584,800 active members*
4,273 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > CNC Fusion Kit #5 Y-axis ballscrew too long? LMS HiTorque/SX2L

Question CNC Fusion Kit #5 Y-axis ballscrew too long? LMS HiTorque/SX2L

CNC fusion kit for LMS HiTorque/SX2L

Is this normal, or did I do something wrong? Can I create a spacer between the motor mount and frame?

Attachment 276220

Attachment 276218
    KL-4530 CNC, KL-6060, 5 3D printers, CNC Fusion Converted LMS Milling Machine, 60w Laser Cutter

Re: CNC Fusion Kit #5 Y-axis ballscrew too long? LMS HiTorque/SX2L

The bronze bush at the column end of the saddle - is that something you've added as i've never see it before and in all honesty its not required for screw support and with the tolerances on these machines could lead to binding between screw and nut! That may be stopping the screw pushing fully back......it's been a while since mine was apart so can't remember what that end looked like!

Im pretty sure you need to create a spacer. I believe they keep the length of the Y the same as the regular X2, and the LMS is a bit bigger. I don't have mine anymore, but I remember having to make a spacer for it. I am not sure but I believe it was either 1/8" or 1/4" thick, and was a very easy part to make. Was one of many flaws I found with my kit that needed adjusting.

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    The bronze bush at the column end of the saddle - is that something you've added as i've never see it before and in all honesty its not required for screw support and with the tolerances on these machines could lead to binding between screw and nut! That may be stopping the screw pushing fully back......it's been a while since mine was apart so can't remember what that end looked like!
    It's not a bushing, it's actually a washer at the end of the ballscrew held in place with a retaining ring, to stop the ballnut from sliding off the end. It's hitting up against the back of the frame.

I'll just make a spacer, shouldn't be too hard. Already got X & Z axes mounted. Should be good by tonight.
    KL-4530 CNC, KL-6060, 5 3D printers, CNC Fusion Converted LMS Milling Machine, 60w Laser Cutter

I actually ordered mine longer than stock to allow for a little extended travel in the y, a few inches more never hurts. You can cut or grind away the center section just big enough for the ball screw to pass through the base a bit, just a thought if your want to take full advantage of the longer screw. If you'd rather not even make a bracket you can just cut some of the other end off. Or just make a simple spaced/bracket

I just ran into the same problem this morning. Mine is the same way. Trying to figure out a solution right now. Kind of sucks I can't make a part with my mill in pieces .

I just found this post on the CNCfusion website forum: CNC Fusion :: View topic - Which kit to get for LMS X2 #3990?. Take a look at the last post on there.

Had the same problem. Decided to grind a pocket in the back of the base. Took about an hour with a dremel and 2 grinding bits. It was kinda a pain but worth it once it was all put together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150412_140513.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	276846

I ordered the CNCFusion kit several years ago for my LMS mill, and I had no such problems with the Y ball screw. In fact if anything, I considered it to be too short. I wonder if perhaps the castings have been altered and have less of a pocket on the base for the Y axis?

As a reference, I purchased my mill brand new from LMS in 2012 and my CNCFusion kit at the same time.