584,812 active members*
5,416 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Buying/building a plasma on a budget

I program burn tables and turret punches as my day job but I want to work from my home on the side doing my own thing.

I've got a budget of $12,000 and already figured I can't afford anything turn-key stateside.

I'm wanting a 4x8 table.

I've seen quite a few turn key tables out of China with Hypertherm plasmas for less than $10k but haven't seen any reviews or anyone using one.

What has everyone else done?

Re: Buying/building a plasma on a budget

Check some of the build threads on CNCZone. A lot have used a gantry kit (PrecisionPlasmaLLC.com) coupled with an electronics kit with integral THC, and built good 4 X 8 tables for about 1/2 of your budget (including software). The single most important feature of a CNC plasma table you intend to make money with, is support. Someone to call and that will answer the phone and talk to you in your language. I can't help but think with user ID like FordBoy357 your native language is not Mandarin. There are LOTS of choices in the size you want in finished tables at your price point. See the finished tables at ArcLightCNC.com or the BTA tables or LDRMotionsystems.com
    A little more research is going to save you a lot of money and frustration. You are welcome to join our Online Support Forum listed below. It is open to all CNC builders/owners and especially plasma guys

TOMcaudle
    www.CandCNC.com
    Support Forum at http://www.candcnc.net/supportforum.. .

Tom,
    How would you compare procutcnc and precision plasma? Consider the low end to handle thin sheet 22ga.
    Precision does not supply bolt together base, while procut does. Procut seems cheaper too.

I abstain from comment on ProCut.