585,987 active members*
4,344 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hyundai Kia > Clogged coolant between turret housing and turret

Clogged coolant between turret housing and turret

How difficult is it to remove the turret and clean the line then reinstall the turret? Will I run into alignment problems?

Jerry

Very easy on a HIT-18S, only machine I've done. remove 4 screws that hold on cap in center of turret and remove. UNCLAMP turret, remove round slotted nut, pull off turret. I remove all tooling first to make it lighter. Note which tool is in cutting position and put it back on that way. Do not loosen any other bolts.

BNR_Randy Thanks for the come back. I started by taking the turret off (10 cap bolts). It seems that the coolant channels for each position were open (some what). Next layer down (a steel plate 1" thick) is a brass nozzle that is spring loaded against the turret for the coolant to flow through to mate up with the holes for each position. The brass nozzle didn't move but was clear. Where the problem was the back side of the steel plate (really gunk up). There is a 6mm by 4mm deep grove that runs around the back side of the plate pack with metal fines (this is the coolant channel from the turret housing that leads to the spring loaded brass nozzle).

At this point need to order a bunch of O-rings and seals (I'm there why not).

The question is there any (inexpensive) inline filter units that can filter these fines out of the coolant?

Jerry

Re: Clogged coolant between turret housing and turret

Auto9,
    I don't know if this will help you or not, but on my Haas I use a product called Chip-Trap that uses a very effective element.
    You can take one of these filters and build a dam around your pump intake.
    After the present job in my HiT 18S I plan to pull the chip conveyor and coolant tank for maintenance and may address the filter issue on my machine.
    Regards, Ray
    ​"There is no such thing as a gun free zone."
    Ray Brandes, Ray-Vin.Com, PCB, FL 32408 USA