585,886 active members*
5,848 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

CNC a PM Lathe?

Hello, been a while since I have been on here ad there are so many forums now so I hope this is the right section. I am about to buy a new lathe from Precision Matthews I was going to go with a 12x36 that I had on order but after thinking it over I think I am going to go with the 14x40bv that comes with the vfd ad then convert it to CNC.

I seen these on ebay and was wondering if anybody had any experience with them at all CNC XY Mill Drill Lathe Table Mach3 Bobcad V25 Software with 4 Axis Control | eBay

I do not plan to modify the factory carriage but rather add this on when I need to run CNC and mount it to the bed or the carriage. All the parts I need to manufacturer are all pretty small under about 6" long so there is no need to fully CNC the whole machine. So basically mount a quick change tool post to the corner of this table is what I am thinking. I have read around a little and it looks like for some reason Mach3 has issues with threading especially with stepper motors? I have never ran a CNC mill or lathe. I just have a Dynatorch Plasma table and it is really easy to program. Autocad and then convert program to code.

Anyways, will this table add on work for what I want to do? Or is there a better way or program to do this? I like the table idea so I can remove it if I need to to run manual parts. And not tear apart a new machine other than tap into the VFD. I need to try and figure something out pretty quick with a reliable solution.

I do have some stepper motors here as well as I think it is a hobby cnc board I'm not really sure what all I have. I had somebody that was starting to help me design a Plasma table and then never heard form them again and ended up getting the Dynatorch but I am not sure if I can use any of this or would be better off just buying a package like above. I also like the idea that I could remove it and mount it on a mill whenever I get one if need be. Thanks for any help or a better direction to go. I have about a top budget for CNC stuff of $2500-3000 but the cheaper the better since I am about to drop quite a bit on the new lathe.

I forgot to mention I need to be able to run OD and ID threading. Or at least be able to manually tap a 1-1/8"-12 tap into some DOM tube with the tailstock.

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered my Lathe I am going Friday to pick it up PM-1440B and PM-1440BV Metal Lathe I got the variable speed that comes with the VFD

I just found this company CNC Masters that makes a similar lathe that is already converted and can be used CNC or manually. This is what I want to do. I called them and they will not sell the CNC parts separate from the lathe. CNC 1440 Turning Center Lathe, 1440 CNC Lathe | cncmasters.com

Is there anybody on here that can give me any input on setting this machine up?

Its been a long time since ive been on here, but i seen your post on cnc'ing a pm lathe and it caught my attention. I have a 12x36 that i converted about 2 yrs ago and have put a ton of hrs on it. Running it every day since converting it, with little problems. About a yr ago i designed and built an 8 station auto tool turret for it that probably doubled my work output ability. It added more precision and made my life alot easier. I bring up the tool changer because that is something you may want to think about in the future, heck it would even be handy on a manual lathe. Anyways I dont know how much help i will be but heres a questions for ya.

Why do you need the manual option? you can manualy jog the machine with the control if needed, and its way easier to push a button the turn cranks, plus u get a built in DRO. I would just go for full cnc. I see the newbe apeal to the xy table but for the money it adds way to many restrictions.

I think I may just end up going with a Mach Motion system. Still debating on a stepper system or servos though. I did get my PM1440VB here but am having issues with the motor not doing anything. The light and coolant tank and digital speed readout and fan on the motor all work but the spindle will not turn in either direction. I have to call Matt tomorrow and get it figured out.

Do you have any pictures of your lathe and how it was setup with the screws? I found you post on here but all of the pics have dead links. It said you used 220w servos are those strong enough? I was thinking about the 750w servos from Mach Motion if I end up going with servos rather than steppers. I am also debating on if I want to mount some ball screws straight to the motor or use some kind of timing belt and gears.

