585,771 active members*
4,128 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > Dear Mr. Colt... Duramax HRT for Powermax600 CE to Powermax600 with quick disconnect.

Dear Mr. Colt... Duramax HRT for Powermax600 CE to Powermax600 with quick disconnect.

Hello Jim. :wave:
    I would like to connect a Duramax HRT torch (#228918) without the quick disconnect to my Powermax600 with the quick disconnect. I have the gas connection taken care of, and I just wanted to check that the wiring is as straightforward as it seems to be.

White wires connected to where the original white wires connect, red to red, and the 3 wire (purple/orange/blue) connector swapped with the original connector.

However, one thing is holding me back. The wiring on my machine has 1 purple wire coming from the torch going to the 3 wire connector. The Duramax torch has this same wire, along with a SECOND purple wire that is spliced into the orange wire going to the 3 wire connector. If you look closely at the photo, you can see it along side the orange wire exiting the Duramax torch.

Is this something I need to be concerned about, or can I proceed with making the connections as described?

Thank you for you help!

Attachment 250244

Re: Dear Mr. Colt... Duramax HRT for Powermax600 CE to Powermax600 with quick disconn

I looked at the wiring diagrams and there is nothing that shows me The spliced wires as you mention. I would probably be inclined to ring out the wires with a meter to determine where they go....which would mean taking the torch head apart as well. You could contact Hypertherm tech service, although they may not be able to help you since you are essentially using the wrong torch for the plasma power supply that you have. If you need further help from me please contact me directly and I'll see if I can get better documentation from our tech service guys.

Jim Colt [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by tpeerson View Post
    Hello Jim. :wave:
    I would like to connect a Duramax HRT torch (#228918) without the quick disconnect to my Powermax600 with the quick disconnect. I have the gas connection taken care of, and I just wanted to check that the wiring is as straightforward as it seems to be.

White wires connected to where the original white wires connect, red to red, and the 3 wire (purple/orange/blue) connector swapped with the original connector.

However, one thing is holding me back. The wiring on my machine has 1 purple wire coming from the torch going to the 3 wire connector. The Duramax torch has this same wire, along with a SECOND purple wire that is spliced into the orange wire going to the 3 wire connector. If you look closely at the photo, you can see it along side the orange wire exiting the Duramax torch.

Is this something I need to be concerned about, or can I proceed with making the connections as described?

Thank you for you help!

Attachment 250244

Re: Dear Mr. Colt... Duramax HRT for Powermax600 CE to Powermax600 with quick disconn

Hi Jim.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I did some wire tracing and, although there are a different number of wires, the connections all end up at the same place. See the diagram below for what I discovered about the 2nd purple wire.

Tim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PAC123T Duramax wiring comparison.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	250674