585,560 active members*
3,273 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc DNC Error 008

Sorry to bother you folks - I can usually work these things out but I am stuck now. Would appreciate some help - I am sure someone has seen this problem before.

For the first time I am trying to use DNC with my Fanuc OMD control. As you know there are many variations. My controller does not have the "tape" position you select DNC by setting the mode control to "Auto" and putting the "key switch" vertical. When I do this I can see that the line to register 127.5 in the ladder diagram display changes to bright so I believe my DNC operation is active.

According to the book my next action should be to get the selected program ready to DNC, set the OMD to SBK for safety purposes, then press the green start button. The DNC process should then start. What actually happens is that immediately I press the start button an "Error 008" occurs before I even start the program feed.

The program looks OK, M30 is the last line of the program. I am using cable settings that work for normal file transfer to memory.

I am sure to be doing something dumb. Hopefully just a parameter change that I have not found yet. I tried adjusting parameter 038 but that came up with a restart error, error 000.

Additional info.
    Diagnostic 127 indicates correctly when DNC is selected.
    A shortened version of the large program we want to run works fine from memory.

Help very much appreciated.
    Brian

Re: Fanuc DNC Error 008

Thanks to anyone who considered my problem! Playing provided the answer but I will explain in case my solution helps any body else.

I got my machine used and the basic download from PC to memory worked fine as it was so I made the assumption that I did not need to adjust parameter 38 ( Hey, I am still very much learning).
    Now, I was lucky to get a very complete set of manuals with the machine including a complete ladder diagram and parameter list from the manufacturer.
    Eventually I found out that a 1 in 38.6 selected floppy data input and a 1 in 38.7 selected RS232 input. The manuf. value for P38 is 10000100, mine was set to 01000100 by the last owner. Changing back to the factory setting solved my problem. The mistake I made was to assume that if the control unit worked PC to memory it would also work by DNC PC to control unit with no changes.

If it helps to clarify the DNC function on various O series controllers my program number (which appears on control panel at turn-on) is 473-01. The DNC is functional by simply turning the mode switch to "AUTO" and setting the key switch vertically. Push start, set your PC to download the program and you are in business. It is a good idea to select SBK for starting to prevent the machine from doing anything wild before you are at the control panel. You can see 127.5 functionality both on the ladder diagram and on diagnostic 127.5. The original mill owner MAY have changed some parameters so you may need other steps but it does not look as though he used DNC.

The DNC works great. Smooth as silk at 4800 baud.

Brian

Is "RMT" displayed on the next to last line on the CRT?

My 0MD manual doesn't list "Error 008". It shows alarm PS008:

Illegal use of program end: An attempt was made to execute EOR (%) because there was not M02,
    M30, or M99 at the end of the program. Correct the program.

Sorry Dcouper, my bad, I should have said "Alarm 008". Thanks for the correction.

In retrospect the program was fine, it was the Parameter38 setting that was wrong. I can only think that since I was using the wrong comm. method the controller was getting a false "Alarm 008" type return when I pressed the start button. The problem could not be with the program since I had not even started to download it before the alarm occurred.

I do not get an "RMT" message. When everything is connected correctly and I press the start button I do get a flashing "LSK" indication. I think this goes away when transfer starts - I'll check.

Thanks for explaining the actual 008 alarm. All knowledge is good.

I should cross fingers before I say this but the system is working beautifully. I spent a couple of hours in the evening playing with the trial version of HSMWorks (I normallu have been using HSMXpress) and transferring a 3D program by dripfeed is a breeze and the mill runs very well, none of the expected jerky sectors.

BrianSP. Sorry I don't have an answer. I have not been able to run large files on our KOMO Innova Mach 1. A 1998 Model. We bought a PC and software upgrade from KOMO who assured us that large files/DNC would be no longer a problem. Not true. Six months later they have yet to offer any solution for our machine to run large files. Tension is growing after spending 85K on repairs and upgrades with KOMO. We do not have a Fanuc control panel, we are PC based. Cheers.

you mean that your machine is not on spindle servo drive it is on electric contractors for CW and CCW.?

Hi,
    I am using Leadwell Machine with Fanuc Oi-MD control. When i turn the selector switch to DNC then select desired file number from card this say wrong mode. When i do the same procedure while staying in MDI mode the file get selected for DNC operation but when i hit cycle start button after turning selector switch back to DNC it runs the program from machine memory instead from card.

Note: When i turn the selector switch to DNC "RMT" does not appear on screen but "MEM" any help?

Hello, i'm getting th same error, did you find out how to fix it ?