585,927 active members*
3,876 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DRO read out.............

I may have already asked this question but didn't get a reply so I'll try again.
    I have a BPT series II with a boss 6.
    This is what happens quite frequently..... On start up of the machine [I do the same start-up procedure every time] Turn on the rotary phase converter.....throw the switch in the on position on the back cabinet for the machine......pull out my E stop button....push the limit switch on the panel.
    DRO is reading all zeros.....I can move any axis while in setup mode...say to a predetermined move of one inch. The axis will physically move the one inch BUT the DRO reads like it has moved some crazy number like 33.5768 inches. I have to zero the DRO back out and do a manual move maybe 3-4-sometimes 5 or 6 times before the DRO starts to read what I'm telling the machine to move.

Any ideas on what is causing this to happen? It didn't always do this......Have had the machine for quite a few years and this just started maybe 1-2 yrs ago.
    I'm afraid one of these times I'm going to start up and the numbers will never work themselves out and never read correct.
    I assume it is something that is slowly deteriorating over time as it seems to be getting just a bit worse and take a little longer to straighten itself out.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: DRO read out.............

Hi cnc Rookie,

Not that it matters but is this a Series II CNC Rigid Ram or Series II NC? I'm not sure if the Series II NC had a BOSS 6 controls. I do have a Series II CNC Rigid RAM with BOSS6 controls still fully intact and operational and can run some comparisons with you if it may help. As there are no actual DRO scales on the Series II CNC Rigid Ram the problem has to be isolated to the actual control circuitry.

A couple things I would check:

1. Remove circuit boards one by one, run a pencil eraser across the edge card connectors on both sides so they shine again and then re-seat the board in the slot.
    2. Insure that all connectors at the front of the controller cards are seated properly by removing and reinserting.

I Just got a hold of a manual which I am hoping may have a set of controller schematics (don't hold your breath just yet). I will check that and see if I can't get you closer to where the issue may be if you still are having problems.

Quote Originally Posted by hdokes View Post
    Hi cnc Rookie,

Not that it matters but is this a Series II CNC Rigid Ram or Series II NC? I'm not sure if the Series II NC had a BOSS 6 controls. I do have a Series II CNC Rigid RAM with BOSS6 controls still fully intact and operational and can run some comparisons with you if it may help. As there are no actual DRO scales on the Series II CNC Rigid Ram the problem has to be isolated to the actual control circuitry.

A couple things I would check:

1. Remove circuit boards one by one, run a pencil eraser across the edge card connectors on both sides so they shine again and then re-seat the board in the slot.
    2. Insure that all connectors at the front of the controller cards are seated properly by removing and reinserting.

I Just got a hold of a manual which I am hoping may have a set of controller schematics (don't hold your breath just yet). I will check that and see if I can't get you closer to where the issue may be if you still are having problems.
    Thanks for the reply............
    It's a rigid ram....15x30 work window. I figured there were no scales on the machine and it had to be something in the electronics. The ole pencil eraser trick! I should have thought of that myself. The spindle switch went loopy on it once and I figured I had to get a new one. Found a guy over in Calif. that specializes in BP parts and he gave me instructions on how to dismantle the switch and do the eraser thing with the contacts in the switch. Saved me 300$ as it works fine now.
    I'll try that on the boards and report back.. May take a while to get after it but I'll let you know the results.
    Thanks again....

Well finally took the time and pulled all the boards. Did some house cleaning in the cabinet. Rubbed all the contact ends with a rubber eraser. Checked the plug ins on the ZDi board and closed it all back up.
    Still the same problem. I did talk with another BPT techie and he seems to think it may be in the board behind the readout. Haven't opened up or done anything inside there yet. No replace parts in there to my knowledge as it would be about a $350 board replacement. And that wouldn't guarantee a fix. Talked with another techie and he suggested after the start up to just hit the clear and reset switch in the tape reader box.
    Been doing that after each start up and so far it has worked to solve the problem!
    Kind of weird it worked fine without doing this for years and one day just decided to start messing with me. I'll continue this method till it doesn't work anymore and then go from there.