585,717 active members*
4,206 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angry Fanuc 10T with FAPT

Hi all, been a toolmaker (plastic Injection) for 22yrs and i am just starting out on learning cnc on an old Fanuc 10T with FAPT programing, i am 2wks in on an "on the job" training and i am doing ok but there is one thing i just cannot understand or get my head round and my "teacher" does not know how to explain in a way to make it understandable for me, so i hope you can help.

My Q. is this.

Can anyone explain when you are drawing the shape in FAPT you have to tell the nc which paths to take in "Dividing Direction" by using direction arrows on the keypad which represent X+ X- Y+ Y- only it to me does not represent anything whatsoever, i think its asking me what i dont want to machine, which is easy but telling the m/c is a different story as every time i select what i think is correct its wrong.

What does Dividing Direction mean and what is it asking me to do??

Do you have the manual? I do. I never and will never use FAPT on my 10TF. I can write programs quicker manually, and besides, I use Mastercam.

I am guessing with FAPT but most conversational controls provide some method of allowing you to describe the directions you want to machine a feature. Depending on the tool (right or left hand) and application (what specifically you want to machine), there are times you will want to turn towards the chuck and times you may want to turn away from the chuck. Newer conversational controls actually prompt you for turning or "back turning", facing or "back facing". Not sure if this helped, or if this is what you were asking, let me know

Mark T.

www.cnccustomservices.com

thanks both but no i do not have the manual and as i am being given training of sorts on how to use this system and only this at the moment i dont have the luxury of using another method.

It also has no option to just describe what you want it to do. with fapt you have to allow the m/c to draw the part for you from your coordinates you give it working from your work zero,it then asks you various q's one of them being dividing direction, get this wrong and it draws the shape of part ok but cuts the steel in a totally wrong way. what i dont understand is what the hell dividing direction is supposed to, divide where and what from which direction.......?????? i guess you would have to have knowledge of fapt to be able to answer the q.

FAPT

OK .. I'll take a shot ... I used to teach FAPT when I was young and had hair.

How about this ... as you draw the element, pretend that you are standing at the start point of the element and looking in the direction the element is going ... the dividing direction is asking you, on which side of that element is the material ... right or left.

For example, lets say you are going to create an O.D. contour ... you are going to start with a line going up ( north ) from X0,Z0 ... and this line would represent the face of the part. OK ... now you are standing at X0,Z0 looking in the direction the line is going ( north ) ... on what side is the material ... right or left. In this case, it would be on the left.

Let's take the reverse ... you are going to create an I.D. contour ... you are going to start with a line that starts at X1.00 Z0 ... the line is going west ( <--- ). OK ... now you're standing at X1.00 Z0 and looking in the direction the line is going, west ... on what side is the material. In this case ... it's on the ?????

Right side ... it is an I.D. contour and this line is part of the bore.

Confused? I think I got myself confused. It's harder to do in writing than in person with a chalkboard ... Or maybe it was just easier when I was younger.

Anyway ... I hope this helps somewhat.

Want something easier? ... you might take a look at our KipwareT conversational for the PC ... info and demos at www.KentechInc.com.

Cheers mate you are a star, and yes it helps....a little. The muddy waters are slightly less murky. I find it a little like looking in the mirror trying to write upside down while standing on my head...........:-)

Smile

Hello everyone, FYI maybe this link could be useful http://cncfanuc.blogspot.com

When you mention Element in your reply is the element the work piece or the line you are trying to draw or heve already drawn???
    I am so confused..........

THE DEVIDING DIRECTIONS IN FAPT MEAN IN MACHINING WHERE THE TOOL CAN GET AWAY FROM THE WORKPEACE.
    IN NORMAL TURNING THAT WOULD MEAN RIGHT (IN)AND UP(OUT)
    WHIT GROOVING 2 TIMES UP

GREETINGS BERTUS.NL

Re: Fanuc 10T with FAPT

Hi All, I have a Nakamura System 10TE-F CNC. Can something help me where I can found the manual?
    regards
    Phil