584,874 active members*
5,244 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gamepad and other questions

Greetings.
    I was wondering if anyone knows how to configure a gamepad control to Kmotion? I would like to customize what button does what. I looked in the documentation but didn't see anything.

Also, I was wondering if you could help me on my math for a linear encoder.
    I would like to run 300 ipm
    Encoder resolution = .000020

By my math, 300 ipm * 50,000 counts/in * 1min/60sec = 250000 cycles/sec
    This gives you 250Mhz
    1/250000 = .000004
    So this is many times smaller than the 90 uS that the Kflop cycles at. Is this correct? So this would not be a feasible solution correct, since the encoder feedback is actually faster than the Kflop. Did I do the math wrong?
    Thank you for your assistance.

Hi speedydumpster,

The GamePad functionality in KMotionCNC is fixed. To change it you would need to change the Source Code and re-compile.

Regarding your encoder: 250000 cycles/sec is 250KHz (not MHz).

A confusing thing with encoders is that it often isn't clear whether the resolution is per cycle or per count. 1 quadrature cycle = 4 quadrature counts.

In your case if one encoder cycle is 20ui then the resolution of 1 quadrature count would be 5ui.

Or maybe you are referring to encoders with sinusoidal analog outputs?

KFLOP's digital encoder inputs are rated at 1MHz (quadrature counts per second). Even though KFLOP's Servo Update Rate is much slower (90us) it will still work ok as this is much faster than most motors can respond. The hardware will keep accurate count and KFLOP will read the position every 90us.

HTH
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Tom,
    Thanks for always supporting your product. I've been very pleased with the results. Just as an enhancement request for future development down the line, it might be nice to be able to configure the gamepad controller. I'm not all that great with the joysticks, so I can't get it to go just in the +x or +y directions. I wanted to be able to use the arrow keys to do the stepping, using it to set the tool height offsets, things like that.
    I got a wireless gamepad, and it is really nice to have a wireless pendant.
    Also, tks for the input on my brain fart on encoder calculations.
    As always, thank you Tom.
    Have a good one,
    Dave

Re: Gamepad and other questions

Just to second the above request-- I'd love to be able to precisely control jogging with a gamepad. This would involve being able to set the jog increment on the gamepad (or numerical keypad, or some other small input device). I zero my z-axis manually, and it's a bit of a hassle to have to do this with the mouse and monitor. Thanks Tom!

Hi amowry,

Could you be more specific what you would like to see?

Did you realize there was a slow Jog?

Did you realize CTRL-PgUp/PgDn will step the axis?

Regards
    TK
    http://dynomotion.com

Hi Tom,

Maybe it's changed since last time I looked at it, but I'd like to be able to change the step size (i.e. 0.01", 0.001") and move the axes (particularly the Z) all without having to use the mouse. Last I checked I couldn't figure out a way to change the step size using keystrokes or the gamepad, only the mouse. I set my z-axis manually, and it's sometimes a bit of a reach doing it with the mouse and watching the monitor to see that I'm clicking the right buttons.

I ran into the same issues with gamepad functionality vs mouse and monitor. I eventually just hung a second monitor by the machine that is visible from any place l will be while setting things up. It allows me to walk around the machine with a wireless mouse while monitoring the axis position and changing step sizes as needed. At first it was just desperation but now I quite prefer this setup. A monitor 2nd hand is cheap. I got mine at goodwill for $20.00.

Ben

Yes, that's definitely an option, it just seems like enabling a keystroke to toggle though the step sizes shouldn't be too big a deal (not that I have any clue how to go about it

Tom, just to recap and make sure I fully understand, is it true that there's not currently a way to set the step size with keystrokes alone? If not and it's not too much trouble to add that feature in a later update, I'd really appreciate it. For example, one key could toggle through whatever step sizes you have visible in the GUI, or maybe separate keystrokes for each step size. Either way I could then make a custom USB pendant that would give me full control over zeroing the z-axis. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have Chinese gamepad and binding buttons on it are not the same as described in the documentation. So I'd like to have buttons for step movement and changing the step size on the gamepad for zero setting. So I would very much like to be able to change the binding gamepad buttons, without this it is almost useless. Setting the zero position by the monitor and the keyboard is not very convenient.