle on my machine appeared jerky and somewhat slow when orienting, on the mitsubishi Freqrol-a200e-ul unit I am reading one of two codes when this happens, OC2 or OC3. Resetting the Haas, resets it so there is no error, but trying to turn the spindle only throws the error again.