585,728 active members*
4,801 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Conect Numerical Controls "Minor Mill"
Page 1 of 2 12

Conect Numerical Controls "Minor Mill"

Good Evening,

I am waiting on delivery on a minor mill from Conect. There is no PC (or i guess micro computer) just the machine. Has anyone got any experience with these machines? I wish to run it via mach3 which I also run my starturn off.
    I assume I will have to get it converted to run off mach on a computer and I'm just putting a few feelers out to see what i'e let myself in for...

Does anyone know where I can get any original machine data for it also (specs etc).

As always any advice wold be grateful.

Thanks
    J.

Quote Originally Posted by JQ_Quint View Post
    I assume I will have to get it converted to run off mach on a computer and I'm just putting a few feelers out to see what i'e let myself in for...
    J.
    Is this a CNC ready machine? or a manual you wish to convert?
    If manual, it most likely has acme screw instead of ball screw.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

It is a cnc machine but from long gone (boxford style) , which is why i'm wondering what i may have to do to it to enable it to run on mach?

So yes it should have ballscrews already..

J.

Have you tried here:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/

Phil

It is a cnc machine but from long gone (boxford style) , which is why i'm wondering what i may have to do to it to enable it to run on mach?

So yes it should have ballscrews already..

J.

Conect Minor = Denford Triac ?

I've looked at this link phil, but no luck.

I have however come across a Denford Triac and this machine and its config look exactly the same as the conect minor mill. Could this be the same machine? Does anyone know anything about the triac?

Jamie

Definitely not a Triac.
    We have converted about 6 triac's to Mach3 and modern electronics now so I know what these look like in the flesh.

The Triac has a dovetail Z axis with the Y and Z motors mounted inside the column.

Add to this Denford were in direct competition to connect in the educational market so they would not have shared any models.

John S.

John S.
    My assumptions were really only based on a machine labelled up as a denford triac in a workshop magazine that whsmiths released and the machine in there is not as you described. But hey if you have been working on these for a while now you obviously know what our talking about.

Thanks for clearing that up John.
    J.

Hi J,

I have a Starturn5 lathe, fully working with it's original LCB3 controll box.
    I want to convert it to run with Mach3. I have already built a flatbed 3 axis router and running it on Mach 3 very well. Ideally I want to use the same electronics package I built to replace the Starturns LCB3 controller.

Any help on wiring the steppers and and their encoders and limit switches would be great. I believe controlling the tool changer might be an issue.

Many thanks in anticipation.

George

I run my Conect minor mill with Techsoft 2d Design.

[QUOTE=antcowan;1002294]I run my Conect minor mill with Techsoft 2d Design.[/QUOTE

Hi there, I recently got connect router 250 but I'm told it'll only run on 2D design V1 which the company tells me they no longer make,is this what you rd runs on?

Re: Conect Numerical Controls "Minor Mill"

[QUOTE=aegir71;1659452]
    Quote Originally Posted by antcowan View Post
    I run my Conect minor mill with Techsoft 2d Design.[/QUOTE

Hi there, I recently got connect router 250 but I'm told it'll only run on 2D design V1 which the company tells me they no longer make,is this what you rd runs on?

wow the last post here was years ago..lol

Regardless, Im not sure I understand who told you this and why? I dont know 2d design v1 but isn't it simply a cad/cam package? If so it wont "run" the machine but simply churn out the g-code ready to be accepted by something like mach3 etc to run on the machine (assuming the machine has the correct controller boards to suit mach)...

Can you confirm exactly what this 2d design v1 is??

J

[QUOTE=JQ_Quint;1659476]
    Quote Originally Posted by aegir71 View Post

Regardless, Im not sure I understand who told you this and why? I dont know 2d design v1 but isn't it simply a cad/cam package? If so it wont "run" the machine but simply churn out the g-code ready to be accepted by something like mach3 etc to run on the machine (assuming the machine has the correct controller boards to suit mach)...

J

[QUOTE=JQ_Quint;1659476]
    Quote Originally Posted by aegir71 View Post

J

I was told by the school that originally used it that this was the software they ran it on, it was made by techsoft who no longer sell this version

To be honest I'm very in the dark here and am just interested in getting the blighter running!

Do you want a copy of the 2d design software? I can help u out with any technical bits too to get it running.[QUOTE=aegir71;1659496]

I was told by the school that originally used it that this was the software they ran it on, it was made by techsoft who no longer sell this version

To be honest I'm very in the dark here and am just interested in getting the blighter running!

[QUOTE=antcowan;1659600]Do you want a copy of the 2d design software? I can help u out with any technical bits too to get it running.

That would be brilliant thank you! My email is [email protected] thanks again!

aegir, you might want to pm your email address in the future. Who knows the reasons people want to abuse emails?
    A lazy man does it twice.

Guys, I have just bought a Conect Minor2 mill. This machine came from a school and was sold at auction, and the buyer never got time to get it going. The computer came with VR Milling control software but requires a dongle to connect the software to the machine but this is missing so I cant get it to run. I would like software to get it running and in the long term get it converted to Mach 3. If anyone can assist it would be much appreciated.

VR Milling is for Denford machines. Conect had their own software, which was either BBC or DOS based.

Conquerer, who's boards were used in some Conect machines, still exist and do an upgrade kit - Conqueror Design & Engineering Ltd - CNC control cards, stepper motor drives, CAD/CAM, CNC software, EaziCNC
    Although having just checked their site, the upgrade kit is out of stock, and it should be £150.

Personally, I'd look at upgrading the controller and stepper drivers as the original controller/drivers were pretty basic, and modern stepper drivers will give you better performance.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    VR Milling is for Denford machines. Conect had their own software, which was either BBC or DOS based.

Conquerer, who's boards were used in some Conect machines, still exist and do an upgrade kit - Conqueror Design & Engineering Ltd - CNC control cards, stepper motor drives, CAD/CAM, CNC software, EaziCNC
    Although having just checked their site, the upgrade kit is out of stock, and it should be £150.

Personally, I'd look at upgrading the controller and stepper drivers as the original controller/drivers were pretty basic, and modern stepper drivers will give you better performance.
    Mark, I'd take mc's advice here... Years back I was talking to MDE about swapping all drives to their kit, didn't go ahead due to time (children)... If I was to undertake this project today this is probably the route is take. The guys at MDE from memory were very helpful.
    Ps I play around with a 4axis router these days running mach3..😌

Thanks JQ & M_C
    Advice is much appreciated, I have left word with Conqueror to contact me but going by opinion I would rather go with Mach3 as the support on forums and youtube is excellent. Will take a look at MDE and see where it leads.
    Having issues finding MDE if you have any further info on them I would be obliged

Page 1 of 2 12