585,997 active members*
5,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > DYN3 Digital Inputs (Can I wire them to accept 24V as the signal?)

DYN3 Digital Inputs (Can I wire them to accept 24V as the signal?)

The manual wiring example shows external power wired to EXT+24 terminal, with switched ground to activate inputs.
    I need to supply 24V to activate the input.
    On page 24 of the manual, it shows switched 24v going to the input, but doesn't show pin numbers in the example
    The manual also lists jp4 pin 1 as DIG, Digital input ground, but no example of use.

Would this work: Ground to DIG and switched 24VDC to DI1?

Thanks, I really don't want to fry anything.

Re: DYN3 Digital Inputs (Can I wire them to accept 24V as the signal?)

I haven't heard from DMM yet so I will add some pics, hopefully someone can help. It would be really nice if they had pin assignments in the examples to be more clear.

This is the example from the manual that shows +24VDC on the +24V terminal, with switched ground on the DI pin to activate.
    Attachment 249882

However further in the manual are examples of the inputs, and one shows power being switched, but no pins are shown in the example.
    Attachment 249884

Now, my IO interface, a mesa 7i77, supplies "field power" + voltage on it's outputs, so it would be sending +24V to the dmm input pin.
    This would match the relay circuit in the above example, but of course there is no relay in the board, I think it's a transistor, I don't think it uses photocouplers.
    However the lower example shows ground being switched on a transistor.. Not sure where to go with this one.

Anyone care to show how they wired up their dyn3 I/O?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The drawings are not very explicit, but following the SW contact/transistor inputs, which makes sense, the contact is configured source device/sink input, the NPN transistor is sink device/source input, in fact sink device/source input should also work for contact input.
    You would either use ext +24vdc only connected for the second, and common only connected for the first.
    Al.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for the reply, it will take me a while to process that pdf, I have basic electrical understanding, but never had any training, so basically I know nothing.
    I'm figuring it out as I go.

Can you tell what is the purpose of the zener diode in the illustration?
    They act as a normal diode unless the reverse voltage is high enough, then they let current flow (from a few seconds reading)
    It is wired in reverse polarity in the illustration, I'm guessing it's to stop interference/low voltages from activating the input, Only a voltage larger than the breakdown voltage will make it to the optocoupler.
    and the resistor is to limit current to the optocoupler?

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post
    Can you tell what is the purpose of the zener diode in the illustration?
    They act as a normal diode unless the reverse voltage is high enough, then they let current flow (from a few seconds reading)
    It is wired in reverse polarity in the illustration, I'm guessing it's to stop interference/low voltages from activating the input, Only a voltage larger than the breakdown voltage will make it to the optocoupler.
    and the resistor is to limit current to the optocoupler?
    That is basically how it is used, the thing that does not make sense is the reverse diode on the 24vdc input (upper dwg), it would appear that it would block 24v from the opto inputs?
    Al.

Albert E.

probably a misprint, I have found a few others in the manual.

Thanks for your time.

alan_3301

You don't have to do any of the what you were wanting to do, & if you do want to use a remote Enable it is easier to use the on board 12V

Just add the power to the input 120/220vac connect your step/dir input & you are ready to run, you can play with the Dmm software, but very little to do there as well

None of these connections in the photo are needed to make the drives run
    Mactec54

mactec, the servo enable will be controlled by software, but that does give me an idea to use a relay to make/break the enable input, using the internal 12v.
    I go that way if I can't get the info on external powered inputs, especially what the DIG pin is for.

I decided to use analog speed input for the drive.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    None of these connections in the photo are needed to make the drives run
    What is the interpretation of them then??
    Presumably the DWG is included for a reason?
    Generally a external supply is used when total isolation is required, which presumably will not occur if an internal referenced supply is used?
    Al.

Albert E.

Al_The_Man

The connections are mainly for OEM use, you do have isolation with the on board supply, it works just the same as if you were to bring in the higher 24v supply most OEM's use 24V in there system & need to use these features/connections, but for Alan's set up he does not need any of these connections to be up & running,

He can use the Drive E-able & link all the Drives together, for start up or can be connected into a safety circuit, it just depends how tec he wants to get
    Mactec54

mactec, the servo enable will be controlled by software, but that does give me an idea to use a relay to make/break the enable input, using the internal 12v.
    I go that way if I can't get the info on external powered inputs, especially what the DIG pin is for.

I decided to use analog speed input for the drive.

thanks.
    Yes that will work use a solid state relay
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The connections are mainly for OEM use, you do have isolation with the on board supply, it works just the same as if you were to bring in the higher 24v supply most OEM's use 24V in there system & need to use these features/connections, but for Alan's set up he does not need any of these connections to be up & running,
    I still think if I was an OEM using CMM I would be confused, also why include the drawing without explanation that it is for OEM use and eliminate the confusion?

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I still think if I was an OEM using DMM I would be confused, also why include the drawing without explanation that it is for OEM use and eliminate the confusion?
    All of the Drive wiring is the same spec as any other AC servo Drive, Just with there Drive you can have a simple hook up, or a more complicated hook up your choice, there is no point in wiring things you don't need, it does say optional for some of the wiring

Both the Dyn2 & Dyn3 Drives have just had a major up date, the new drives even look different from those photos, the PDF files are not complete, they are work in progress, the Dyn2 Drives have moved up to 80v max input voltage, 16 Bit encoders have been added (65,536 P/R ) the Encoders now only have 4 wires, which also have an 8 bit security/safety check,to make sure the encoder is doing what it is told to do, motors are supper smooth with the new Encoders
    Mactec54

Ok I think it will work as described in my first post. External ground to DIG and switched 24v to DI1
    It does have more clarification in the manual, I got confused by the sample wiring diagram because it didn't show the DIG pin at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dmm diagram4.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	250092

Ok I think it will work as described in my first post. External ground to DIG and switched 24v to DI1
    It does have more clarification in the manual, I got confused by the sample wiring diagram because it didn't show the DIG pin at all.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dmm diagram4.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	250092
    That is very clear on how to use the 24v, I was not sure what you wanted to do, that is why I said to use the on-board 12v both will do the same thing, if your Breakout board outputs 24v then, using that make sense

Make sure you twist all your wires were ever you can, it will help with any noise you may have
    Mactec54