585,754 active members*
3,992 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bystronic Bystar 2512 performance issues

Hello,

I am helping a small company, Detroit Bikes, improve the performance of a used Bystronic Bystar 2512. Some details about the machine:

Built in 1995
    Running LCC files built with BySoft 5.3.
    Primary cutting material is 4130 Chrome=Molybdenum Steel from either flat-stock or tubing of various diameter, for frame dropouts and rear cargo rack, and frame tube sections, respectively.

Due to lack of knowledge regarding the complexity of the machine, regularly scheduled maintenance has not occurred until recently. My prior experience with laser technology dealt with sensors, not with fabrication; but I have an engineering background so I agreed to help troubleshoot some of the issues the operating technician is having. Since I started helping the tech, the machine's performance has improved significantly, however, a problem with consistent cutting persists. The machine will cut either tubing or flat-stock with few rejects during the early part of the day. During the last couple of hours of use during a typical day, the cutting performance decreases; the machine won't cut cleanly, leaving melted material stuck in place on flat stock, or the tubing sections won't fully separate. So it seems as if the laser is not cutting hot enough. The tech has attempted to rectify this via tweaking of laser power and gas pressure, but has not found a solution. I've helped him maintain the machine cleanliness and empty or change filters that had become blocked. This helped but did not resolve the issue. The other lead I'm following is power supply; I'm curious if the transformer on the electrical drop to the plant provides sufficient power for the plant's requirements. I am corresponding with the power company to assess this.
    Since I'm basically inexperience with this technology, I'm open to advice. There are other performance issues I need to address, however I wish to address them one at a time. If anyone reviewing the forum has ideas, please share them with me.

Regards,
    Patrick McEnaney

Re: Bystronic Bystar 2512 performance issues

I too thought of the main power.

With the heat so high, and the power coming into the plant, or facility can drop considerably. We had a machine that went through this... what we did is put in an Auto Transformer, which will always provide the proper voltage, no matter what the input power supplied. Of course it will need to be rated for the Voltage and Wattage needed... by the machine.

In another factory we put in a power conditionner, which is a little more sophisticated of a solution.

I like it, that you are starting at A and going to Z.... very wise approach.
    Robot & Machine Design - BLUECNC4, GreenCNC3, RedCNC2L, SilverCNC2; CNC Software!
    www.truemachinedesign.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - www.truemachineautomation.com