585,883 active members*
5,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamWorks > CamWorks cutter comp issues (Or so I think)

CamWorks cutter comp issues (Or so I think)

Hello guys,
    I'm having some issues with cutter compensation I believe, I have my tool defined both in CamWorks and in my Haas VF 3SS on the floor, length diameter and tool number fully defined. I am having some issues I believe somewhere seeing as the cutter is displaced about .25" away from the part and operating. I checked stock size, etc. I don't know where my problem is exactly. I went back and did some double checking and it seems the only logical thing is that CamWorks is cutter comping incorrectly? Anyone have experience with CamWorks and had this issue at all? Any help would be appreciated thank you all!

Re: CamWorks cutter comp issues (Or so I think)

Seems that it has something to do with the solid model and how it was drawn. I believe it has some kind of an issue when reversing the axis for my mill ops. I have several setups and machine off of different locations on the part. Maybe something in this is conflicting. I have gone through and confirmed the stock size, the CAD, the tool path, cutter selection, cutter offsets, mill offsets. It almost seems as if it is machining on the wrong side of the X axis if this makes sense? How can I reverse this!? I see an option in the part setup parameters but it will not let me change it. Please help! Tired of being stuck on this project! Thank you all.

Try using wear comp instead. I have seen this issue at work with a trial version they are thinking of buying. Using comp it is making bad parts. use wear and it follows the path fine. Just have to label the programs correctly so as not to be confused with the different cutter comps.

Check your code first, if it is incorrect and everything is correct in camworks then the problem maybe was caused by post. If code was correct then check your setting on machine. You can also turn off compensation first to help you find out where the problem is.

Figured it out guys, I appreciate all the help. Still newer to CamWorks but it ended up having stock origin issues. I appreciate everyone's help here and I look forward to being able to help others myself some day too. Thanks!

If we are using a re ground end mill for a volumill tool path we have to put the diameter in for the tool. Once we post it out we change the height offset to a different tool number. For example our 3/4 end mill is in T29, we enter the diameter of the re ground end mill (.715) under the tool tab, we have to turn the H & T agreement off, change the height offset (H) to tool 43 (we set the height offset in T29 & T43) once the code is posted. Is there a different way to approach this? The cutter comp is not recognized for the roughing tool path like what was said above. We will also finish the perimeter with the 3/4 end mill, while on the contour tool path the cutter comp is reconigzed.