584,871 active members*
5,427 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > H-Square Engraver control box

H-Square Engraver control box

My boss gave me a H-Square Engraver he no longer used. He said it worked when he put it in the basement. It appear to be in good condition and the spindle motor powers up. Here's the problem, the control box was separated and has gone missing. Cords too.
    Here is what it is. I would like to create a control box to run this machine for my in garage use. It is the usual bench top configuration, 3 Axis 12x19 table. Unipolar steppers, 2 NEMA 23 2 phase motors and 1 NEMA 34 2 phase motors and an induction spindle motor. There are limit switches on X and Y. I have read a lot about motor drives on this site and I don't think there is a problem doing what I want. My problem is I don't have much electronic background and don't really know where to start. It looks like there are different types of drivers. I have concluded I need a micro step version of driver card. I need a power supply to support 12v and each 23 motor is rated 1.25A and the 34 is 1.5A. I conclude a 36V to 48V power with 5-10Amps will work. Do I need a separate control card? Should I use separate cards for each motor or a 3 in 1?

Can some one provide a schematic of where I can start so I don't have to read every item to figure out what I don't want?
    Thanks for any and all help in advance!

Gary

Re: H-Square Engraver control box

You can make it work, I am sure of it. Start thinking in terms of a functional block diagram before getting too deep into too many specifics. Understanding at a general level first, then more detail as you go along.

Over the past few years I've converted an old 3-axis knee mill with the help of many on this board.

This sketch shows a very, very basic concept of operation of a home type Cnc setup; if it's so basic as to be offensive I apologize, but .....
    The control would be a computer with Mach3 installed (or equivalent)
    The Break Out Board can come from a lot places, mine is from The maker of Viper servo drives.
    Each axis consists of a motor and a driver for that motor. To my knowledge each motor requires it's own driver; at least if you want all 3 axes to move simultaneously. Since you already have the motors, selecting the appropriate drive may be a little involved but very do-able.
    The control tells the machine where to go, and the BOB routs the appropriate info to the appropriate axis.
    Each axis moves as directed with the result being movement along virtually any path (lines, arcs, curves etc in 3D).
    Attachment 258020

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk