585,766 active members*
4,002 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SolidCAM for SolidWorks and SolidCAM for Inventor > Does imachining 3D recognize fixture and clamps ?

Does imachining 3D recognize fixture and clamps ?

How do I get imachining 3D to avoid my clamps and fixtures ?

Re: Does imachining 3D recognize fixture and clamps ?

hi,

put a picture of the workpiece and a little more detail?

Ok if I am using my vice to hold the work piece I won't have any obstruction around the work piece but if I am using a fixture to hold my work piece obviously I would have clamps too . The problem is while using imachining 3D even I define my fixture it won't see it as a fixture . So during the calculation it won't see any fixture . What it see is the stock and target

Additional controls in Machine setup.

I have done that too but Imachining3D doesn't seems to calculate that . It shows on my simulation and the tool cuts through it

Anyone found a solution for this? I have an assembly in which I have my main model (target) and I extruded stock as a part, and I extruded two clamps which I mated to the top of the stock positioned where they will be on the table of my mill.

I go into SC and I can define the model (target), the stock I created, and I go into fixtures and define the fixtures. I also double checked that the selected clamps I setup in "Fixtures" were present in "Machine Setup". I calculate a tool path but SC just draws the same tool path it would as if the clamps were never defined. I would expect SC to treat the fixtures as a "stay away" boundary, but it doesn't even recognize them.

Is it just that fixtures are only there for a visual only and SC doesn't recognize them during tool path generation, and you are suppose to define your own boundaries separately for the fixtures? If not, I have no clue how this software works then because I have tried and tried and there is no normal manual for this software, just a bunch of tutorials which don't cover clamps that I can find. In fact, these "training videos" only scratch the surface of what a new user needs to learn to use it which is making it very hard to give this software a decent demo, let alone want to demo it any further.

BTW, in addition to my post above, I did watch "Lesson 5" on Defining a Fixture... I followed the steps exactly, with the difference being my imported part was a simple extruded rectangle which sits on top of either end of the stock as clamps. Doesn't matter, SC creates tool paths on entire stock despite fixtures being defined.

The only difference I saw is when I click the SW "Configurations" tab I only have "Default" listed. I have no idea what that tab is for in relation to fixtures since the video doesn't explain really anything in detail, but it seem to be irrelevant except for the fact it is mentioned. I don't see why defining the fixture in SC would not be enough but who knows, there is no docs to speak of I can find.

I will say SC is probably the most frustrating of ALL of the CAM packages because it has so much promise but it is so lacking in terms of basic docs and clear and concise work flow all the way through so a new user can get parts programmed and ready for post without wanting to throw their PC across the screen. Yes, many are even worse in terms of function/design, but what makes SC so much more frustrating is it seems like it has good tool paths and is very promising, which makes the rest of it all the more disappointing because I may lose out on it over some simple oversights in terms of support docs, and GUI/workflow that seems like it would be obvious to any developer that they were necessary. What a shame.

See my projects here:
    solidcamx solidcam - YouTube

I went there but it looks like all 4/5 axis stuff, not related to my inquiry about clamps on the table/workpiece. Is there a video that shows how to use clamps on 3 axis that will make it so Solidcam keeps it toolpath out of the area of the clamps? So far, even with setting up the fixtures as described it still creates toolpaths as if no clamps were present... go right through them.

ok as i understand imachining 3D doesn't include the defined fixture during the tool path calculation its all about material left to cut and target
    the fixture definition is just to see in the simulation whether your tool is crashing on it or not . A workaround option is to define working area
    which is like a pocket geometry open and closed chains around the fixture and clamps. if you want to control the surface of your fixture use the
    lower level tab to control it . i hope in future solidcam would use the defined fixture geometry more effectively in tool path calculation