585,997 active members*
4,844 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Fell out of a Tree, into a PCNC1100

Fell out of a Tree, into a PCNC1100

I've been around on the zone for several years. Don't have the time to post very often. Call this a simple introduction.

Started with a converted x2 some years back. Learned the ins and outs of cheap drivers, why the G540 is a value, etc. Jumped from there into a Tree VMC1060 after a year plus. The Tree has been a great tool for the maybe 2 days a month I've had time to run it over the past few years. Life changes required me to move from my space of 25 years into something much, much smaller. So the Tree had to go. So did the Takisawa/Webb lathe - miss that so much. G0752 inbound as replacement (no current plans to convert the lathe).

I have often researched and considered a Tormach or Novakon personal mill. I realize in many ways these are a step back from something like the Tree (had it working brilliantly via CamBam and CodeShark). However, the truth is I generally machine aluminum and don't need the massive travels, rapids or spindle HP of that beefy VMC. I've been watching for a good deal on a used PCNC for some time - one finally popped up a couple months ago. Series III with ATC, PDB, 4th axis and more tool holders than I need for the moment. Original owner took quite good care of the machine, built a 3/4 enclosure for it, and sold it for what I believe is a solid and fair deal.

I retrieved it a few weeks back. She's wired and running now. Had to buck up the 208 at the new place and ran a dedicated circuit for the mill, another for the compressor, and a third for the computer since I was at it anyway. Shop isn't quite setup yet and won't be for several more weeks. Stuffing 7,000+ sq ft of stuff into 1,500 is difficult at best. Photo attached is the *machine shop corner* and has a lot to be done still. Lighting, organization, finish out a full enclosure on the mill, etc. Small space = higher level of OCD necessary.

So - I'm here - will try to post useful information as I discover it. Initial cuts and tests/tramming/leveling are promising. Very capable machine from what I can see thus far.

Thanks to all that contribute to this forum and in general on the web. Makes this machining *hobby* that much more enjoyable.

WW

(Goofy tunable chamber muffler concept I knocked out one day on the Tree - still a work in progress - also pictured below)
    Manufacturing & Development
    ThermaeCooling.com

Re: Fell out of a Tree, into a PCNC1100

welcome.
    Nice looking setup!

Having a 7000 sf shop is huge even 1500 sf is big.
    To heat, cool and light such work areas can get expensive around here.
    Anyway, I dig the ceiling height!! Makes my shop look like a cave.
    Always enjoy seeing what others are up to!
    md

I went from 110sf to 625sf, and have enough room to go up to 1000sf if I need to.

I can't imagine going down to 1500sf from 7000sf, but I have a wood shop and metal shop in that 625sf currently, and it all fits with plenty of room to play.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post
    Photo attached is the *machine shop corner* and has a lot to be done still. Lighting, organization, finish out a full enclosure on the mill, etc....
    Is it just me, or are the pics not showing up?

Congrats on the mill, best mill in it's class and the best customer service bar none. That's why I bought the second one. First one has been building parts since 2008 and has kept my business thriving.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Very nice! I went about the same route. Converted an X3 which paid for my Tormach which led to enough money and work to move out of my 130sq/ft garage to a 2000 sq/ft shop 4 months ago... And the Tormach paid for its new neighborAttachment 250074Attachment 250076

Still haven't finished unpacking much less organizing but I do have a Big Ass Fan Haiku 84 on the way =D

Pretty sure you'll enjoy your Tormach. I use mine daily even when the Haas is free for "manual" the milling. Sadly the jog wheel is much easier to use than the Haas even with the $1200 jog dial

Attachment 250078

Ha... Had to take that since I just happen to have the two Tormach vises on he table at he moment since the next op uses jaws I made for them a year ago and haven't remade for the Glacerns

Brian
    WOT Designs

Rethought the shop layout and reorganized/unpacked more yesterday. Decided to hold onto the 24x36 surface plate - just need to get that moved over here. Another week or two and everything will be in its place, except for the chips - they will be flying

WW
    ThermaeCooling.com

Minor update. Have loaded tool tables, have my front end all setup, mill is trammed and first couple of test projects run. I have some tweaks I need to make to speeds/feeds or course, and will rework coolant flow and the partial enclosure - but I must say I'm happy thus far with the Tormach. Not as *fast* as the Tree was - but it doesn't matter. It suits me better, works very well, ATC is a kick and I'm satisfied. With any luck pictures of first real parts later this week.

This hasn't been without the help of a few here on this forum (and elsewhere) - thank you to those that know who you are

WW
    ThermaeCooling.com

First couple of parts off. Cutting files that were built for the Tree - reworked the master styles in CamBam. The Tormach ATC works like a charm. In fact, the whole machine is darn nice IMHO. I intend to write a full review of the machine in another 45-60 days of use. I'm completely satisfied (thrilled) at this point, for the record.

