585,712 active members*
4,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Coolant mister problem(homebrew)

Coolant mister problem(homebrew)

Ok i have been working on a home brew coolant mister system...I thought i was all finished but I ran into a problem...the small siphon hole doesn't siphon it blows air out...I thought it was a pretty simple deal but apparently not...made the large straight through bore 5/16" using a regular air hose coming in and a 5/16" plastic airline going out to the nozzle... the siphon hole intersecting at 90 degrees is much smaller...maybe 1/8". this didnt work so i blocked off the 90 degree hole and drilled one that intersected at 45 degrees...same result.

any advice would be helpful.
    http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

To create a siphon, you need to have to coolant inlet at a point of very high velocity airflow. The high velocity causes a low pressure, which "sucks" the coolant into the airflow (Google "Bernoulli effect"). This is typically accomplished by creating a venturi in the airway.

However, for coolant, a "FogBuster" setup is inifinitely superior to the siphon approach. The patent is here, and is easily home-built:

Coolant spray system - Google Patent Search

A FogBuster will provide a virtually invisible, ice-cold mist with enough airflow to efficiently clear chips, and requires very little air (I'm using a $79 compressor) or coolant (I've been working for 5 years on my first gallon of coolant concentrate, and I've still got about 1/2 gallon left), and makes virtually no mess when properly setup (perhaps a few teaspoons of excess coolant on the machine at the end of an 8-10 hour day).

Regards,
    Ray L.

looks easy enough...i guess the hard part would be what to use as the pressure tank...

Quote Originally Posted by mwood3 View Post
    looks easy enough...i guess the hard part would be what to use as the pressure tank...

Your local home center will have household water filters for about $30 that work perfectly.

Regards,
    Ray L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1040586.JPG   P1040608.JPG  

Very good info Ray! I built a siphon mister and it works okay but spurts more than mists and I'm not happy with it or using it.

Is the pic that you posted one that you made ? If so, do you have any details such as bore sizes and what you used for the needle valve ?

Also, good idea on the water filter housing for a pressure tank, they make them in clear also (or at least used to) and that would be even better.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SScnc View Post
    Very good info Ray! I built a siphon mister and it works okay but spurts more than mists and I'm not happy with it or using it.

Is the pic that you posted one that you made ? If so, do you have any details such as bore sizes and what you used for the needle valve ?

Also, good idea on the water filter housing for a pressure tank, they make them in clear also (or at least used to) and that would be even better.

Steve
    Sorry, no details - I just made it up as I went. Only a few dimensions really matter, and those are all laid out in the patent. The rest you can just do whatever is easiest. The hardest part is making a decent needle valve, that will give fine enough control.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SScnc View Post

Steve
    Check this out scroll down towards the bottom and he has it all laid out for us

Bob Warfields site has lots of good info and he is always very detail oriented...
    CNCCookbook: Coolant Mister