586,029 active members*
2,852 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > DRO installed. Need to adjust steps per inch. Anyone know how?
Page 1 of 2 12

DRO installed. Need to adjust steps per inch. Anyone know how?

I'll post some pics if you guys like but I installed a sino DRO on my Tormach. It was giving me some funky parts and I really needed the accuracy when "manual" milling. I just jogged .14" and got .176. Can I fix this in the software?

Thanks a ton guys!

Re: DRO installed. Need to adjust steps per inch. Anyone know how?

What's wrong with the DRO that comes with the machine?
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    What's wrong with the DRO that comes with the machine?
    The one on mach 3? It doesnt represent reality. It can say anything depending on what values are put in or the condition of the ballscrews.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
    The one on mach 3? It doesnt represent reality. It can say anything depending on what values are put in or the condition of the ballscrews.
    That's odd. I have been running my Series II for a little over 3 years, I have never made any gib adjustments, I run my machine 30 to 50 per week, and I can hold +/-.001 all day long.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

That's odd. I have been running my Series II for a little over 3 years, I have never made any gib adjustments, I run my machine 30 to 50 per week, and I can hold +/-.001 all day long.
    I agree. My machine is just over one year old and just checked my backlash on z and it's about. 00075 . Plenty accurate for me

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah this one was used in production from 07 to 2012. I have no idea how hard it was run in those years but I'd like to be able to determine if the screws need work (reballing most likely). The answers im getting seems to imply that there's no way to adjust the SPI on these machines.

Yeah this one was used in production from 07 to 2012. I have no idea how hard it was run in those years but I'd like to be able to determine if the screws need work (reballing most likely). The answers im getting seems to imply that there's no way to adjust the SPI on these machines.
    Steps Per is absolutely adjustable in ANY Mach3 installation. However, I believe that is one of the many settings that is disabled in the Tormach installation. You can ask Tormach for a Mach3 profile in which those settings are user-accessible, and you can then change them as necessary.

Re-balling will only affect backlash, not linear accuracy. You can measure the backlash and determine if backlash is excessive. Keep in mind the "dyanmic" backlhas - i.e. - the backlash when the machine is actually in use - is almost always less than what you will measure in a static test. If there is excessive backlash, and the gibs are properly adjusted, then the screws are almost certainly worn, and should be replaced.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Steps Per is absolutely adjustable in ANY Mach3 installation. However, I believe that is one of the many settings that is disabled in the Tormach installation. You can ask Tormach for a Mach3 profile in which those settings are user-accessible, and you can then change them as necessary.

Re-balling will only affect backlash, not linear accuracy. You can measure the backlash and determine if backlash is excessive. Keep in mind the "dyanmic" backlhas - i.e. - the backlash when the machine is actually in use - is almost always less than what you will measure in a static test. If there is excessive backlash, and the gibs are properly adjusted, then the screws are almost certainly worn, and should be replaced.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Now that I think of it I think you can adjust the number of steps per inch in tormach configuration utility. The same utility that is used to change probe polarity

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

There are much easier ways to check backlash and travel accuracy than to install a 3rd party DRO.

Mike

Quote: It was giving me some funky parts and I really needed the accuracy when "manual" milling. just jogged .14" and got .176. Can I fix this in the software?

Fix the base problem, don't add additional sources for error. If your machine is acting funky then fix funky, don't add additional funky.

Phil

If your using a dro with absolute positioning you should be able to adjust it for accurate readings.You can ignore all the posts above if you are just adding scales for Manuel use. From what I can tell correct me if I'm wrong this has nothing to do with mach 3 or cnc control at all? I can't download the Manuel for some reason but it should be in there somewhere.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bhurts View Post
    If your using a dro with absolute positioning you should be able to adjust it for accurate readings.You can ignore all the posts above if you are just adding scales for Manuel use. From what I can tell correct me if I'm wrong this has nothing to do with mach 3 or cnc control at all? I can't download the Manuel for some reason but it should be in there somewhere.

Ben
    He is suggesting to correct a dro error of " .14" and got .17" in software, doesn't this ring any bells in your head?

Phil

I understand that his tormach is reading different then his dro. It seems that his dro is not calibrated and needs to be so he can manuely jog the machine while ignoring mach 3 all together. He wants his Sino dro that he has already installed to read correctly. I may be misinterpreting but that's what I'm understanding from his post. I agree with the other posters that he should fix his screw/mach3 issues. I don't think that has anything to do with the question he's asking about though. I use Manuel Bridgeports at work and if I were to go by the dials on the handles it would be difficult to make accurate parts. Since they have very accurate dro's any issues with backlash and screws can be ignored while still getting very good tolerance parts. This is basically what I think he is trying to do.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Quote: It was giving me some funky parts and I really needed the accuracy when "manual" milling. just jogged .14" and got .176. Can I fix this in the software?

Fix the base problem, don't add additional sources for error. If your machine is acting funky then fix funky, don't add additional funky.

Phil
    This is what I would do. Fix the problem or just some simple maintenance that is covered in the Tormach manual.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Quote Originally Posted by bhurts View Post

Ben
    Those are digital quadrature scales - there is no adjustment. They should be accurate to within 5um right out of the box. I have to assume the scales are correct, and the steps/inch in Mach3 is setup incorrectly, unless I'm completely misunderstanding his post.

Regards,
    Ray L.

The scales are accurate no matter as you state. That does not make the readout correct. The readout on the ones I use are adjusted at first installment and never have to be touched again.

Another quote from SampDonkey : The one on mach 3? It doesn't represent reality. It can say anything depending on what values are put in or the condition of the ballscrews.

Correcting P4 ball-screw (as fitted to the Tormach) inaccuracy is getting down to the realms of a tenth of a thou. If you are down at this level then you need to look at many other mechanical issues before trying to improve things with a dro. In fact if you need a tenth then you need to move way, way upmarket from a Tormach. In any case a tenth of a thou (or even a thou) doesn't fit with the description of "my machine is acting funky so I fitted a dro".

I think SwampDonkey needs to give additional feedback.

Who out there is mapping their Tormach ballscrews because they need to?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Who out there is mapping their Tormach ballscrews because they need to?

Phil
    The answer to that question is: nobody. Screw mapping in Mach3 has never worked right.

But, you're right - even talking about accuracy in the tenths on ANY machine in this class or price-range is nothing more than wishful thinking.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I'll post some pics if you guys like but I installed a sino DRO on my Tormach. It was giving me some funky parts and I really needed the accuracy when "manual" milling. I just jogged .14" and got .176. Can I fix this in the software?

Thanks a ton guys!
    Are you sure you didn't program your part to be cut with a 3/16 end mill and actually do it with a 5/32.

If you don't know how to modify steps per inch in Mach3 then they are probably still set to the original Tormach defaults - so don't change them. Looking at the values you provided it looks to me like you might have the wrong steps per rotation set on your drive - this can give you the exact values that you report. Check that the Dip switches are set correctly.
    The good news is that you do appear have the drives running now
    Step

Page 1 of 2 12