585,978 active members*
4,085 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Dainichi w/ Fanuc OM must be restarted after hitting reset

Dainichi w/ Fanuc OM must be restarted after hitting reset

Greetings all,

We have a problem with two of our oldest Dainichi lathes running Fanuc OM controls. The problem is centered around the reset button on each machine - if we press it, bump it or touch it - the machines must be turned off, restarted, and re-homed in order for it to recognize its position. Another issue somewhat safety wise is that if you press the reset - the spindle continues to turn at the called speed until you switch to manual and physically press the spindle stop button. We have two newer-ish Dainichi lathes with the 21-T, and no reset issue on them other than the spindle continuing to turn after pressing the button.

Firstly I'm curious if the loss of position can be cured or its just the nature of the beast? I ran an old hardinge chnc-1 with OM three or four years ago and don't recall it doing this. During the process of setup, proving a new program, or a mistake made - its nice to have the reset as an option - right now, its a pain in the you know what and really inefficient for any stops that are needed.

Secondly - Is there a way to make it kill the spindle from rotating upon reset? This is not as huge of issue as there are audible and visual cues normally, but if we're hitting reset anyways, there is no reason for it to continue to spin. The only other issue I can find with the spindle continuing to spin is that if it hasn't picked up a G50 limit it ramps up hard which has happened leading to "resets" and the basis of my question.

So is there anything we can do to cure one or both of these problems, or are we stuck to live with them until the machines are replaced with the next best thing?

Thanks for the help!

Not an expert, but it sounds to me like there are some issues with the machine tool builder and how they addressed the I/O. The control is only going to do what it is told to do.

Re: Dainichi w/ Fanuc OM must be restarted after hitting reset

Thanks for the reply - is there any changes or fixes that can be made to the parameters or otherwise that would address it, or is that more of something where I have to have a technician do some hardcore troubleshooting? At this point, the machines are old enough I'm almost sure they will be replaced within the next year or two; however I would like to have them work more efficiently in the mean time.

Quick FYI - I was mistaken, its a Fanuc OT control, not OM is that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Re: Dainichi w/ Fanuc OM must be restarted after hitting reset

Look for a switch on the panel, or a parameter for manual absolute. Loosing position like you describe is usually that.