584,846 active members*
4,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cut bevel and excess slag

Hi all,

I have recently taken over a position and am now working with a 2 x 4 Torchmate with a Powermax 65 plasma. I have been following the manual for best settings and have tried new consumables in the machine however I am still getting excess slag on the underside of material and also a bevel on the edges which I think is excessive.
    All files are sent from the designer as DXF
    Last cut was 2.5mm Stainless sheet 304 with speed of around 100ipm, 0.6mm from job, 45A and using finecut consumables. Also 8mm mild steel using 65A shielded also gets a large bevel.
    Any help much appreciated

Pictures of the 2.5mm stainless cut

Re: Cut bevel and excess slag

Is your air really dry? Do you have an air dryer?

Jeff

I don't have a Powermax 65 but do have a Torchmate with an older Hypertherm. I haven't kept up with the newer models so not sure if they make specific consumables for your plasma cutter for finer cuts in thin metal, but I'd check. They do make a difference. Obviously the thicker the metal the more pronounced your bevel will be, but with what you're cutting the bevel should be nearly non existent. My first guess would be your consumables. Make sure all your consumables are new or in good condition. Make sure you are using a dryer/filter on your air line and the filter is new. Check your machines recommended air pressure. Some machine will let you know if the pressure is too low, but not if it's too high. If all the above are good, try some different voltage settings and cut speeds. Too high or low voltage will cause issues, Too fast or slow of a cut speed can cause issues. I'd take some scrap metal and start cutting some 3-4 inch lines at different settings and find what works best. Looking at your photos, something is definitely not right. I've never gotten that much slag on thin steel. On steel that thin you should have little or nearly none.

You can go directly to Torchmate and download their test cut DXF files. These files will vary both speed and voltage and then you can pick the one of 13 lines it cuts that gives you the best results. If you do this on the say 3-4 most used types thickness of material you will start to get a good idea of where the settings should be.

All of the above comments on air dryness, air pressure, and proper consumables should be considered as a priority.

If the slag is on the back then it is most likely cut speed, on the top voltage issue, and bevel is air pressure, consumables and torch height. Does this table have a AVHC? Is your torch parallel to the work surface?

If that center hole is suppose to be round and the larger internal holes are suppose to be round (and are round in the DXF file) you have some slop in the gantry cam followers or spur gear drives by the looks of the part.