585,956 active members*
4,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > CNC Spindle motor power wire type and sheilding from other wires?
Page 1 of 2 12

CNC Spindle motor power wire type and sheilding from other wires?

I am at the wiring step of my Brother TC-225 Rebuild/Retrofit that you can see here for refrence.http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...-retrofit.html

I am trying to figure out what kind of Wire I need for the Spindle motor power. and also how to wire in the noise filter I salvaged from the original electronics.
    Heres whats going on:

Running a Yaskawa AC Spindle Motor # UAASKA-08LYA11 7.5kw
    I don't have documentation On wiring this motor and any input would be greatly apreciated a few questions I have are: This is the closest I can find but only lists power cable for drive I dont have... http://www.yaskawa.com/site/dmspindl...IE-S626-6C.pdf
    -What gauge wire do I need? where can I find it?
    -What kind of sheilding do I need?
    -I plan to run this through a cable chain from the electrical cabinet to the spindle, will i have problems runing the encoder cable, tool changer cables and limit switches in the same cable chain?
    -What wire should I use for the encoder?
    -The manual also mentions issue with switching with magnetic contractor, I have a large noise filter from the original machine electronics can I and how would I incorporate it?

The second part of the equation is the Baldor 10hp closed loop vector drive to run the spindle.
    -Attachment 231164
    -The drive manual lists 8ga wire for the drive, can i assume between drive and motor?
    -it also recommends using fuses but there are many types what type would I use? and dose the fuse voltage have to match the incoming voltage(230V)?

Any help with this stuff would be greatly appreciated!

Re: CNC Spindle motor power wire type and sheilding from other wires?

Anyone?

Some places recommend shields power cable to the VFD, In all the VFD's I have installed over the years I have always used TEW or MTW with VFD to motor twisted conductors, the earth ground is ran along side (not twisted), this is the common method used by most industrial MTB's, and probably the original installation.
    You require shielded cable for the encoder, containing preferably individual shielded pairs and O.A. braid shield for the cable.
    The chart shows the gauge you require for the motor, obtain the FLA off of the motor plate.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks Al,
    I was hoping you would chime in!

This is the link to the motor name plate: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16hHJHYE9nzpgIOoBQ-Cww,IHg~~60_57.JPG
    Judging by that I would guess I need to go with 6GA? I am slightly confused by all the listed fuse options.

Do you think I will be ok running the encoder cable in the same wire track as the spindle power wire?

You might just make it with #8, if you don't anticipate running at full load amps often.
    You need high quality cable if running in the same track, individual shielded pairs and O.A. Braid as I mentioned.
    I use the best (Belden 9891) because I do it for a living and do not risk the cheaper versions although you can get almost equal for less $.
    You want RC snubbers across any AC solenoids and contactor coils.
    http://www.automation.siemens.com/do.../emv_r.pdf?p=1
    Al.

Albert E.

AL I doubt I will ever get to that full load amps.

As far as the Spindle power cable goes you are saying that I would just be manually twisting the three MTW and then running a ground MTW alongside outside the twist correct?

I will have to check the supplied encoder cable that came with the Z axis servo motor to make sure it has adequate shielding. Is there somewhere I can order the appropriate Belden 9891 wire from by the foot? I don't mind spending the money if It will prevent problems in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by PIVOTALCUSTOMS View Post
    As far as the Spindle power cable goes you are saying that I would just be manually twisting the three MTW and then running a ground MTW alongside outside the twist correct?

Yes, what I do.

Also it is very important to make sure the encoder is a differential type, not single ended, the former has noise suppression designed in.
    It is very hard to buy short lengths of the Belden, I buy it in 100ft rolls, how much do you need?
    Al.

Albert E.

Al I will likely need about 20' or two 10' runs since the Z axis encoder cable appeared to be poorly shielded. If you have anything laying around I would be interested in purchasing some from you.

I appear to have a good part of a 500ft drum, I could take of 20ft at say $1.50/ft for you +p/p, I see the current replacement is $6.00 a ft!
    It has a 20g pair for supply and 3 22g pairs for signal.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al that would be great! Sorry I didn't notice you'r reply sooner. I think I will do 25' to be safe, if you would PM me a total price and your PAYPAL info and I will send the $ over to you!

I will get the total and P.M. you.
    today, or tomorrow AM.
    Al.

Albert E.

"I doubt I will ever get to that full load amps." Maybe you won't, but one day if you decide to sell it to someone, will you let them know about it?

For what it's worth, 6 gauge is good insurance for you and maybe eventually the next owner.
    For a few dollars more and extra hassle and stiffness, put the good stuff in.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I will get the total and P.M. you.
    today, or tomorrow AM.
    Al.
    It's ready to ship.
    Al.

Albert E.

Al just paypal'd ya thanks for all the help.

Thanks.
    Send your shipping address (same email) , Paypal did not include it.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by PIVOTALCUSTOMS View Post
    AL I doubt I will ever get to that full load amps.
    Possibly but that is not a good reason to undersized the wire. I'd strongly suggest determining the motors full load amps and using that as a guide to size your wire.
    This would be a very common way to supply power to a motor. However if the wire has to run in a cable chain I'd look for wore designed for use in a cable chain with a focus on cables with rugged outer covers. This of course is somewhat dependent upon how the axis and thus the cable chain is used but wiring in such chain is subject to significant wear. For a spindle sometimes you can avoid a cable chain altogether if the movements of the motor are limited. Cable chains have their own issues so you have to consider if they are worth it or if you need a more expletive sealed solution.
    I will have to check the supplied encoder cable that came with the Z axis servo motor to make sure it has adequate shielding. Is there somewhere I can order the appropriate Belden 9891 wire from by the foot? I don't mind spending the money if It will prevent problems in the future.
    An industrial electrical supplier should be able to supply cut lengths. Good cabling is important but so is a good installation. If this is a metal working machine you don't want to use drag chains that collect chips. Also minimizing cable connectors, splices and the like help a great deal. It would not hurt one bit to run your signal and motor wires directly to the drive with the only breaks at the drive and at the motor. Also make sure the outer wrap of any cable you use is compatible with any fluids that might come into contact with it.

WIzard,

Even at full load amps I would be JUST inside 8ga's capacity but I will be running 6 ga for a good safety factor.

As far as the cable chain goes, the chain and cable wont see much major flexing more or less just to support the cables span to the Z axis and some motion It will be well out of the reach of chips and fluids so I am not so much concerned with that..

If you don't need a long run, 8 would be fine, and I'd look at McMaster carrs super flex, its machine cable made for this application and finely stranded. Its a little pricey but nice cable. Last thing you want is a nick in the cable shorting out your drive.

Sent from my G-Tab Quantum using Tapatalk

Ok guys this kind of goes along with my original question. The spindle motor and Z Axis servo are powered by 3 phase 230, while the X & Y axis are single phase 220 and the PC requires single phase 110 how do I accomplish this while only running one 3 phase 230 line into the machine? Do I just use one leg? Transformers? whats the best solution here?

Page 1 of 2 12