584,846 active members*
3,953 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Chip Auger

Chip Auger

Anyone figure out a way to turn on chip auger at a certain point in program,,like say roughing,then turn off for rest of program.
    Scripting I would imagine.
    Have a Haas,anybody,SBC ?

Re: Chip Auger

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Anyone figure out a way to turn on chip auger at a certain point in program,,like say roughing,then turn off for rest of program.
    Scripting I would imagine.
    Have a Haas,anybody,SBC ?
    I think you will need to contact HAAS on this, it all depends on just how the Auger is operated, other I/O stuff like for example coolant pump will just have an M command (M8/M9 coolant on/off) or clamp (M10/M11 clamp on/off), if there is such an M command within the HAAS control then in theory all you would need to do would be to use an "Advanced Posting" setup in BC and just switch the Auger on/off as required for any given feature.

HAAS do have their own odd ways of doing things and I do know they have an M97 Subprogram call so there might be a way to utilise that to start/stop the Auger, sounds like time to get the Manuals out

Enjoy !!!!!

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

"sounds like time to get the Manuals out"

I PM'd the whiz kid too

M 31 start
    M 33 stop
    but I need help from there

M31 starts the optional chip conveyor motor in the forward direction; the direction that moves the chips out of the machine. The conveyor will not turn if the door is open. It is recommended that the chip auger be used intermittently. Continuous operation will cause the motor to overheat.
    M33 Stops Conveyor motion.
    M34 Coolant Increment / M35 Coolant Decrement
    M34 moves the optional P-Cool spigot one position away from the current position (farther from home).
    M35 moves the coolant spigot one position towards the home position.

M51-M58 Set Optional User M Codes
    The M51 through M58 codes are optional for user interfaces. They will activate one of the relays and leave it active.
    Use M61-M68 to turn these off. The RESET key will turn off all of these relays.
    See M21-M28 for details on the M-Code relays.

Document 96-8000 rev N
    June 2006
    M Codes
    page 165

Jest,I am looking for an advanced post solution.So how do I implement this ? I need the advance post check box,I get that,but I need a script ??? I want to turn on when I want and turn off at end of feature.I also want it off normally.
    ps,I do not want chip conveyor to run all the time,only for short times at my digression.

There is a setting to turn door switch off,btw

Here is a thread that is so close to what I need,but that scripting just gets me all confused.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bobcad...t-coolant.html

This shouldn't be terribly difficult to do. It would probably be best if it worked like you asked, On for a certain feature then Off as soon as that feature is completed. I've been working on something similar using the M-code relays to do other stuff. Give me some time and don't hesitate to bug me if I forget. It's been a hectic year.

Quote Originally Posted by SBC Cycle View Post
    This shouldn't be terribly difficult to do. It would probably be best if it worked like you asked, On for a certain feature then Off as soon as that feature is completed. I've been working on something similar using the M-code relays to do other stuff. Give me some time and don't hesitate to bug me if I forget. It's been a hectic year.

I knew you would chime in sooner or later,,,thanks,,,this is something that would be really handy to have.

Just to let you know, I found an immediate need for the same function. After 7 years of buying the lathe software over and over again I am just beginning my foray into the roundy-round side of the software.

The last week I've been running aluminum hubs nonstop and I get (2) 55 barrel drums a day coming out of the conveyor. I don't know if the conveyor is any different than the auger but I've been letting it run constantly just to keep up with the pile of shavings coming off the part hard and fast. I'm no stranger to a lathe but it's not "my thing" and I'm still fumbling my way around (ended up having to hand code as I was pressed for time). I see a few options on when to turn it on and off but I'd like to find a way to "time" it. In the mill it's not uncommon to have one feature that may take up to 50 minutes, I imagine that's probably longer than it should run.

I know there is a setting (114 or 115?) that can control the "On" time but I don't think it works if an M31 is specifically coded into the program. I might ask this question in the Haas forum here in a bit.

Anyway, working on it!

On/Off by feature will work for me if need be.

Testing?

Block 40:
    Code:
    40. Start of Operation
    	program_block_40
    Program Block 40: (at the end of the post processor file)
    Code:
    2040.  Program Block 40 - Conveyor

Dim ConvOnOff
    	ConvOnOff = MILL_GetUserCheckBoxVariable(1)	' GET *.CUSTOMMILLING SETTINGS - CHECK_BOX 2
    	If ConvOnOff = 1 Then
    	MILL_ProcessPostLine("n,'M31 (Conveyor On)'")
    	Else
    '	MILL_OutputText("DONOTHING")
    End If
    And save this in your Post folder, rename to match your post but make sure it keeps the extension *.CustomMilling
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks SBC,but it is going to be a while......I take it you have not tested it ?
    Working on Manual Lathe and Mills this week and next at home.

It was a really long time since I ran a manual lathe last but I did a bit last week. I do miss it a bit, but just a bit

I did test it but I realized I never put anything in there to turn it off. I didn't notice for a while because it always shuts of at M30 and it was mostly short runs. I'm going to find a place to stick it into my post as well, it's a waste not to use the features of the machine and I'm trying to remember all the time to jog the auger every now and again when I'm making a lot of chips. I'll update when I get it finalized.