585,668 active members*
4,551 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > For WaterJet owners: would you buy again a waterJet

Question For WaterJet owners: would you buy again a waterJet

Hello.

I have a fair workshop, with CNC lathes, machine centers and CNC plasma. I want to go further into what the plasma cannot make: clean cuts with no secondary operations. I normally cut stainless and mid steel.
    My main work is on thin plates (I know that laser is better, faster), but since there is no other waterjet around and there are lasers, the waterjet can help me in making the difference. I often do not have rush in making parts. Having the machine running without the need to be next to it and if the parts do not need secondary operations that is enough for me.
    However I am concerned about the running costs of a waterjet AND the needed maintenance of the machine. Having a technician come here overseas will probably take out my profit of one year running the machine.

So, basically I would like to ask for someone that was in the same position than myself that bough a waterjet.
    Would you buy again a waterjet or another machine?

Thanks

Re: For WaterJet owners: would you buy again a waterJet

Waterjets can be amazing machines, especially if you get into the machines that use 5-axis heads and 4th axis rotary tables. They can cut almost any material you can imagine, which makes them incredibly versatile. That versatility comes at the cost of NOT being the best machine for any particular material. Lasers are faster on thin metals, saws are faster on stone and granite, plasma's are faster on heavy plate though typically with lower quality. If you have a number of materials that you want to be able to cut then waterjets are the way to go. If you don't plan on expanding into other markets and are focused on thin metals, go with a laser.

The other HUGE factor to consider is the cost of upkeep on a waterjet vs a laser, etc. By its very nature (60,000+ psi), the waterjet naturally requires a lot of maintenance. All of the high pressure components need to be changed on a regular basis, typically a few times a year. They are not mass produced like car parts so they are not cheap. Waterjets are very expensive to run compared to other, more specialized, technologies such as lasers.

Hope that helps!

Re: For WaterJet owners: would you buy again a waterJet

you re right but waterjet on stone can cut shapes that other machine cant cut