I think I am just going to drop the XY table Idea it just seems like its going to be a pain to square up just to use the machine manually. I might just add on the step knobs that Mach Motion sells. Not sure yet. That 6k price for their servo setup is a bit more than I was planning on spending and their stepper system is a little bit more reasonable. But I also need this to run production and not be really slow or something from a stepper. I will also need to do internal and external threading.

Also where is a good place to get ball screws from? Thanks.

Hi Jim did also convert my lathe to Cnc and designed a toolchanger i have already an 3D Printed Version "only" have to finnisch it in Steel question how do you Control your lathe ?

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slammedxonair View Post
    I think I may just end up going with a Mach Motion system. Still debating on a stepper system or servos though. I did get my PM1440VB here but am having issues with the motor not doing anything. The light and coolant tank and digital speed readout and fan on the motor all work but the spindle will not turn in either direction. I have to call Matt tomorrow and get it figured out.

Do you have any pictures of your lathe and how it was setup with the screws? I found you post on here but all of the pics have dead links. It said you used 220w servos are those strong enough? I was thinking about the 750w servos from Mach Motion if I end up going with servos rather than steppers. I am also debating on if I want to mount some ball screws straight to the motor or use some kind of timing belt and gears.

I think I am just going to drop the XY table Idea it just seems like its going to be a pain to square up just to use the machine manually. I might just add on the step knobs that Mach Motion sells. Not sure yet. That 6k price for their servo setup is a bit more than I was planning on spending and their stepper system is a little bit more reasonable. But I also need this to run production and not be really slow or something from a stepper. I will also need to do internal and external threading.

Also where is a good place to get ball screws from? Thanks.
    did you try putting the chuck gaurd down then turning on spindle? My PM had a safety switch that wouldnt let the spindle turn on without the chuck gaurd beeing down.

I will see if i can find some pics for ya and I'll snap a cpl more of it now since i have made a few more mods i havent taken any pics of. The 220w servos have been fine but i am running like a 3:1 timing belt setup. They are actualy quite strong, i was supprised. I have my rapids conservitivly set at 100 IPM thats plenty fast enough for me. I had them set at 200 for a while but that was just scary fast. I dont think i would go any smaller on the servos though. And for me the servo vs stepper question for a lathe or a mill is an easy one, I only use servos because i need the closed loop the encoder provides.

I havent looked much at the mach motion stuff but im sure its nice for that price. As for id and od threading, no problem its super easy but here is where you want at least 100 IPM on your Z axis.

A good place for ballscrews I have not found. I used the anti backlash screws from china. But i am looking to replace at least the x screw real soon It has developed some backlash that is causing problems for me.

I'll try to get those pics up tonight for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Tkamsker View Post
    Hi Jim did also convert my lathe to Cnc and designed a toolchanger i have already an 3D Printed Version "only" have to finnisch it in Steel question how do you Control your lathe ?

I use Mach3 Lathe. It was a lil strange to me at first but works well.

Thanks for the replies. Any pictures of how things are setup would be great. I have really been thinking about the servos as my Dynatorch Plasma table runs on servos as well as my vinyl plotter so, I really don't have much experience with steppers. The lower price is what makes them interesting. But I think I will just keep saving for the servo setup and once I get all my ball screws and brackets figured out and setup. Just pull the trigger and order a servo setup. What brand are your servos?

I had some stuff such as BOB and relay board and some steppers that I originally bought to build a plasma table before I just got the Dynatorch to get up and running. But I just sold that as I was not really sure how to set the stuff up and the Mach Motion system looks a lot faster to get up and running. That 6K price tag is a bit rough though after just buying the Lathe.

Also my lathe does not have a chuck guard and I do not see a sensor on the gear box cover like the 12x36 video. I'm about to call Matt here in few min to see if we can figure it out. I think its something with the VFD or a switch some where.

I think Calculate the Tread of the z and x axis into Revolution of the stepper with your expected speeds then you See if stepper is sufficient in my case it was ..

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Re: CNC a PM Lathe?

