584,829 active members*
4,890 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamWorks > CamWorks - Angled surface - how would you approach?
Page 1 of 2 12

CamWorks - Angled surface - how would you approach?

Hi guys

Over the last day or so I've been trying to find which method is best to mill this angled surface.

In another cam package I've used I just run an endmill down the hill in straight lines and get an acceptable finish, but in CamWorks I cannot find a way that doesn't leave steps in the angle requiring extra hand sanding later.

I also have a couple angled surfaces like this that are external and not in a pocket, so advice on those also would be appreciated.

Re: CamWorks - Angled surface - how would you approach?

turn the cut direction 90 degrees ? and then it will be the same as your other cam package ?

Using what method though?

It won't allow me to select the angle as a 2.5 mill, will only let me select it as a 3 axis mill, I cannot find a feature that allows for straight cuts that are not a objecting type movement

I'm wondering about this also, not in camworks, but in general.
    Is there a name for this toolpath? inclined plane?
    I was trying to figure this out, using indexed B axis to tilt the tool tip perpendicular to the angled surface, with the hopes of a cam that would translate XYZ movement.
    It may work just as well as a regular 3d toolpath.

In case anyone out there know the answer but doesn't understand the dilemma.
    (I think we have the same issue)
    We need the cam to make a basic 2d pocketing toolpath, but in a plane at an angle to XZ or YZ

Right?

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post

We need the cam to make a basic 2d pocketing tool path, but in a plane at an angle to XZ or YZ

Right?
    Pretty much.

I just need the angled plane to appear flat, not stepped!

The closest I've come with CamWorks is using the "Constant Stepover" feature, but it still pockets out, so there is still slight steps at the ends when it moves to the neck path.

I cannot figure out a way for it to do the full movement in a straight line, then move across and do the next full movement in a straight line without pocketing.

I think hand editing in the Z depth would be the easiest way, assuming the cam outputs the pocket as lines the entire length of the pocket, and not hundreds of segments.

I was thinking about it, if doing it the way I was thinking, there would be a cusp, just like using a ball nose cutter on a non angled surface.
    What kind of stepover would be good for say a 1/2" diam cutter, to remove most of the cusp?

yes there will be a slight rounding on the surface ... have you tried a Legacy finish ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bl@ckrat View Post
    yes there will be a slight rounding on the surface ... have you tried a Legacy finish ?
    I had tried the Legacy rough, which didn't follow the plane so I never tried the Legacy finish.

I just did so and yes, it it so far the best option! Much better than what I had as a backup plan

I am however failing to get it to cut the entire path which leave's an odd shape, eg: for some reason it enters 1/3 up the ledge in the first cut and exits 1/3 of the way back down the ledge on the last, I cannot see anywhere to change this in the settings

Thank you for pointing me in this direction.

erm, you should be able to change start and finish parameters .... will need to double check that

I still haven't been able to fix the start finish thing, but I did run this tool path today to see how smooth those angled cuts are and I'm very happy with the finish.

Now just to fix that start finish thing and remove all the air cutting I had from cross over paths.

Hey demonx,

This looked like an interesting problem so I made a similar model and used legacy finish mill with slice and zigzag to get this toolpath. This looks like it might work. I always like to move up in Z so I went from side to side instead of end to end with a hog nose cutter.

Harvdog

Attachment 257938
    Attachment 257940

Yes check parameters

Still looks good, but still may need hand finish, or a bead blaster to improved finished product

it might don't looking so professional... but...

long time, before programs were not so accessible than today..
    make a flat toolpath

save g code. written Z value in each block

load into excel, and get Z value either from X or Y value.. pending wheres the inclinatinon directed..

my another opinion, setting the toolpath direction to the inclination, can be set larger stepover then across to the inclination...

Well that's a thought, Look into a different cam system, if you plan to do 3-d surfacing.

its not a tought :-)

when cnc, or say in that time was called NC got out to simple companies, there were no ""camprogram"" on the market..

I only pulled it up as an interesting approach.. I don't wish people use it.. it just possible..

today these methods are forgotten because even free camprograms available..
    in the late 70s or early 80's there were no software company at all on the market..

I do remember tape drive cnc, very hard to edit punch tape. Just not able to to what the technology has to offer today's standards. Thanks FISHINGUY.

youre right..

on the high end, some program system cost almost like a cheaper house..
    on the low end (in price) free and very low cost programs offer almost same.. less comfortable, but you get the ability with them..

the high speed machining where tool engagement is equalized present in the most expenses systems..
    on other end it also present in cambam.. for 150... so we can say buy what you can afford..

I saw in 1980 first ""cnc"" ... I had already 5 year behind me on conventional machines.. so I could see what advantages coming from.. I was only bystander because only engineers programmed and operated them.. no one knew where it will grow out..
    only much later around 90 got closer..

Quote Originally Posted by alan_3301 View Post
    I'm wondering about this also, not in camworks, but in general.
    Is there a name for this toolpath? inclined plane?
    I was trying to figure this out, using indexed B axis to tilt the tool tip perpendicular to the angled surface, with the hopes of a cam that would translate XYZ movement.
    It may work just as well as a regular 3d toolpath.

In case anyone out there know the answer but doesn't understand the dilemma.
    We need the cam to make a basic 2d pocketing toolpath, but in a plane at an angle to XZ or YZ

Right?
    Sure camworks can do this, but you need to modify your post to support it.
    Assign the part setup perpendicular to the plane that you are going to machining and assign a fixture coordinate system which will be your work coordinate system (G54 ~ G59).
    In the post, you must turn on world coordinate output by setting => WORLD_POSITIONING=TRUE

Page 1 of 2 12