584,879 active members*
5,312 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 10M Rs232 Fried Board Solutions

Post Fanuc 10M Rs232 Fried Board Solutions

I have been trying to setup the RS232 port on a mill. I have confirmed cable connections are correct (I have used the null modem cable without handshake) and I am still getting a SR830 Error. I have come to the conclusion that the RS232 connection on the main board must be fried. It seems like installing an option 1 card would be the cheapest way to fix this problem the cards are only about $350 on ebay. Are there any parameters that must be changed to enable the option 1?

My machine did not have one originally so I am assuming that some parameters will need to be changed, but I have ordered the card and am hoping that I can just plug it in.

If anyone knows anything about installing this card I would appreciate any information.

I am also new to the forum so if I am sorry if I should have posted in another location.

come back here and let us know what happens AFTER you install the card and we can probably help you. until then speculating about the unknown is pointless.

Yeah I was planning on doing that I just posted in case someone has already done this.

On some 10's there is another port on the operator console, if this is what you have, if so the port can be changed over.
    I have the RS232 manual for the 10, if you need it, send an email Add by PM.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

If you have 4 and 5 jumpered and 6,8,20 jumpered, there shouldn't be any alarms. You might check your null modem first or check it on another Fanuc control before declaring the port bad. All 10 mother boards that I've seen have two ports, although ALL of the three possible ports on a 10 are optional, so using the spare port might be a problem. I think most machines came with at least the first two turned on. The third one would be on the external board.
    Warren
    Uptime Electronics, Inc.

Many times the RS232 port IC gets damaged I have found where the PC is fed off of an AC source that is separate or remote to the 120v control voltage on the machine.
    It is best to use a 120v socket off of the control voltage to avoid any difference in ground potential..
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks, I figured that there should be no alarms using the no handshake null modem (4 and 5 jumped and 6,8,20 jumped). That's why I figure my connection on the main board is fried. I have also checked the machine for other ports but did not find any. The maintenance manual shows that there is an option 1 card (A16B-1210-0350) that usually comes with the machine that also has the RS232 connecter. I think this is the board usually connected to the tape reader but my machine did not come with that feature. I just hope installing it won't require too many parameter changes!

The RS232 manual shows the parameters.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks for the parameters Al! I will post again when I get the card installed.

I finally got the card and I am still having trouble getting the rs232 to work. I am getting the SR 807 Parameter error if I set 0021 and 0022 to anything but 2 and a SR830 DR(2) off error when I set it to 2. The SR830 error makes sense for setting 0021 and 0022 to 2 if the RS232 chip on the main board is fried. My machine does not have the CRT connector so it makes sense that setting 0021 and 0022 to 1 would give the the 807 error. But setting 0021 and 0022 to 3 should allow me to use the rs 232 port on the option 1 card. It looks like the machine is not accepting the option 1 card. If anyone knows if there are any parameter changes required to turn on this board it would be greatly appreciated.

PM sent.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Hepha3stus View Post
    I finally got the card and I am still having trouble getting the rs232 to work. I am getting the SR 807 Parameter error if I set 0021 and 0022 to anything but 2 and a SR830 DR(2) off error when I set it to 2. The SR830 error makes sense for setting 0021 and 0022 to 2 if the RS232 chip on the main board is fried. My machine does not have the CRT connector so it makes sense that setting 0021 and 0022 to 1 would give the the 807 error. But setting 0021 and 0022 to 3 should allow me to use the rs 232 port on the option 1 card. It looks like the machine is not accepting the option 1 card. If anyone knows if there are any parameter changes required to turn on this board it would be greatly appreciated.
    you need to change these two:

-75189AN - SN75189AN - TEXAS INSTRUMENTS - IC, LINE RECEIVER, 5.5V | Farnell România

-75188N - SN75188N - TEXAS INSTRUMENTS - LINE DRIVER QUAD RS232, 75188 | Farnell România

more than likely he just needs to turn on the option parameter to enable the new extra RS232 board. But it's forbidden to talk about it here because it's a secret ;-)
    and if you look above Al already sent the secret PM.... so it's probably already solved.....

if that info is for the old board it's impossible to say for sure exactly what is bad without someone knowledgeable testing it. randomly guessing or changing 'possible' chips is just asking for trouble especially if the work is done by someone who has no idea how to remove soldered-in DIP chips from a 4-layer PCB.

Thanks for the information on changing the bad chips on the main board zavateandu. Fordav is right I am hoping to avoid messing with the main board. I still have not nailed down the necessary parameter changes but I have some suggestions to try.

I have finally managed to change parameter xxxx to enable RS232 A,B, and C (thanks to cncdiags comments on this thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/fanuc/...questions.html)

But I still have not been able to get the RS232 port working. Does anyone know what Bit 0 of xxxx does I have a table that says it is external input and output does this need to be 1 as well?

Re: Fanuc 10M Rs232 Fried Board Solutions

I still have not been able to get it going yet although I have been busy with other projects. I am going to try changing some options parameters this week to try to get the options card working but if I can't do that I will have to try fixing the board. I found a thread on replacing the chips here www.cnczone.com | 404 - Page Cannot Be Found but the receiver chips seem to be in a different position on my board. When I did look at the board it looks like one of the resistors may be causing the problem not the chips. Does anyone know how to find out what resistor it is so I can replace it?

Attachment 254320

put a multimeter set to diode test (or continuity) across the resistor. if the resistor is open or shorted its bad.
    switch to resistance and test it. check the colored bands and work out what it should be compared to the actual measurement.
    if it's within 10% it's ok.
    it's pretty common to see brown/mis-colored resistors on circuit boards. personally I doubt that resistor is the problem. there are many other components that are more likely to blow up and any one of them could be bad.
    if you need to get your machine going just get Fanuc to come out and fix it. 8 months to fix it is really money lost when you could have just paid Fanuc to install the card and/or fix it in a few hours back in February and then made hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of components in the meantime.
    if that was my machine I would have lost $2-$4 million in that time. Just get Fanuc to fix it and move on.

I got the machine running today after playing around with the options parameters and correcting a few small mistakes with the cables. The wiring for the CD2 port is a hard to understand in the old manual but it is clear in the newer one. (posted below for those who may have the old manual)

Fortunately the machine was not sitting around it was making money running simple programs hand typed in. I could not justify the cost getting a tech to fix the RS232 but Fordav is right if I had more complex jobs lined up the repair would have been much faster. Although knowing what I now know I the option 1 card is definitely a good option, much better that soldering the main board and it would not have taken very long if I knew what I was doing. Now if the chips fry on the option card I can simply take it out card to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hepha3stus View Post
    I got the machine running today after playing around with the options parameters and correcting a few small mistakes with the cables. The wiring for the CD2 port is a hard to understand in the old manual but it is clear in the newer one. (posted below for those who may have the old manual)

Fortunately the machine was not sitting around it was making money running simple programs hand typed in. I could not justify the cost getting a tech to fix the RS232 but Fordav is right if I had more complex jobs lined up the repair would have been much faster. Although knowing what I now know I the option 1 card is definitely a good option, much better that soldering the main board and it would not have taken very long if I knew what I was doing. Now if the chips fry on the option card I can simply take it out card to replace them.
    Hello Dear..

We have the same problem. I bought an option 1 board, A16B-1210-0350 and put it into it's slot.With the helps of the AL I set the parameters and made the cable connections.Again it gave some parameter errors, I still could not find the problem.May I ask how did you solve your problem? How did you make the cable connections and by using which parameters? Could you please help me with this? Thanks in advance.