Don't judge too closely on these bits - goal was to work through known files and *adjust* as needed for the Tormach. Have most of it sorted in the CAM now - time to start actually making some bits.

WW

ThermaeCooling.com

Parts look great! Bead blast on the second 1?
    A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Parts look great! Bead blast on the second 1?
    Just a quick shot with glass bead. Have a long test of the Tormach planned for Friday or Monday - revising a quite difficult (for me at least) one of item made for a client's motorcycle. If it goes well, I'll post pics
    ThermaeCooling.com

Update -

I'm about a month in. Use the mill 2-4 hours a day, 3-4 days a week at this point. Have a lot of other things going on but it has been quite reliable and repeatable (good and bad) for me.

Q: How long did it take for you to crash the tool changer and break a nylon bolt or two?
    A: First day - easy fix, and crashed it once more since (see - there's an example of repeatable=bad). Have to think or at least have coffee first!

Q: Which endmills are you liking the most so far?
    A: These - SUPER HSS, STD LENGTH. Using a 1/2" 2 flute yesterday and I was simply blown away by the removal rate, surface finish, and lack of *noise*. Very thankful to jid2 for sharing the link in another thread.

Q: Is the ATC worth it?
    A: Well, for what I paid, it sure is. I think it is a sweet ATC that is quick enough for my needs. Setup is a breeze. I've manually input tool lengths up to this point, frequently have a manual tool change or two within a program run, and love the way it all works. Haven't built a second *table* of tools yet but will. Have about 25 tool holders that came with the machine. Found a couple to be not great quality (TIR) wise but overall quite good.

Q: Any problems with the machine so far?
    A: Remember, this is a used machine with ~500 hrs on it (a guess, quite frankly). No problems, per se, but some concerns.
    A1: I have occasional issues with chatter during Y moves only. I suspect the ballscrew or gibs need adjustment and haven't made time to correct.
    A2: I've also had one of my 1/2" high helix 3 flute endmills pull out from the TTS once. Deep profiling cut. I believe the preload on the washers is correct. Only happened once. I've kept an eye on it since, and realized that the tool change height for Z was slightly off - thereby not completely pulling the TTS up into the collet/spindle nose properly. Since correcting I've had zero issues. This would also explain the couple of times I thought I lost steps in Z (I didn't).
    A3: The coolant system is lacking. I'll have to do something about it for chip removal ultimately. I won't go nuts - probably something simple. It works fine for the most part but when hogging a lot of aluminum I need to standby and remove chips manually at times.
    A4: The bellow way covers - will update or cover up with neoprene in the near future. Chips take their toll on these, as you're all well aware.

Q: How is it better than the large VMC you used to own?
    A: It has a small footprint. Draws very little power. Much more manageable and easier to understand (last machine was a VMC1060 early 90's era).

Q: How is it worse than the large VMC you used to own?
    A: Horsepower. I have to adjust my removal rates - but quite honestly it can still sling chips all the way across the shop and get the job done brilliantly.

Q: If you could change anything about your purchase history of cnc mills, what would it be?
    A: I would have bought this machine 3+ years ago - plain and simple. Of course, it is a series 3 so that wouldn't have technically been possible.

Q: (Feel free to ask me, I'll answer honestly, have no affiliation with Tormach or anyone else, just a pretty happy consumer at this point)
    A:

WW

(.500" endmill as linked above, .200" DOC, .65 stepover, 3800 rpm, 28 ipm, ramping in - could push it harder I'm sure but everything is pretty happy around there)

ThermaeCooling.com

Upgraded the coolant a bit - not exactly sure how much greater the flow is but for the price I'm happy. Under $100 shipped, and simple to install in stock coolant reservoir with minor alterations to the pump's integral filter screen/base. Took about 20 minutes to sand down the base perimeter a touch and wire/install. I would have like to turn down the base but had difficulty removing it - and the bench sander was right there anyway. Link to where the pump can be found: SP 8180 Filterable Coolant Pump 1 8HP 180mm 1PH 110 220V | eBay

Also mounted a pair of 10W Cree Motorcycle LED's (the spindle mounted ring LED's were alright but died) as well as some 10W 700 Lumen LED worklights Lowes had on closeout. More than enough light now, and simple solution. Next chance I get I'll disassemble the enclosure and tweak/improve a bit (has a few leaks that I'd like to address) as well as clean up some of the wiring and bandaids I've applied for lighting/cooling.

WW
    ThermaeCooling.com