585,573 active members*
3,484 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Configured depth went double.

I'm using sheet cam and Mach3 software is up to date.

I was cutting 0.5" in 3 passes, the shape was simple, a rectangle with two more rectangles inside. All in the same layer, sheet cam detected the interior lines and set an interior offset. I have done this before with no problems. The first interior rectangle was cut at the correct depth, the second rectangle is where it dropped to 1". Mach3 screen displayed 0.5" at the time. When the router retracted it only went up 0.5" and hit the material. I double check and everything was normal. What do you think happened?

Re: Configured depth went double.

sounds like Z lost steps?

Apart from lost steps, what does the program look like, post your program, this may also have some problems
    Mactec54

litleboy

Your program is fine, I ran it through Mach3 with not problems, there is some unusual ways that the Z is being used but should not of caused any problems

I did see one thing, Line N0110 G43 H3 this usually has a Z move in this line G43 Z.250 H3 you next line N0112 you have G00 Z.250 which would not be needed

This still works fine the way it is, but did you use the tool offset to set your tool # T3, when you call a G43 it will look in the tool settings, at the Tool #3 & if there is a number in there then it will use that as your Z axes movement for that tool # 3

Apart from Tool setting, this there is nothing in the program to cause it to do this
    Mactec54

thanks mactec54 for putting the time to check.

offset is 0 for all my tools, and I only had one operation. all same depth. I wonder if my computer did something that made mach3 get stuck while Z was going down. its a slow computer, even if I try to change window during a cut, the motors will stop moving while the window is minimizing. I change the settings of the PC to have more free resources. this is just an idea, I have no real clue of what happened. in other hand sheetcam had an update that day and today there was another. I wonder if there was a bad code. I not good at looking the codes. but you say the program look fine. I just hope I wont ruin an expensive material. Its frustrating not knowing what happened. If I make a mistake a learn from it no matter how expensive is the mistake.

litleboy

You must turn off updates, no internet connection, antivirus Etc, this can mess things up, Do not try & do something else when Mach3 is running on a slow computer, Free up resources will help but turn off everything you can

You are running a machine, you really should have a dedicated computer, just for your machine control, there are some powerful computers that can multitask but it is always better to have your machine control as a stand alone, with nothing else happening
    Mactec54

yes, I have a dedicated computer, sheetcam and my design soft is on my workstation. last thing I did with the cnc PC, I turn off all visual effects, I dont even have antivirus, I don't use the web, I will check on any running services on the background.

after a lot of reading, looks like a lot of people were having problems with Z axis loosing steps with Gecko G540. so far I found 3 possible solutions, change the step pulse to 5us, filter the current? and dissipate the heat. I can't duplicate the error, its not constant. you think if I add a power conditioner will help? are these option the final answer? is there another option? thanks.

litleboy

If you are loosing steps, then you need to go into Motor Tuning in Mach 3 lower your Velocity & Acceleration settings, you also could be getting noise from your spindle, this can cause the loss of steps, does it still do the same thing, with the VFD & Spindle turned off
    Mactec54

I'm running tests, it doesn't happen every time. we are installing a dedicated circuit for the router, last week router RPM slowed down considerably and smoke came from the router motor. I'm guessing I could be having voltage problems, but its only affecting Z

Quote Originally Posted by litleboy View Post
    I'm running tests, it doesn't happen every time. we are installing a dedicated circuit for the router, last week router RPM slowed down considerably and smoke came from the router motor. I'm guessing I could be having voltage problems, but its only affecting Z

Smoke coming from the spindle, is an indication you don't have the correct Parameters set in the VFD, What VFD are you using I have Parameter settings for most, also what spindle size 1.5Kw or 2.2Kw

It really sounds like you have a noise problem, your VFD wiring has to use shielded cable & wired correctly
    Mactec54

I use a bosh router connected directly to building power, for 8 months I had no problem with loosing steps, I installed a switched outlet and plug vacuum, and router on that outlet and PC, and CNC cabinet are connected to the same strip. I started having problems soon after I installed the switched outlet, loose of power on the router and now I'm thinking losing steps because of building voltage. we are in an old building so we are in the process of installing a dedicated circuit for the router, vacuum, PC and CNC still on same circuit. U put thing back they way there where and I'm still losing steps. but cant replicate it buy just moving Z up and down, and its not constant. I'm thinking to install a power conditioner for CNC and PC. don't know what kind though.

tuned out to be a worn collet. I did check all mechanical parts for loosen screws or movements, I didn't think it was the collet because I was tightening it very well, but I read it recommended to change the collet every 600 hrs, it did had a dent inside. so the collect was losing grip in the middle of the job.