Heres a cpl pictures from just after i converted it. I have changed a few things but this gives you the general idea of my basic setup.

Attachment 229052
    Attachment 229054
    Attachment 229056
    Attachment 229058

And heres a cpl quick shots as it sits right now. Ya its a lil dirty I have been super busy, not much time to clean right now. All the stuff i did is powder coated so it cleans off real nice.

In case your wondering the box looking thing on the back chip gaurd is open on the bottom and my wire track is mounted sideways under there.

The 8 station tool turret unlocks and locks on a hirth coupler, using shop air. It is rotated via a gearmotor i added an encoder to so i can control is like a servo. Its all controled by a script in mach3

There is alot of things i still want to do to this machine but its hard to make changes when its running all the time.

Attachment 229062
    Attachment 229064

Thanks for the pics looks like the machine is definitely paying for its self. Is there any advantage or disadvantage as to running the gear belts vs a direct servo to screw? I'm sure adding the tool turret helps speed things up a bit. But that will probably be the last thing I end up doing.

I also got my lathe spinning. The wires on the plugs were mixed up. I could not find a diagram anywhere so I thought N label on one of them was the neutral/ground wire blue one, the red one had a L on it so I figured the green/yellow wire was the other L for leg but apparently it was supposed to say PE or something on it. I'm surprised it didn't pop the breaker. But it's running now. The light is also much brighter haha. I have some basic tooling on order from Matt the TMX 4pc set. I aso received my head ad way oil yesterday from MSC along with some ridged tap holders. I am looking into some floating die and tap holders as well. This way I can speed up my most common parts I need to build.

The price on the floating holders kind of sucks, knowing I could put the $ towards going CNC and cut the threads with threading tools. But after I thought about it I figured at least this way I can make what I need to now and let the machine start paying for its self while I save for the CNC conversion and get everything down how I want it. Especially if I go with Mach Motion its going to cost as much to convert it as the machine cost. But at least I'm still in for about 1/3 what a Hass TL-1 costs and maybe I can use the floating tap and die holders running CNC and maybe cut threads faster than the machine running single point?

So I guess from this point I should probably make a call to Mach Motion or figure out on here what size ball screws I need and really which servos to go with as I was looking at the 750w on their site. The biggest thing I like about their setup is all the plug in harnesses. I hate wiring lol.

Did you make your turret or retrofit it off something else? The more I think about it I am actually happy I decided to bump from the 12x36 up to the 14x40 mainly because of the 2" spindle bore and the 3phase motor and VFD that came with it. I am actually pretty impressed with the machine being an import because I was originally looking for some old American Iron but having fresh ways and electronics to tap into for CNC is nice.

I built the turret completely from scratch. I did some research on turrets that other people had built and really didnt like any of them so i kinda designed mine around what i liked and disliked about the others. So far im very happy with it. Its rock solid, it repeats dead on everytime and its quite fast. Ill have to shoot a vid of it sometime. And ya what a time saver wow!! Beats the heck out of a quick change tool post any day.

I also designed my turret from scratch because i was Not happy Mine is designed to work without Shop Air ,.. But i had to get an Cnc Mill to Finnisch it - so i am still in the making ,..

Does anybody know if the floating tap and die holders will thread faster than the cnc single point method?

I think it depends on the size of the thread and the material being cut. Single point makes a nicer thread but your not going to be able to thread small holes like 1/4-20 with a single point. Or your not going to make a 3 inch thread with a floating tap holder. So each has its best uses.

Ok, the majority of my threads will be UNF in 3/4 to 1-1/4 maybe some down in the 1/2" range. I think I'm going to order these floating holders at least for now so I can get some production done with the machine. And then start setting aside a fund to convert it to CNC and hopefully do that sometime in the summer when I slow down a little. I really appreciate the help.

Hi

Check this if you still did not decide what to buy, all is bought on e bay

Part 4 CNC lathe story - YouTube

:cheers:

Page 1 of 2 12